Oil leak - help needed please

Bike has now done 11500 Ks and have finally just sorted a stalling / running poor issue after 1 year of ownership thanks to CJ Wells and KTM performance.

Ok so riding me from work today feeling really good that the bike is running like a dream - only to notice when about to park the bike in the garage a friggen oil leak.

Located left rear stud area when sitting on the bike - at head gasket and base gasket - What should I do?

I have also shown a photo of where the oil is ending up (under starter motor hmmmm! ) Note I had wiped the barrel was more oil than photo shows Help Please KTM RC 390 Mates :confused:

Attachments

• DSC05224.jpg
    DSC05224.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 684
  • DSC05226.jpg
    DSC05226.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 673

Hekimpd

That would be awesome if it was just a valve cover gasket. It's probably something small, so don't fret.

AirRsq

The valve cover gasket is a PITA to get situated perfectly, especially on the right side where the cam shaft ends protrude. The engine is so surgically implanted between the frame trellis', that you have to be very diligent in getting the gasket in perfectly and not misaligning it while trying to seat the valve cover. A slight misalignment might be the source of your leak.

sturge

As with any oil leak step 1 is to really search and find the source. Seeing where it ends up does not help. This can be time consuming and may take a few iterations of totally cleaning where oil appears then going for a short ride to see if you can find fresh oil at the source.

Look higher... It's above head gasket by last pic. Valve cover area.

If the leak is above the head gasket like you say - must be valve cover - as I also have a leak from the right front cam plug ( excuse my lack of knowledge terminology) this being said the only time this has
been touched is at the first service for valve adjustments. Although this has been mentioned on the forum before should this be a warranty claim to be put right? The bike has done 10,500 Ks since the first service ( although have had another service in between plus a couple of extra oil changes ) we have a 2 year warranty in Australia - maybe worth going for a warranty fix ? or they may say just wear and tear!!! although my KTM dealer has always seen my right to date RE : leaking indicators (replaced ) Cracked air box ( replaced)

Also thanks to all the replies they are very much appreciated - Cheers

msquared

I had an oil leak on my bike for a while. It started when I took it in for the 600m service.

Eventually the dealer said they had it fixed twice, ended up having the bike 3 times before it was actually fixed. Went through 3 valve cover gaskets, and one valve cover. So evidently that area of the bike is challenging.

Update on oil leak - Ok so it was not an oil leak - A very small amount of fuel has been leaking from the filter under the tank and running down the side of the fuel body and down the side of the cylinder as per the photos.

The oil look is just from residue on the motor - this could have been a bit of a major fire hazard as no smell of petrol was present - but once I had removed the petrol tank I could clearly see fuel at the filter outlet / hose clamp when the ignition

was switched on and pressure from the pump - Just thought I would share as it is something to be aware of - All fixed