Need Help Shift shaft removal

Broncobobby

Country flag
Hi guys, I bent my shift shaft and it won't downshift, so it needs a new one. It looks like I'll need to open up the engine, will I need to remove the clutch to be able to reach it? I'm not that experienced but I see this as a good opportunity to learn provided it isn't too extreme. I also messed up the threads for my right side rear spool, are there alternate spots for mounting or a work around?

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
With the Duke 390, first off you need to drain the oil, though you need not remove the clutch assembly in its entirety, you are required to remove the clutch cover, undo the gear linkages on the left side and then remove the springs attached on the right side shift shaft. If you're not sure what you're doing, then it's better left to professionals. This work definitely requires some level of skills. With respect to your bust rear spool threads. Nope, there aren't any alternate mounting points. Try helicoil inserts if it can help or tapping it to bigger thread is your best bet. Good luck.

Cheers!

1JZSupra

Country flag
I would also consider changing out the seal on the shifter side. it might get banged up when you remove the shift shaft.