So my airbox is cracked.......

s30series

Interesting. I'll try to post some pictures later today. It is cracked right where the "tube" coming from the throttle body meets the main part of the airbox. Theres a huge ugly plastic "weld" going around the box which I guess is part of the molding process. That sucker is cracked all the way through. Very tiny gap, but cracked none-the-less.

That, plus the nipple on my expansion tank broke off so now there is nowhere for the coolant to go if it overflows (except for spewing out all over everywhere).

This is kinda annoying for a new motorcycle :-(

s30series

My expansion tank nipple broke off too, was replaced under warranty at first service.

Dropped the bike off at the dealer.........

They are refusing to even submit the paperwork to KTM to get the warranty work done. Because the battery is not stock, MNNTHBX airbox lid, FUEL exhaust, and removed the evap cannister they said that:

A. The airbox could have been cracked by me when I modified the intake (i simply removed the top to change the filter and put the MNNTHBX lid on)
B. The nipple could have broken off when I changed the battery.

Planning on calling and bitching to the service manager tomorrow.

Kicker is they won't put the bike back together without me agreeing to pay them $140. So if I want to come pick it up I've got to find a trailer.

Does magnoson-moss apply to motorcycles?

aj@x

Probably should have taken the mods off before dropping the bike in for warranty, it gives them too much to play with to get out of warranty when you present a bike with mods done to the part your asking warranty for. In saying that if they are any sort of decent mechanic then they should know by inspection if it's been caused by improper mod installation or not. If they still refuse to fix the airbox use some black sikaflex to repair it, it's never come apart again and probably be strong than a new since yours is the third one i've heard of splitting.

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Dropped the bike off at the dealer.........

They are refusing to even submit the paperwork to KTM to get the warranty work done. Because the battery is not stock, MNNTHBX airbox lid, FUEL exhaust, and removed the evap cannister they said that:

A. The airbox could have been cracked by me when I modified the intake (i simply removed the top to change the filter and put the MNNTHBX lid on)
B. The nipple could have broken off when I changed the battery.

Planning on calling and bitching to the service manager tomorrow.

Kicker is they won't put the bike back together without me agreeing to pay them $140. So if I want to come pick it up I've got to find a trailer.

Does magnoson-moss apply to motorcycles?

Yes. I'm not sure this situation is M-M material though.

Probably should have taken the mods off before dropping the bike in for warranty, it gives them too much to play with to get out of warranty when you present a bike with mods done to the part your asking warranty for. In saying that if they are any sort of decent mechanic then they should know by inspection if it's been caused by improper mod installation or not. If they still refuse to fix the airbox use some black sikaflex to repair it, it's never come apart again and probably be strong than a new since yours is the third one i've heard of splitting.

The airbox mod is probably going to be the end of your shot at warranty-ing the cracked box. They're probably wrong, but it's a pretty good opening to denying the claim. The connection of the battery exchange and the reservoir nipple is sketchy at best.

That sounds like a terrible service department to work with.

No F'n kidding. I think that's a bigger issue in the long term than the two parts. The dealer should be on YOUR side. I'd try to reason with the SM and see if he can't see the value in maintaining your relationship with them. If he isn't, as I mentioned in the thread where the gent has the bike that won't run, the next step might be with your state Attorney General's Consumer Affairs office. They do generally take the consumer's side on these matters, and can separate unrelated parts of warranty claims.

s30series

Dealer just called and left a voicemail. They service guy talked to his service manager and they are going to put the bike back together so I can come pick it up.....still not performing any of the warranty work though.

green_bread

Country flag
Just to add to this thread, I also have a cracked air box. It is cracked where the breather hoses attach. I bought a replacement on eBay that was "guaranteed" to be good. Guess what? Cracked in the same fucking spot. I'm really starting to loath this bike and all of the problems.

Muckabucka

Country flag
Get used to it~!! Until you rebuild EVERYTHING, and I do mean everything Adam, you won't be happy...
Too bad it's such a cheap assed bike.

Just to add to this thread, I also have a cracked air box. It is cracked where the breather hoses attach. I bought a replacement on eBay that was "guaranteed" to be good. Guess what? Cracked in the same fucking spot. I'm really starting to loath this bike and all of the problems.

ShinySideUp

I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels this way about the bike. I'm starting to hate the thing but whatever. I bought it now i gotta deal with it. I just wish i could ride it for more than a month without something braking and keeping it off the road

CAZHEREDIA

s30series, GET USED TO TAKING THE BIKE TO THE DEALER! Also, get used to having warranty coverage delayed for at least 3-4 weeks.

nice looking bike, and that's about it.