Oil Level?

Fasteddy

Country flag
Thanks. As long as the screen filters and oil filter are doing there job at catching the cra* in the oil I wouldn't worry to much.
Ktm build the engine run it up on a dyno, drain the oil, change filter, refill and recheck valve clearances before the engine will leave the factory in a bike.
Pretty thorough in my book. I'm running mine in to the 600m before I change mine, just topping up if needed. None of the
particulates can recirculate and I'm confident that Ktm no what their on about.

Built by Bajaj in India, seriously, seriously doubt "run it up on a dyno, drain the oil, change filter, refill and recheck valve clearances" . Fact, comes out of crate dry, as in no oil.

guzz46

Built by Bajaj in India, seriously, seriously doubt "run it up on a dyno, drain the oil, change filter, refill and recheck valve clearances" . Fact, comes out of crate dry, as in no oil.

The bikes we got in NZ came with oil, my local dealer said basically the only thing he had to do was fit the mirrors.

fs1ephil

I no they are built in Bajaj but you obviously don't no that all bikes go back to Austria to be checked before they are sold. That's a fact not a guess.
If you don't believe me contact Ktm and get the facts for yourself.
I don't put up posts on guesses I've worked within this industry for years.

Heres a cut from an article we receive from the manufacturers bulletin where I work.

It’s an important enough model for KTM to summon the world’s press to Mattighofen, near Salzburg, for a tour of the factory and a blast on the roads nearby. Like the smaller Dukes, the 390 is built at Pune in India, by KTM’s partner Bajaj, before being shipped to Austria for a final check.

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Heres a cut from an article we receive from the manufacturers bulletin where I work.

It’s an important enough model for KTM to summon the world’s press to Mattighofen, near Salzburg, for a tour of the factory and a blast on the roads nearby. Like the smaller Dukes, the 390 is built at Pune in India, by KTM’s partner Bajaj, before being shipped to Austria for a final check.

You know, my dealer said something along those lines, but I hadn't read it anywhere in any of the press, so I thought it was dealer hype. I find that interesting, along with all the other "OK for USA" markings and stickers. Different QC, different regs, both?

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The cup bikes are converted in Austria. The USA bikes come directly from India, ONLY the European bikes are shipped and inspected in Austria. Would cost way too much money to crate/re-crate/ship a 5k bike around the world. That's a FACT.

fs1ephil

The cup bikes are converted in Austria. The USA bikes come directly from India, ONLY the European bikes are shipped and inspected in Austria. Would cost way too much money to crate/re-crate/ship a 5k bike around the world. That's a FACT.

Oh ok I had no idea that the bikes you get are directly from India, you say that's a fact but from what sources? I'm not saying your wrong just find it interesting especially as I no how strict Ktm are. What are you paying for the Rc390's in the states UK Sterling? Ours sell for £4998.00
Kawasaki, Yamaha Ktm and many others have some of their lower capacity bikes put together by Bajaj Auto to save on labour costs. I emphasise put together.
As you all no Bajaj Auto is a huge distributor of motorcycles and scooters so any one would of assumed their shipping costs are insignificant.
I get the impression and please correct me if I am wrong but is Ktm looked at as a cheap Indian brand bike in the states? Here in the UK purchasing a Ktm is almost like purchasing a Ducati.
I personally get more of a kick riding my Rc390 through our country lanes than I do riding my Z1000

Just a quick note I should mention although you probably no this already.
Kmt and many other manufacturers use a lower quality oil of a semi synthetic type to aid in the running in off the engine.
So if you change your oil before the run in period is over "600 miles" and fill it with fully synthetic oil it will affect the running in process and your engine components for eg piston bedding into the bore, rings etc will not bed in properly and can glaze the bore affecting piston to bore sealing and could affect performance. When the bores are honed it leaves a cross hatched finish which aids in run in of the piston if you glaze the bore the rings no longer bed in and you can get oil consumption and power loss. So change the oil if you want to but don't go fully synthetic until after your run in period is over.

im sure some one will argue this but it's true ask any engine builder, tuner.

Last edited:

fs1ephil

You know, my dealer said something along those lines, but I hadn't read it anywhere in any of the press, so I thought it was dealer hype. I find that interesting, along with all the other "OK for USA" markings and stickers. Different QC, different regs, both?

