Power troubleshooting / Powertronic

RC390Brizzi

Hey guys,

First topic:
i have a 2016 RC390 and a 2017 Duke 390. The Duke feels a lot torquier in the midrange and more powerful in general. I'm not sure if that is actually true, maybe is the different riding position etc.

What can i do to check the engine health on the RC?
I adjusted the valve clearance which was on the lower limit for the intake and slightly below the lower limit for the exhaust, now exhaust is on the wide side and intake on the tight.
What's the easiest way to look at the exhaust valves? Taking the top end off or taking the pipe of and peeking in from there?
The bike has 12k km on the odometer, maybe the rings are worn?
I own a diesel compression tester but it has no 10mm thread adapter, do you think buying a cheap compression tester is worth it?

And second:
I also have a powertronic which makes the bike feel a lot smoother but not really more powerful, which is ok because its a lot more friendly to ride.
I just don't understand how to put two maps on it, maybe somebody could tell me. I have the map switch thingy and i thought if its on map1 and i burn a map it'll go to map1, then i switch to map2 and do the same for map2. Instead the map i burn is always the same in both map switch positions although the unit says map1 or map2.
I wanted to flash the factory map because the unit came with an optimized map for the previous owners race bike which will most likely not be ideal for my stock bike.

Thanks everyone!

John390

I don't know about Powertronic. maybe someone else willl chime in?

as for compression testing, yes just buy one. you don't need a Mac or Snapon one, but if your RC has low compression, you will notice that.

Now, that said, our bikes have a decompression valve and I think you may need a special technique or special tools to get the correct results?