PCV installed, now stalls :-(

CDN Duke

Country flag
FIXED: PCV installed, now stalls :-(

Installed a new PCV on my Duke today - everything went fine except I neglected to zip tie the O2 optimizer out of the way and the back cover on the black box melted a bit on the header pipe before I realized. I quickly moved it off, cleaned the header, and continued to let the bike run. I had started it up to do a 15 min idle and then I shut off the bike and went in for dinner.

After dinner, I finished reassembling the bike, bolting on the tank, tank cover and the side fairings etc. Buttoned everything up and got ready to go test it out and it wouldn't start! Engine cranked over but it wouldn't start. :mad:

It had started and idled fine after I finished hooking everything up and now it wouldn't start. I looked over everything in the assembled state, checking all the connectors and trying to ensure they were pushed together properly etc.

I tried starting it again, and it started. Not sure what changed as none of the connectors clicked or had seemed loose etc. Anyhow, it was running so I let it warm up while putting on my jacket, helmet, rolled the bike outside and started off down the block - got a few meters, went to shift and it died and wouldn't start again. :mad: Went back to the house and took a closer look, this time disconnecting/bypassing the O2 optimizer, checking the connectors, fuel tank connections from underneath etc. Got it started again, went to go down the street, and it died again after a few meters.

Very frustrated of course, not sure the cause. Something is causing it to cut out and then preventing it from firing again. Any ideas?

Last edited:

chrisdigital21

Installed a new PCV on my Duke today - everything went fine except I neglected to zip tie the O2 optimizer out of the way and the back cover on the black box melted a bit on the header pipe before I realized. I quickly moved it off, cleaned the header, and continued to let the bike run. I had started it up to do a 15 min idle and then I shut off the bike and went in for dinner.

After dinner, I finished reassembling the bike, bolting on the tank, tank cover and the side fairings etc. Buttoned everything up and got ready to go test it out and it wouldn't start! Engine cranked over but it wouldn't start. :mad:

It had started and idled fine after I finished hooking everything up and now it wouldn't start. I looked over everything in the assembled state, checking all the connectors and trying to ensure they were pushed together properly etc.

I tried starting it again, and it started. Not sure what changed as none of the connectors clicked or had seemed loose etc. Anyhow, it was running so I let it warm up while putting on my jacket, helmet, rolled the bike outside and started off down the block - got a few meters, went to shift and it died and wouldn't start again. :mad: Went back to the house and took a closer look, this time disconnecting/bypassing the O2 optimizer, checking the connectors, fuel tank connections from underneath etc. Got it started again, went to go down the street, and it died again after a few meters.

Very frustrated of course, not sure the cause. Something is causing it to cut out and then preventing it from firing again. Any ideas?
You need to calibrate the TPS to the power commander.

chrisdigital21

It is important that the PCV software TPS read 0% when the bike is fully warmed up and at idle. If it needs to be reset make sure the bike is fully warmed up before resetting. With the engine running, click on Reset, quickly open throttle to the wide-open throttle stop and quickly close, then click OK. If your bike has fly-by-wire throttle only reset the throttle position on a dynamometer while in gear and under load.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Ok, I'll do that in the AM. Found the above instructions in the software instructions sheets.

Makes sense based on what's occurring.

Did you have the same issue on install?

Last edited:

robenever

It is important that the PCV software TPS read 0% when the bike is fully warmed up and at idle. If it needs to be reset make sure the bike is fully warmed up before resetting. With the engine running, click on Reset, quickly open throttle to the wide-open throttle stop and quickly close, then click OK. If your bike has fly-by-wire throttle only reset the throttle position on a dynamometer while in gear and under load.

Will resetting the pcv delete the map on it? Is it necessary to do when after installing one?
I just got one for my bike and everything seems fine. But I was wondering if there was something else I was suppose to do besides installing and letting it idle for 20 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk