Picked up my RC390 last night in Georgia...

s30series

Picked up my RC390 last night in Atlanta, Georgia...

Picked it up last night. $6700 OTD in Georgia. There are a few things I'm mad about.

1. front turn signals are not integrated into the mirrors. Stupid US DOT thing.
2. You cannon't change the guage to show MPG, Gallons/Hour, etc...it's on in liters
3. Exhaust sounds like crap :-(
4. Bike runs "hot" and the radiator fan is loud as crap

Other than that it's an amazing bike. Had a 2006 ninja as my first, 1995 FZR600 as my second, and I currently own a 2014 Bolt R-spec. Between the Bolt and the RC, they are a perfect pair for someone who wants to cruise around on some days, and have a fun spirited ride the next.

I'll try to answer any questions....but I am curious. What the heck is a slipper clutch? From what I have read, if it does NOT have one, if I downshift to slow down/come to a stop at high RPMs, the rear wheel should hop? If so, that does not happen. I can go from 6,5,4,3,2,1 to come to a stop with high revs and it feels like my Bolt

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Is your speedo in MPH, or KPH?

That would be a deal-breaker for me. I'm also disappointed/pissed about the indicators. If Suzuki can do it on the GSX-Rs, as well as Ducati, BMW... Why the F couldn't KTM, and why was't that something that they let dealers know about?

s30series

Speedo is in MPH, as well as tach, odometer, and all the L/Mile, Miles/L, etc.

I just wish instead of Liters, it said Gallons. Nobody uses liters here!!!

Any yes, the turn signals blow. If you look closely on all the pics of the bikes (not US) you will see a circular plug in the black upper fairing. That is the plug for the US turn signal indicators. I'm hoping you might be able to buy them somewhere...maybe a forum from India/Europe where people race the bike and delete the mirrors?

DCMoney

Country flag
In 3rd gear at high RPM clutch in down shift to second, drop the clutch tell us what happens.

Congrats on picking it up, I'm still waiting for that call from my dealer with the good news!

s30series

In 3rd gear at high RPM clutch in down shift to second, drop the clutch tell us what happens.

Congrats on picking it up, I'm still waiting for that call from my dealer with the good news!

Won't that over-rev the bike?

I also forgot to mention that the bike runs hot. Very hot. There is a main temp guage, and a "high" temp gauge with two bars. Normal riding in Georgia right now, my main temp guage only has two bars left...and the fan comes on quite often. The fan is also very loud too...probbaly very high CFMs

ETA: I guess I would never know what a slipper clutch is because I am used to "bliping" the throttle to downshift. I race cars (HPDE stuff) so rev matching comes naturally to me.

Last edited:

s30series

Did your OTD include tax, doc, and licensing?

Yes it did.

ETA: I didn't pre order it. I didn't even know what an RC 390 was until last Friday. I found a dealer in atlanta (one of like 4) that had it in stock. Went down there, sat on it, walked out 30 minutes later.

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Your description of downshifts sounds a little like a slipper clutch. Hot running is a new report. It'll be interesting to hear others' experience. Thx!

s30series

Your description of downshifts sounds a little like a slipper clutch. Hot running is a new report. It'll be interesting to hear others' experience. Thx!

So if you check out the manual there are two "areas" that bars can populate to show you tempatures. Two of those bars are in a little section by themselves. Once they are lit up, a warning light comes on and the dash reads coolant temp or something like that. Normal riding in the past, it is 4 bars away from being totally lit up. The fan even comes on while moving. Odd. If not listening to music, you can def. hear it trough your helmet (I wear a Shoei Qwest).

Maybe if there's someone local to Atlanta they can ride it and tell me if they have slipper clutches? I'll try downshifting today on my way home without blipping the throttle and report back!

guzz46

That's normal, on mine it always sits at 4 bars from max, and sometimes the fan comes on while moving at a slow speed, around 30kmh, but the temp gauge has never gone any higher, it doesn't bother me at all.

Texas250

Actually not. I have been haunting the Duke390 forum and they have lots of reports of running hot. I am so disappointed by the turn signals not being where the IMS bikes were, that was one cool feature.

Treachery

Country flag
Huh. Didn't know that. Is it that they run at the high end of the scale, high temp numbers, dump heat on the rider, or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s30series

All of the above plus failed radiator fans.

I could see how the radiator fan fails, it comes on all the time!

Also!

The 2015 US model does NOT come with a slipper clutch (at least my 2015 model does not). I get lots of wheel hop when downshifting at high RPMs and not bliping the throttle.