The Second Oil Change (after break in oil change)

Matt

Hello all,

I'm doing the 2nd oil change myself using Motul Synthetic 15w-40 and K&N oil filter.

Questions:

► Im currently at 5500 miles. I'm guessing an oil change interval got skipped being that this is my 2nd oil change (1st @ 600 mi.)
► How often to replace the screens and O-rings?

Thanks in advance!

big_sur

You're probably on schedule assuming it's a street bike (every 7,500km). You should clean the screens when you do the oil change, but they aren't a wear item so you shouldn't need to replace them or the attached o-rings unless you notice that they are damaged.

Treachery

Country flag
^^^^^
Agreed. One of the two O-rings got buggered at some point on mine. I had to buy the "kit," which contained the filter, both screens and maybe an O-ring for the filter cover, I don't remember. So, I used the new screen for the damaged one, cleaned it up, put a new O-ring on it and have it for a spare.

KTMGene390

I changed my oil at 600, 1000, 1500 and the last oil change at 3000 miles. The last change at 3000 miles the oil was black in color and the filter was very dirty. The oil screens had quite a few metal shavings, most likely because my bike won't stop jumping out of any gear constantly.

If you ride conservatively, change it every 2,500 miles after the 600 mile and 1000 mile oil change. The reason being the oil filter is small and will fill quickly to capacity depending on how you ride.

Last edited:

Matt

I changed my oil at 600, 1000, 1500 and the last oil change at 3000 miles. The last change at 3000 miles the oil was black in color and the filter was very dirty. The oil screens had quite a few metal shavings, most likely because my bike won't stop jumping out of any gear constantly.

If you ride conservatively, change it every 2,500 miles after the 600 mile and 1000 mile oil change. The reason being the oil filter is small and will fill quickly to capacity depending on how you ride.

►The oil being black and jumping out of gears, I'm curious what oil were you using (grade/brand/weight)?
► (I use the bike to commute 800mi/month) I figured I would go with the standard of changing oil every ~3k miles but I'm getting different answers for this bike 0_o

KTMGene390

►The oil being black and jumping out of gears, I'm curious what oil were you using (grade/brand/weight)?
► (I use the bike to commute 800mi/month) I figured I would go with the standard of changing oil every ~3k miles but I'm getting different answers for this bike 0_o

I was and still am using Motorex Power Synthetic 10W-50W oil. It's also what came in my bike from the dealership when new. My use of the bike is not exactly typical as it's heavy modified and I ride it accordingly. :D

A good idea I think is to change just the oil filter occasionally because it's not the oil but the filter that clogs sometimes early. I might start changing just the filter every 1000 miles and the oil & filter every 2000 miles on mine.

Last edited:

Matt

I was and still am using Motorex Power Synthetic 10W-50W oil. It's also what came in my bike from the dealership when new. My use of the bike is not exactly typical as it's heavy modified and I ride it accordingly. :D

A good idea I think is to change just the oil filter occasionally because it's not the oil but the filter that clogs sometimes early. I might start changing just the filter every 1000 miles and the oil & filter every 2000 miles on mine.

Ahh.. That makes sense why you changed it so frequently and it was black; full synthetic from the start.

Thanks for the tip about the filters. I havn't seen them in person but awaiting for it in the mail. For 6$ a filter I wouldn't mind doing that.

AirRsq

I might start changing just the filter every 1000 miles and the oil & filter every 2000 miles on mine.

Good luck with that. How do you propose that you will change the filter without also changing the oil? Lay it on its left side? :confused:

aj@x

Good luck with that. How do you propose that you will change the filter without also changing the oil? Lay it on its left side? :confused:

He would drain it, change filter and clean screens then pour the drained oil back in.

KTMGene390

Simply park the bike on the kickstand. The filter is on the right side and you may lose a little bit of oil like half a quart but probably not more than a quarter. This will not work on most bikes but the RC holds only 1.9 quarts of oil most of which sits low in the bike, that is why the main drain bolt is near the kickstand. This is not the best option but an option.

Also, when you think about it you can't even see any oil in the sight glass with the bike level when the bike has the proper amount of oil in it and is cold. Only when it's hot should it be at the half way mark when level and you waited a minute after turning the bike off to check.

Last edited:

treckin

I am a very experienced mechanic. I change the oil and filter every 500 miles as well as clean the screens. I use the recommended Moterex 10-50 4t every time. I tried the K&N oil filter but didnt like the fit - threw it away. I order two OEM filter kits at a time.

AirRsq

I am a very experienced mechanic. I change the oil and filter every 500 miles as well as clean the screens. I use the recommended Moterex 10-50 4t every time. I tried the K&N oil filter but didnt like the fit - threw it away. I order two OEM filter kits at a time.

:confused: What did you not like about the K&N fit? And every 500 miles? Wow, that's like $45-50/mo in oil & filter.