Oil Level?

Ryanthegreat1

So I did my oil change and cleaned the screens and replaced the oil filter. I poured in 1.6L of oil and that took it right to the full mark on the sight glass.

All is good right?

No, service manual says to warm up the engine to operating temp, shut off the engine and wait 1 minute and then check the level. Well that does not even register in the sight glass not even after sitting for 10 minutes. Added 0.1L to make 1.7L total and still nothing.

Yes the bike is level on a level surface. So what gives?

Add oil? Stay at 1.7L and go by the oil level when cold?

EDIT: Duke390 service manual says 1.6L of oil, RC390 owners manual says 1.7L. Might got add a tiny bit more and see if it shows up on the sight glass.

Last edited:

Fasteddy

Country flag
So I did my oil change and cleaned the screens and replaced the oil filter. I poured in 1.6L of oil and that took it right to the full mark on the sight glass.

All is good right?

No, service manual says to warm up the engine to operating temp, shut off the engine and wait 1 minute and then check the level. Well that does not even register in the sight glass not even after sitting for 10 minutes. Added 0.1L to make 1.7L total and still nothing.

Yes the bike is level on a level surface. So what gives?

Add oil? Stay at 1.7L and go by the oil level when cold?

EDIT: Duke390 service manual says 1.6L of oil, RC390 owners manual says 1.7L. Might got add a tiny bit more and see if it shows up on the sight glass.

I think I ended up at 1.9L, warmed sat, rode and added again....

Fasteddy

Country flag
I think I ended up at 1.9L, warmed sat, rode and added again....

Engine oil 1.6 l (1.7 qt.) same in both RC / Duke shop and owners manual, I just did a quick check of what was left in the bottle I ended up using just a bit more then 1.8 Liters. I did it in liters so I did not have to think in tenths of a quart, .7 of 32 oz.... so like 61.7 oz...

Treachery

Country flag
Mine was low at 1.7 after the initial fill and start-up; fine after a ride. My Triumph took nearly a quarter quart more than spec.

fs1ephil

Hi, on first start up after changing the filter and cleaning the screens the oil filter will suck up and hold quite a bit of oil.
Id always advise to soak the new oil filter with new oil before inserting it into the engine.
Not only will the oil pressure build up more quickly your engine won't gulp a fistful of air through the oil feeds and momentarily run without pressure fed lubrication. You will also have less oil to top up after running the engine and rechecking the level. Hope this helps

Last edited:

micahpearlman

Did you drain / clean the screens and if so were they metal flaked etc.?

I had just 5 miles on my bike. Had to drain the oil to drill the drain bolts for safety wire. There was a bunch of what looked like yellow paint flakes in the upper screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fs1ephil

Your asking for advice as to why your oil is so low after starting the bike up after a complete oil change using a new dry oil filter or am I missing the point?

Manufacturers can quote a dry engine oil quantity but once an engine had oil inside it, it will never be dry and will still have oil left over after you drain it.
They can also quote oil quantity with out the filter being changed and will obviously be less because a filter can hold a 1/4 of a litre of oil.

Its best to use the quoted quantity as a guide line and form there fill and top up until your satisfied the level is correct in the sight glass.

The oil level dropped because you used a new dry oil filter that sucked up quite a bit of oil when you first run the engine.

Warm up the engine hold the bike upright for two minutes check level, if low top up a little bit, hold the bike upright and recheck, and top up until the level is just below the high mark. Job done. Forget figures use your eyes, get the level correct and if you accidentally go over drain some and start again.

if your not sure, honestly take it to your dealer because if you do it wrong either to low or too high can damage your engine.

Last edited:

s30series

Hi, on first start up after changing the filter and cleaning the screens the oil filter will suck up and hold quite a bit of oil.
Id always advise to half fill the new oil filter with new oil before screwing it onto the engine.
Not only will the oil pressure build up more quickly your engine won't gulp a fistful of air through the oil feeds and momentarily run without pressure fed lubrication. You will also have less oil to top up after running the engine and rechecking the level. Hope this helps

Do you own an rc390? It does not have a filter you can pre-fill

fs1ephil

image.jpgI own 2015 390rc 2014 z1000se and a 1989 Yamaha Fs1e.
I should of said you soak the new Ktm filter in the new oil before installing.
This is my trade 25years Yamaha Ktm and Suzuki.
i have even put up a blog on modifying your 390rc tail section check it out.
Page 1 - ktm390rc.simplesite.com

Last edited:
Fasteddy - all

Three full oil changes (all screens and the filter) and crap still came out. Moving from assembly stuff to now maybe trany particulate. When I did the shift detent change I only dropped the oil. Still found small amounts of "stuff" in the oil drain screen. 1.7liters was perfect for the refill.

Last edited:

Fasteddy

Country flag
Fasteddy - all

Three full oil changes (all screens and the filter) and crap still came out. Moving from assembly stuff to now maybe trany particulate. When I did the shift detent change I only dropped the oil. Still found small amounts of "stuff" in the oil drain screen. 1.7liters was perfect for the refill.

That just does not sound reassuring, I know it is a premature though. but I bought it to ride so I keep thinking to myself ' self, order spare engine...'

Treachery

Country flag
Appreciate the advice on soaking the filter...not gonna happen. Not up for the mess.

I'll admit to a little discomfort with the gradoux in the oil. With "modern" engines supposedly being built to close tolerances, not what I was expecting.

Nice kawi, BTW.

fs1ephil

Appreciate the advice on soaking the filter...not gonna happen. Not up for the mess.

I'll admit to a little discomfort with the gradoux in the oil. With "modern" engines supposedly being built to close tolerances, not what I was expecting.

Nice kawi, BTW.

Thanks. As long as the screen filters and oil filter are doing there job at catching the cra* in the oil I wouldn't worry to much.
Ktm build the engine run it up on a dyno, drain the oil, change filter, refill and recheck valve clearances before the engine will leave the factory in a bike.
Pretty thorough in my book. I'm running mine in to the 600m before I change mine, just topping up if needed. None of the
particulates can recirculate and I'm confident that Ktm no what their on about.

Did you look at the Tail section Mod? It took me a couple of hours to do but I have got all tools and equipment to hand. Enjoyed doing it lol

Treachery

Country flag
Link to the tail mod?

It's not just the stuff in the screens and the filter. The drained oil had way too much "glitter" to it. But that's in another thread.