Steering Head

aj@x

Not yet mate, but i know guys with the Dukes have. Apparently the bearings aren't the greatest of quality and it appears from the photos that some weren't even lubed during assembly. No surprises there really from what i'm seeing with these bajaj built bikes. The photo's show the bearings in their cages covered in surface rust all over for both top and bottom races.

Ryanthegreat1

Oh yay, another dry bearing on the little RC. Great!

Anyone know the race dimensions? Might as well upgrade to tapered bearings while I am in there.

Treachery

Country flag
Oh yay, another dry bearing on the little RC. Great!

Anyone know the race dimensions? Might as well upgrade to tapered bearings while I am in there.

Speaking for the collective, we appreciate you blazing this trail! Please be sure to post up pix.

No, seriously, DO post pics if you put in tapered bearings.

A couple of weeks back I noticed when riding a slight lack of precision while leaning into the turns and also under hard on the gas over bumpy surfaces the bike felt unusual -
Initially I thought it was maybe the front forks losing their spring tension or something.
The bike felt real cheap to ride .
Much to my horror the steering head ball races (large nut) had slightly come lose.

When stripping down it was a bit horrifying to see that all the bearings where brown with rust - Done a temporary clean & re-grease fix at this stage until I get some new bearings in - There are pictures of the same problem with the Duke 390 on their forums - not a pretty site .

I do admit that I do wash my bike often and are force to ride in the rain but never would have thought water would get in there to that extent .

I have never had a steering head come loose before so did not know what the symptoms where - So just a word of warning check your steering head bearings -

I like many other owners had the same problem with the dry swing arm bushes after seeing the post on this forum - So if you haven't checked those make the effort to do so - Cheers

Diploman

One of the Duke owners ordered a new set of steering head bearings from KTM. It was remarkably inexpensive - a trifle more than $30 US. The set includes upper and lower caged ball bearings, races, shims and seals. I don't wash my bike with water or ride in the rain, but this winter I plan to strip the headstock to check the bearings. At a minimum I will pack/repack them with grease: if corroded, I will replace. That doesn't look like a huge operation.

aj@x

If they are brown with rust that would mean there was no lube in there at all to start with. Water from rain and washing wouldn't be enough to wash the grease out enough to let the parts rust on such a new bike. KTM really need to lean on the Bajaj QC blokes, too many stupid corners cut on this bike, it's a great bike but it's third world class assembly really lets it down.

Andy

Country flag
Chap at our local KTM dealer said all bikes come back via Austria for quality control check although that may just be for those bikes destined for Europe and the UK.

aj@x

Australian bikes do not get checked by Austria, there are however Austrian QC personal in india working with Bajaj to oversee things. I know for sure UK, European bikes are checked via Austria before despatch to dealership, not sure about the NA ones. In general Indian people are lovely and they are hard working people with good intentions, i have nothing against them at all but what i am about to say is from my own personal experience working as a supervisor of over thirty people that happen to be of indian nationality here in Australia in a manual labor setting, not 7/11 or any of those.

The biggest challenge i always had was the quality and workmanship of the work performed, they always worked very hard, very positive attitudes and always willing to listen and try harder, that was never an issue. The issue was no matter how hard and how much i taught and explained in great detail with patience they didn't understand the western expectation of quality, as long as things went together and it worked seemed to be enough for them...for the company we were working for well of course they wanted the quality as well and so they should as we were paid very well. I was the third supervisor to work with this branch after the previous two gave up due to the quality issue, i eventually did the same as i was stuck in the middle of higher management and a crew that were hard working and lovely people but just couldn't grasp what is expected quality wise, i also left because i had a better offer.

I'm expecting some harsh comments from some indian members here for saying all this however like it or not it's the truth, if workmanship was given more focus in the indian factories then yes the product would excel in every way as that is all that is letting things like the 390 down at this point in time.

Diploman

Here is a schematic of the 390 steering head assembly (thanks to Zippy49 of the Duke forum). Adjustment of the steering head bearings is accomplished by tightening or loosening part 7, the "top adjusting nut". This requires a special tool available from KTM (or perhaps an appropriately-sized c spanner might work). The "top bolt" referred to in the previous post here is simply a nut that attaches the top yoke to the steering stem.
-----------

Okay, one last pic. I think I might see where it could be tough to find a roller set replacement. The order of the parts shown are:

Top adjusting nut (7)
Protection Cap (6)
Upper (cup) race
Top bearing assembly
Lower (single sided cone) race
(space)
Lower (cup) race
Lower bearing assembly
"Double sided" cone race
Thin steel washer
Rubber sealing washer

It appears that the last two pieces fit against the lower "cone" of the bottom race, and provide a seal against water, etc. Other than that, there seems to be no other protection against water entry.

I would be very cautious with a pressure washer in this area.....

Attached Thumbnails

Ryanthegreat1

My steering head bearings were greased from the factory. Yay.

ID is 29.95mm and OD is 48mm. Did not get a thickness because I did not have to remove the races. So far I am not finding an off the shelf bearing that fits.

IMG_20151021_151133.jpg