RC 390 fuel tank leak @1200 miles

chx$trips

Country flag
Hey all, I've had my RC for just under a month now, it's a '17, and today I noticed it was leaking fuel. I started to tear it apart and found it leaking right under the ECU plate. If I lift it a little it comes out more. My dealer is telling me I can void my warranty by doing this myself but if I can fix it myself that would be great.

Had anybody ever had this issue? Any solutions that can be DIY'd?

I have pics on my phone but not sure if I can just directly load them here.

chx$trips

Country flag
Found the forum on tapatalk. Here are a couple pics.
549f5828ea05e2d6768f1b3574d0269b.jpg
eeb930babdd56281a7f68d638d95d538.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

green_bread

Country flag
If the bike is still under warranty, I would definitely have the dealership fix it. This is most likely going to require a new tank to be fixed properly.

chx$trips

Country flag
She's only a few weeks old but it makes more sense to do it myself to minimize downtime. It's only a little over $100 for a new one and the dealer close to me can't touch it for at least 2 weeks and then they'll have to order the part etc etc. I did a temporary fix so gas vapors don't seep out and I can't ride with a full tank which kind of blows but at least I can ride it until my new tank comes. Thanks for the input though [emoji106]

She's my first bike so I can't get enough riding [emoji16]

mattv

Country flag
Just wanted to mention that this happened to me as well. My garage was smelling of gas the last few days, removed the bodywork and found the same issue; leaking from the ecu mount plate. 2017 with around 4k miles. Yay.

simpletty

Country flag
Just wanted to mention that this happened to me as well. My garage was smelling of gas the last few days, removed the bodywork and found the same issue; leaking from the ecu mount plate. 2017 with around 4k miles. Yay.

I would certainly think that if there are two with this issue, there are plenty more. Fuel leakage is a serious issue, KTM had better figure it out before someone lights on fire and sues them. This should be recalled for proper repair, not have the customer responsible for buying a new part and installing it. I do realize that turnaround time for repairs at the dealer is sometimes atrocious and you want to be back up and running asap. If this happened in the automotive industry several things would happen and happen fast. If parts are not available and the vehicle is deemed unsafe to drive, you get put in a rental car, paid for by the manufacturer and stay there until the work is performed.

John390

well, damn! I hope they updated the 2018 tanks!

when I had mine out for my Rapidbike install, no problems like that.

mattv

Country flag
I would certainly think that if there are two with this issue, there are plenty more. Fuel leakage is a serious issue, KTM had better figure it out before someone lights on fire and sues them. This should be recalled for proper repair, not have the customer responsible for buying a new part and installing it. I do realize that turnaround time for repairs at the dealer is sometimes atrocious and you want to be back up and running asap. If this happened in the automotive industry several things would happen and happen fast. If parts are not available and the vehicle is deemed unsafe to drive, you get put in a rental car, paid for by the manufacturer and stay there until the work is performed.

Ideally I would take it to the dealer to ensure KTM is made of aware of the issue, but I just don't have the time and patience. If somebody has a contact at KTM I could email this thread to, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just find whatever KTM support email I can find and let them know.

=maz=

Country flag

Or, more likely to be the case from what we all witnessed with the head gasket issue., they'll just try to fix the issue as quietly as possible (which means the pain is experienced more by the owner of the bike than the builder) and then change something at the factory and do it as quietly as possible.
As you can probably tell, my faith in KTM doing the right thing has been severely tested.

simpletty

Country flag
Problem is fuel leaking on top of a hot engine/exhaust = fire. Feel like jumping off a flaming motorcycle at 65mph on a busy freeway? I’m having my doubts you or anyone will. Best plan of action - contact the media. They would light that sort of story up real fast, KTM would get embarrassed rather quickly and they would have to get it handled as quick as possible. Where there are two bikes leaking fuel there will be more.

mattv

Country flag
Ordered a new tank from ktm-parts.com. Got an email today stating that it's back ordered until march 2019. I'm hoping that's not really the case.

Anybody have suggestions as to where to get a tank? Will a 2015 or 2016 tank fit my 2017? If so, maybe I can just ebay one for now.

This is the part number I ordered: 9350701300030

Using this fiche: https://sparepartsfinder.ktm.com/Co...788?modelidentifier=1000766631&isEngine=False

There doesn't seem to be an abundance of options for buying the part when I google the number. I wonder if it's maybe an updated tank?

Last edited:

chx$trips

Country flag
I got mine from a local dealer for I think $125 or so, and I only had to wait about a week. If they're backordered until March 2019 you can just use some tank repair stuff.

I repaired mine the same day I found the leak and had zero isssues for another 3400 miles. I think it would have lasted forever honestly, but I had to remove the tank to do my valves adjustment anyway. You just have to be super thorough with the stuff and push it deep and around the ECU brackets so that there's no chance fuel will escape.

As far as trying to find a tank online it's going to be hard because a lot of the online vendors aren't the most up to date or the '17 stuff just isn't as widely available. I always have trouble trying to find parts online, glad my dealer gives me sweet prices.

Here's my tank at 4600 miles (3400 with the repair)

847e47e73b5c664901e353136177fcda.jpg
9cd87b2eda9b759122c210af0f297cd9.jpg
ecc818c41aabb40e0b8ab2ac0efff8e6.jpg