Oil changes on 50/50 street/track?

cornerslider

PLEASE don't beat me up on this one........ (I'm new to KTM, and sport bikes in general)- How often are people changing the oil on these bikes? I know what the manual says, but that seems like a REALLY bad idea, and it's geared towards street riders only. I did the initial 600 mile oil change, new screens, new filter- VERY interesting...... I do about 8-10 track days a year. I recently switched to the RC390 after riding a supermoto for many years. I used to change my oil in my CRF450R (supermoto) every 5 hours of "tach time" on the hour meter. That was strictly a track bike, with no odometer. Supermoto bikes are run VERY hard, and used in a manner which they were never intended to be used. Now, I'm running 50/50 street/track and don't really know what to do? This motor seems pretty "high-strung" like a supermoto, but people seem to be getting some decent mileage out of these motors? I did install an hour meter on my RC at the 600 mile service. I'm not sure if I should go by hours, or milage? I used to run Amsoil in everything I own. I reluctantly switched to Motoule 15W-50 on the RC (I fear change). I don't know much about this oil, or it's longevity. Any constructive advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance-

zaster

Country flag
Any good quality synthetic 15W-50 oil, air and oil filter will do.
Check the sight glass for color change since a rich/lean running bike or gasket issue show up there.

OldVet

No more that these things hold an oil change is pretty cheap, I change mine every 2,500 miles or so with Amsoil synthetic... So far a little over ten thousand street miles only... I don't have an hour meter on my 390.

I ran Motoule 15W-50 in my first KTM a 450 EXC and the valve train only lasted 150 hours so I'm not a big fan of Motoule.

74d34h

The attached photo is my wife's bike at around 1500 miles. We bought the bike from a dealer used at 1200 miles or so. They said the first service was performed at the dealer. My guess from what I saw was they only changed the oil not all the filters, or maybe they didn't even do anything! The oil was disgusting black. You can see the filter vs a brand new one. I switched the bike to Motul 300V 15w50. Since then my wife has racked up 800 miles and 2 trackdays. Next week will be her 3rd trackday, I will do another oil and filters changeout. Only to ensure the last change flushed out any garbage left. I plan to have hers done every 1500-2000 miles depending on how many trackdays. Some people are happy stretching out oil change frequencies I look at it as cheap insurance. I ride the shit out of my bikes ( '16 R1 and '11 ZX6R trackbike) and I change every 2000 miles only using Motul 300V. This is just a guy on the internets opinion however.

IMG_2338.JPG

nino209

i figure the cost of doing an oil change on it is so low, i do it often.
my bike sees track day and race duty only, if its a race weekend 4 races, i change it right after.
track day duty: i will do 2 to 3 track days on the same oil.
motul 15/50 full synthetic

ratlab

i change oil after every track day regardless of mileage.otherwise every 2000 miles on this bike.

Wa2fst

Country flag
Keep in mind the manual calls for semi syn oil..there is such a thing as having oil thats to slick. Ive had a lower gearing go out on another brand bike and was attributed from using full syn oil instead of semi. Dealers can refuse ur earranty as well if they know.

that said bel ray makes a good semi. Also i only track mine but change after every 2 weekends. So i would change after every weekend if i knew i was going to be street riding a little bit between track days. So street track change should be decent coverage and not to pricey on constant changes.