Rear Axle Nut Issue

Sloppy McFloppy

Country flag
Hello!

I recently replaced front and rear sprocket along with the chain. Afterwards, I took it immediately to my local mechanic to have it double checked. Everything was okayed and on my way home the rear axle nut came off! My bike and I made it home safely after my roommate lent me his rc390's rear axle nut. I made sure to do everything correctly and torqued to spec. The very next day, halfway through a group ride the same issue happened. The great people I was riding with helped me get a temporary fix to arrive home.

My question is did anyone else experience this? Any suggestions? Did I mess up?

I'm currently replacing the entire rear axle because I don't trust it anymore.

Sloppy McFloppy

Country flag
The spacer between the chain adjuster block and the rear axle nut? It was there for both rides. Appreciate the input as this has made me doubt riding anytime soon.

I also had a follow up question for anyone reading this. Due to my paranoia, I am considering drilling a hole into the rear axle, near the nut to secure a safety wire to it. Will this compromise any individual part?

KTMLaos

Country flag
This never happens that I know, or have read about.
You'll better off finding the cause rather than preventing the nut from coming off the axle.
There are several spacers for the wheel plus a spacer at the sprocket carrier.
Have a look at ktmsparepartsfinder.com to get an understanding of what needs to be where.

Sloppy McFloppy

Country flag
That was just to get home. I ended up ordering a rear axle and everything that comes with it and replaced mine. I stopped by my ktm dealership to get their opinion on it. They said since I replaced it I should be fine. They gave me some blue loctite and said they've never heard of this before. I don't know anymore lol. I've slowly got back into riding and building my confidence. So far so good, hopefully, I can put this worry behind me.

KTMLaos

Country flag
So nothing was missing or out of place? o_O Weird.

That was just to get home. I ended up ordering a rear axle and everything that comes with it and replaced mine. I stopped by my ktm dealership to get their opinion on it. They said since I replaced it I should be fine. They gave me some blue loctite and said they've never heard of this before. I don't know anymore lol. I've slowly got back into riding and building my confidence. So far so good, hopefully, I can put this worry behind me.