Safety wiring oil drain plug

ArkansasDave

Went to drill a hole in my oil drain plug and turns out it's hollow, now it's leaking oil. Obviously I need a new drain plug but how did you guys safety wire it? This is the one on the side by the kick stand.

ArkansasDave

My google search found an archived post that said that. I got a diagonal hole drilled. Jb weld time, I'm more upset about the brand new oil that just drained out on my living room floor.

Treachery

Country flag
What about one of the turned-up safety wire washers instead of drilling? I'm looking at a school/trackday in a couple weeks; fortunately all they require is RTV silicone on the drain plugs and fill plug.

Treachery

Country flag
I don't have web access right now except via phone, but there are washers with a turned-up tab (with a hole in it) that you put under a bolt with the tab next to a flat on the bolt. You run the safety wire from that hole to your anchor point. I'll find a picture tomorrow.

Treachery

Country flag
It does both. The flat in the washer has a hole in it that functions as the drilled hole in the bolt/drain plug. You secure that to the stationary point with the safety wire, and it won't allow the bolt/plug to turn.

Treachery

Country flag
I'm still on my phone but Google "safety lock wire washers" and a pantload of pics come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UMZenki

does anyone know offhand if both oil drain bolts (the main and the one housing the small filter) are the same? Are they both hollow and require special/careful drilling?

ArkansasDave

I'm still on my phone but Google "safety lock wire washers" and a pantload of pics come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well if it works for you and it passes tech then go for it.

Yea both oil drains are hollow, drilling at angle is easy enough and a simple way to get her done.

Treachery

Country flag
You mean these things? Yeah they would probably work if we did not have an o-ring and flange head bolt to deal with.

Yeah, I thought about the flange on the way home. Didn't think of the o-ring. Never mind.

But yeah, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of.