Stalling problem in a brand new bike.

kayabusa

Country flag
Hey guys, my happiness and joy of the new bike turns out quickly to worries...

I got my brand new 2015 Cup Bike, 3 days ago.... I put the battery on charge the whole night, check the engine oil, the coolant and in the following morning I put gas on the bike and I started.

I Left the bike idle in the rear stand for about 10 minutes, no issues with the temp, all good , but I do notice that the engine wasn't idle perfectly. So I decided to take it for a spin.

The first 300 feet was ok but as soon as I hit the corner when I was downshifting the bike stall..... I'm 44 years old and I ride bikes for the last 38 years.... said enough... Anyway, ok I dont know the bike, my mistake, lets try it again.

Next corner when I was downshifting and I rev it a little bit and we are good for the next one.... but in the next corner the bike stalls again..... and again... and again.

I left the bike alone and came back today to check it and it was way worse.... here are a couple of the videos that shows exactly the problem.

Second Run: https://youtu.be/Y_F5FBIlwVY

Third Run: https://youtu.be/XcVXRC0pVnA

Pretty bad !! I don't want to go to the dealer yet, maybe is something I can fix with the help of you guys.

If someone has any ideas please share them with me.

Thank you.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Did you have the tank off at all by chance? It's very similar to when I had tank off and I pinched the line(s) when putting it back on. Basically runs out of gas (in the line).

kayabusa

Country flag
Did you have the tank off at all by chance? It's very similar to when I had tank off and I pinched the line(s) when putting it back on. Basically runs out of gas (in the line).

I didn't remove a single bolt yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Is it slowly dying, or like a switch on/off? Could be the kickstand switch, start stop button, plugged tank vent, we need more details to how it dies.

kayabusa

Country flag
I put VP T4 fresh from a sealed can.

I drained the gas VP T4 from the tank until the last drop, replaced for 93 pump fuel and now is running fine, no stalling, but the idle isn't consistent ..... totally unusual situation.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Pull and check your plug. That race fuel may have been bad for a stock plug! I know with Chads engine kit mods an updated plug needs to be used.

kayabusa

Country flag
Pull and check your plug. That race fuel may have been bad for a stock plug! I know with Chads engine kit mods an updated plug needs to be used.

T4 is not race fuel, I checked the specs on the VP page. But anyway I will check the plug just in case.

I'm ready for tomorrow track day !!! wraaap

Sweyn Forkbeard

I had some problems with the bike stalling when i first got it and had to really rev it up at stop lights to not stall at launch. after i did the first oil change I stopped happening

cornerslider

I would tend to agree with Matt on the plug..... I've found this bike to be pretty "finicky" when it comes to fuel. I once put 87 octane in my bike (I was running out of fuel, and options). My bike behaved about like yours did in the videos. After that tank, I put 93 octane/non-oxygenated fuel in, and haven't had a problem since. A part of the "inconsistent" idle MAY be that the motor just isn't broke in yet? You will see when you drop the break-in oil, that there will be a lot of debris in the oil. The motors seem to be pretty "tight" from the factory, and get smoother with time (at least mine did?) Add that it's a pretty high-stung, single cylinder, the idle may not be that consistent for a while. I bought a 2010 Husqvarna SMR450 (brand new) once. The bike barely ran for the first 500 miles, and died all the time.... I thought I had made a HUGE mistake! People told me "give it some time", and I did... After I got to about 700 miles, it quit dying, and the idle smoothed out. I would check the plug as Matt suggested, if that looks normal, I'd ride it for a while. If things don't improve after after the first oil change, I'd call the dealer- Keep us posted :cool:

kayabusa

Country flag
I would tend to agree with Matt on the plug..... I've found this bike to be pretty "finicky" when it comes to fuel. I once put 87 octane in my bike (I was running out of fuel, and options). My bike behaved about like yours did in the videos. After that tank, I put 93 octane/non-oxygenated fuel in, and haven't had a problem since. A part of the "inconsistent" idle MAY be that the motor just isn't broke in yet? You will see when you drop the break-in oil, that there will be a lot of debris in the oil. The motors seem to be pretty "tight" from the factory, and get smoother with time (at least mine did?) Add that it's a pretty high-stung, single cylinder, the idle may not be that consistent for a while. I bought a 2010 Husqvarna SMR450 (brand new) once. The bike barely ran for the first 500 miles, and died all the time.... I thought I had made a HUGE mistake! People told me "give it some time", and I did... After I got to about 700 miles, it quit dying, and the idle smoothed out. I would check the plug as Matt suggested, if that looks normal, I'd ride it for a while. If things don't improve after after the first oil change, I'd call the dealer- Keep us posted :cool:

The whole track day went smooth, the only stall twice in the pits waiting in line to enter the track. I rode it 7 times , 20-25 min each sesión and never exed the 8000 rpm mark.

I kept the power limiter on the throttle body just to limit myself to no push hard this first time. I will take it out for the next track day, and a will take out the db killer on the aka too.

The suspensions are soft, at least for my 200 lbs + gear weight. I will take it to WMR to adjust next week.

Do you guys know WMR down here in Florida ? any good feedback from them ?