Isn't the ok for USA markings to do with the side reflectors being fitted from the factory etc and nothing to do with quality control?
were lucky here, we don't have to have side reflectors in the UK. We don't even have emissions checks on bikes yet, although we do have catalytic converters fitted we can remove them and the bikes will pass an Mot as long as the exhaust isn't to loud.

s30series

Oh ok I had no idea that the bikes you get are directly from India, you say that's a fact but from what sources? I'm not saying your wrong just find it interesting especially as I no how strict Ktm are. What are you paying for the Rc390's in the states UK Sterling? Ours sell for £4998.00
Kawasaki, Yamaha Ktm and many others have some of their lower capacity bikes put together by Bajaj Auto to save on labour costs. I emphasise put together.
As you all no Bajaj Auto is a huge distributor of motorcycles and scooters so any one would of assumed their shipping costs are insignificant.
I get the impression and please correct me if I am wrong but is Ktm looked at as a cheap Indian brand bike in the states? Here in the UK purchasing a Ktm is almost like purchasing a Ducati.
I personally get more of a kick riding my Rc390 through our country lanes than I do riding my Z1000

Just a quick note I should mention although you probably no this already.
Kmt and many other manufacturers use a lower quality oil of a semi synthetic type to aid in the running in off the engine.
So if you change your oil before the run in period is over "600 miles" and fill it with fully synthetic oil it will affect the running in process and your engine components for eg piston bedding into the bore, rings etc will not bed in properly and can glaze the bore affecting piston to bore sealing and could affect performance. When the bores are honed it leaves a cross hatched finish which aids in run in of the piston if you glaze the bore the rings no longer bed in and you can get oil consumption and power loss. So change the oil if you want to but don't go fully synthetic until after your run in period is over.

im sure some one will argue this but it's true ask any engine builder, tuner.

The best thing you can do once the bike warms up completely is run it hard. Change the oil to full synthetic after 200 miles and you will be fine. I've got over 5k miles on my bike and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. 7k on my yamaha bolt-same run in procedure.

The crucial thing is to make sure the bike is warmed up before reving.

It's not a "lower quality" oil, its a detergent free pure dyno juice oil. Use that for break in 100-200 miles, change oil to Rotella-T for another 200miles to flush the system, then use Motul 300v

Ryanthegreat1

MSRP here in the US is $5499 that works out to £3597.41 but that is before tax and registration and dealer fees. Most are taking them home for $6500 out the door or £4252.26

We certainly view KTM as an exotic bike much like a Ducati. Just the RC390 being made in India has left many of us disappointed. Not the same quality as the rest of the KTM models.

Isn't the ok for USA markings to do with the side reflectors being fitted from the factory etc and nothing to do with quality control?

The stickers are found one the engine, the frame, the body work, the wheels, the brakes. I think every component has an "OK for USA" sticker on it or a "For USA ONLY".

fs1ephil

Thanks for answering my questions :)
I wish I could put a USA spec RC next to one of ours in the UK because I've owned the Ktm 640lc4 super mortard and the RC is every bit as good in build quality. Is this why we pay £800 more for the RC over here? Because ours get inspected in Austria? What a weird way to run a business. When I read members saying the RC is expensive I thought I was going to be told they are like £6k in the states. Trust me, we get our pants pulled down over here by our government. I dare not tell you how much our fuel is, it's embarrassing lol

Last edited:

fs1ephil

S30SERIES

You have to be a little bit careful with that advice there's more to it than just running it hard if you want to run in the way you do. However I understand where your coming from.
To bed in the Pistons rings properly requires pressure from running the engine in the upper rpm band
which forces the rings onto the bore bedding them in. The bedding in of the rings must be done before the honing
groves are worn smooth in the bore which is when the rings stop bedding in approx 200miles would do it.
The important thing to remember if doing it this way is heat, don't run hard to long and don't get the engine too hot. Also when you accelerate up to high rpm shut off the throttle and allow the engine to slow you down. This drags oil up into the cylinder cooling it and washes particles from the bore. Other than that it is a good way to run in an engine but can be easily messed up which is why that run in procedure is never in a manufacturers manual.

s30series

S30SERIES

You have to be a little bit careful with that advice there's more to it than just running it hard if you want to run in the way you do. However I understand where your coming from.
To bed in the Pistons rings properly requires pressure from running the engine in the upper rpm band
which forces the rings onto the bore bedding them in. The bedding in of the rings must be done before the honing
groves are worn smooth in the bore which is when the rings stop bedding in approx 200miles would do it.
The important thing to remember if doing it this way is heat, don't run hard to long and don't get the engine too hot. Also when you accelerate up to high rpm shut off the throttle and allow the engine to slow you down. This drags oil up into the cylinder cooling it and washes particles from the bore. Other than that it is a good way to run in an engine but can be easily messed up which is why that run in procedure is never in a manufacturers manual.

Thats the full way I do it...just didn't want to type it out ;-)