Slipper clutch?

onethump

So I pick up my RC tomorrow and now I'm reading that there is a new version with a slipper clutch? Is this the version we are getting at the moment?

mr-fabricator

Nope , due on 2016 models and i doubt they will release the slipper version untill standard stock is cleared , they wont want to de value their own bikes .

If the slipper works ill buy and retro fit to my bike .

onethump

wow, shouldnt have been a early adopter i guess. sucks, although when demo'ing it, rev matching the downshifts didnt seem all that difficult.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
concern about the slipper is really over blown. $0.02. I've not experienced any point where I felt it would have been with having. It's only being added to have parity with the Kawasaki... The engine braking is minimal, and you can clutchless shift VERY easily, up or down. Hell even shifting clutchless across neutral has been flawless. The slipper is just a marketing feature, and shouldn't impact a decision on when or if to buy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

micahpearlman

concern about the slipper is really over blown. $0.02. I've not experienced any point where I felt it would have been with having. It's only being added to have parity with the Kawasaki... The engine braking is minimal, and you can clutchless shift VERY easily, up or down. Hell even shifting clutchless across neutral has been flawless. The slipper is just a marketing feature, and shouldn't impact a decision on when or if to buy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I raced Supermoto for a number of years and couldn't imagine racing a single on pavement without a slipper. I was really surprised road racing the RC a couple of weeks ago and finding I didn't really require it. I could bang down 2 gears pretty rapidly and even with stock suspension everything was well behaved.

My Retro Career

Good to hear that, from a racer's/tracking perspective.

I've always matched-rev when downshifting anyway, be it four or two wheels I'm driving.

That being said, during upshifts from first to second, my bike sometimes misses 2nd gear. It's the only real annoyance I've encountered thus far on this bike

JKBC

All RC 390's in Canada and the USA should have a slipper clutch. This was a change to them slightly before any were sold here.
KTM adds slipper clutch for learners - Motorbike Writer
KTM silently upgrades Duke 390 and RC 390 with slipper clutch • BurnYourFuel
You should have noticed that you have significant engine braking on the road as you would expect of a 4-stroke single. And abrupt down-shifts don't produce a chirp from the rear tire which a 4-stroke single would be prone to do...well that's a slipper clutch in action.

ryandalling

Okay... I've had my rear chirp and skip with hard down shifts. How do we know for sure if it has one or not??

I assure you my 2015 USA spec RC390 does not have a slipper clutch... I have opened the clutch side up to install Chad's Factory Pro shift detent. Conventional clutch found inside.

Ryanthegreat1

I concur, no slippers in the 2015 USA RC390.

Got the rear to chatter being ham fisted on the track when hard on the brakes.

Then confirmed that the clutch is a normal clutch when I took the clutch cover off to inspect the crank drive gear nut.

I even took a picture.
IMG_20150701_143514.jpg

JKBC

Well I emailed this question to them and hopefully will get an answer. You can't tell if you have a slipper clutch by looking at the clutch with a side cover removed and the clutch un-assembled.

slipper clutch.JPGslipper clutch-2.JPG

psych0hans

Country flag
I believe KTM has implemented the slipper clutch on the sly, if what the Indian moto magazines are to be believed. It's supposedly not an upgrade for existing bikes.

These articles from India are from 6-12 months ago when the rumors started that the 2015 bikes would arrive to the US with a slipper. It never happened. No new information since then even from the indian press. No slipper on the 2015. The internet speculators now say 2016. You should probably wait till next year...