Overall I love the bike and I loved low weight too, with this bike you can learn a lot, and also is less expensive to maintain, I will keep my mv f3 675 and my Aprilia Rs250 only for special occasions and use the ktm a loooot.

cornerslider

Great to hear!!! :cool:- Glad you gave the bike a chance to "settle in"... I have all the confidence in the world that you will learn to appreciate all this bike can do!!! I love mine just a little more EVERY time I take her to my local track. I don't really know what to say about the suspension? I bought the "non-cup" version, and removed the rear shock, and resprung the forks for my weight. The JUNK that comes with the non-cup version is pretty much a boat anchor (at best)....... I've heard that you can respring the WP forks for your specific weight. I would assume you could respring the WP rear for your weight on the cup version as well? Not REALLY sure on either of them though.......At any rate, welcome to the RC390 club!!!!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I kept the power limiter on the throttle body just to limit myself to no push hard this first time. I will take it out for the next track day, and a will take out the db killer on the aka too.
{snip}
The suspensions are soft, at least for my 200 lbs + gear weight. I will take it to WMR to adjust next week.

Don't pull the db killer on the aka, it'll cost you power. Really!

For the suspension, you are going to need new springs at a minimum. Front and rear. The cup WP suspension isn't the greatest in the world, but you do at least have the advantage that you aren't dealing with the street forks and shock. You can get the RaceTech springs from either myself or any other RaceTech Dealer. If you are already an established customer for that suspension shop I don't want to butt in and say "Buy from ME" just offering as I have what you need in stock and ready to go... For the front springs I'd recommend going with a set of 1.0 and for the rear, you are probably looking at something like a 11.6 spring. The adjustment on the rear shock is a bit of just shy of total and complete garbage, but again, light years better than the lump of dross they have on streets.

Adjustment alone won't do shit for you until you get the correct rate springs on the bike for your mass. You can do it yourself, it's not all that difficult, and once you've done it once, you will be able to dive into suspension down the road without feeling like you need to take it to someone else to do your suspension for you.

But really... you have GOT to get decent springs on that thing, front and rear.

You can PM me if you'd like help figuring out the exacts of what you need to get that suspension setup for you.

Last edited:

kayabusa

Country flag
Thank you ! I just sent you a PM.

Don't pull the db killer on the aka, it'll cost you power. Really!

For the suspension, you are going to need new springs at a minimum. Front and rear. The cup WP suspension isn't the greatest in the world, but you do at least have the advantage that you aren't dealing with the street forks and shock. You can get the RaceTech springs from either myself or any other RaceTech Dealer. If you are already an established customer for that suspension shop I don't want to butt in and say "Buy from ME" just offering as I have what you need in stock and ready to go... For the front springs I'd recommend going with a set of 1.0 and for the rear, you are probably looking at something like a 11.6 spring. The adjustment on the rear shock is a bit of just shy of total and complete garbage, but again, light years better than the lump of dross they have on streets.

Adjustment alone won't do shit for you until you get the correct rate springs on the bike for your mass. You can do it yourself, it's not all that difficult, and once you've done it once, you will be able to dive into suspension down the road without feeling like you need to take it to someone else to do your suspension for you.

But really... you have GOT to get decent springs on that thing, front and rear.

You can PM me if you'd like help figuring out the exacts of what you need to get that suspension setup for you.

kayabusa

Country flag
Finally I took the bike back to the dealer the following day of my first track day, that was 3 weeks ago. The dealer CAN'T find the stalling problem and KTM is not helping them to find it. Called them dozen of times they are very professional, but they cant fix the bike. Call KTM and they are very unprofessional, rude, and they give a shift of their bikes and warranty.

Guys If I know this before I would never got my hand on a KTM.... I'm very disappointed.

cornerslider

I've replied earlier to this same thread- PLEASE trust me when I say "give it some time to settle in"..... This is not a Ducati Pingallie- It's $5499 single cylinder sport bike, that is in dire need of some TLC for track use..... It will never be as "refined" as a $30,000 super sport bike will be from the Ducati factory. In your gut, you're probably thinking "I made a HUGE mistake buying this bike"? I honestly thought that once too..... Read the forums, tweak in a little bit at a time, and you won't be disappointed. My bike has almost 2,000 miles on it, and it runs better everyday I ride it. Just give it some time- :cool:

kayabusa

Country flag
Cornerslider, I know and I truly wish I can agree with you and left this problem in the past, but the bike is not running, stalls in every stop or corner and then takes a long time to restart. If I choose to use the bike lke this I will have an accident on the track for sure. and also damage the electric starter for over use. (after the stall takes almost a full 10 seconds of the electric starter to get the engine running)
For sure I can dissemble the whole bike, replace parts and fix the problem, but is a brand new bike, Cost me around $ 8,500 (cup version).... is not a $5k bike, it is almost a $10k bike. Same as a good Yamaha R6..... \

Something is not right about KTM, to much marketing money, ZERO customer service.

Let alone the dealer.... 3 weeks and still cant fix the problem ? we are heading the 4th week this Saturday...... Too bad Florida lemon law doesn't work on bikes.