Tired of waiting?

cornerslider

Is anybody (other than me) tired of KTM dealers over promising, and under delivering???? I ordered a 2016 RC last year. I was told it would be arriving in February 2016..... It arrived on May 19th [emoji35]- I recently sold it (due to my 48 year old body being too beat up to ride it effectively on the track). I ordered a 2017 Duke 390 to replace it. I was told "it should easily be here in March".... I hear crickets...... I just want my bike when I'm told it will be here. Who's with me on this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't your dealers have them in stock? Ours here in Oz have them as you want to buy them.

Honestly if I had to wait for a bike I dont think i would buy it.

kaede

I put down a deposit for a 2017 RC 390 around early March here in Vancouver BC. Dealer told me should be expecting delivery around April. When I checked up couple days ago, they told me they do not have a firm date and that it might arrive sometimes late April - Early May… Hope it won't be TOO long of a wait or I'll end up maybe changing my mind and going with another bike (bmw g310r or so pretty sick deals for yamaha fz07/ honda cbr500r).

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Blame KTM for the system not your local dealer. As a KTM dealer I can give you a little insight on how KTM does ordering and deliveries. We as dealers place 1 order per year, for the 2017 street line we placed our order in October. In December KTM gives us an allocation which is more then likely not what we ordered :) with expected arrival dates. For example I have a calendar showing that I should have recieved 1 of every new 2017 in March, this is the only information that I have as a dealer. The reality is that its April 8th and I haven't seen a 2017 street model yet and don't know why, I call KTM and they have no expected ETA. Ah the joys of dealing with KTM on a business level...

wow that is very disappointing to hear Pacman and I bet it causes you guys no end of grief from customers and management alike.

Thanks for your feedback as for us not in the inside info we are merely guessing otherwise

stevieboy

Country flag
Have you looked at non-current or used? There are some crazy good deals available. Plus no huge dealer fees!

kaede

Have you looked at non-current or used? There are some crazy good deals available. Plus no huge dealer fees!
There is literally only 2 dealers here in Greater Vancouver Canada and allocations for RC 390 might not be many (i only know of maybe 3 or 4 other RC 390 owners in BC.) Importing from another province would negate the cost of the discounts I could score, and personally, i think the 2017 does have upgrades that are worth the MSRP. At $5999 CAD + some fees and tax, we here in Canada have a pretty good deal already when compared to USD ($4500USD, US MSRP is slightly higher than that no?)

Based on some horrifying reliability stories, buying new would give me some extra peace of mind as well (having warranty, breaking it in myself and riding it myself etc).

=maz=

Country flag
Based on some horrifying reliability stories, buying new would give me some extra peace of mind as well (having warranty, breaking it in myself and riding it myself etc).

We thought the same thing when we purchased new... Didn't help.
Basically I think the only way to resolve the reliability issues with the RC is a full rebuild with everything re-torqued to spec... Pretty sure it's pot luck with the factory output.

kaede

We thought the same thing when we purchased new... Didn't help.Basically I think the only way to resolve the reliability issues with the RC is a full rebuild with everything re-torqued to spec... Pretty sure it's pot luck with the factory output.
=( hopefully they picked up their QC for this year's models :p especially with the new introduction of the 1290 super duke and duke 390.

Abhi9cr7

Are they now making the 1290 at the Bajaj factory as well as the 390 now?

With BMW Motorrad launching their top leader motorcycles in India, I assume KTM are manufacturing duke 1290 in India. Irrespective of Duke 1290, don't you think they would spend last two years on fixing the problem which reduced the sales of 2016 version? If they didn't, they wouldn't have given it many upgrades like ride-by-wire and slipper clutch. Instead they would have waited one more year without any changes to current lineup while working on the issues.

I am waiting for 2017 version as well. And all I can hope is that they are more reliable. To keep my options open, I got insurance quote for RC390 and R3. Let's see who wins..[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abhi9cr7

I am in contact with the dealers for quite sometime now. Dealers here in Massachusetts told me to call them daily and check, I am frustrated as hell. Same story with R3 as well. So I don't think its the issue with KTM.

isaac_

I am in contact with the dealers for quite sometime now. Dealers here in Massachusetts told me to call them daily and check, I am frustrated as hell. Same story with R3 as well. So I don't think its the issue with KTM.

Went by my local dealer in CT. Nothing.

kaede

@Abhi9cr7 Quite surprised that you've been waiting for the R3 as well. Here where i am in Vancouver Canada, at a big dealer where i ordered my RC 390 there was at least 15-20 R3's sitting in the showroom... Insurance wise in Vancouver we pay usually around 3-4x as much when compared to the US... so cant really comment. But since both the R3 and RC 390 are sub 400cc classes, really don't think the premiums will differ much. Cheers!

Abhi9cr7

@Abhi9cr7 Quite surprised that you've been waiting for the R3 as well. Here where i am in Vancouver Canada, at a big dealer where i ordered my RC 390 there was at least 15-20 R3's sitting in the showroom... Insurance wise in Vancouver we pay usually around 3-4x as much when compared to the US... so cant really comment. But since both the R3 and RC 390 are sub 400cc classes, really don't think the premiums will differ much. Cheers!

Like in Canada, I don't get to ride for good half of the year. I didnt want to waste half of the year waiting for the bike and another half with its problems. So I still have R3 as a backup in case RC390 doesn't show up by May.

Last edited: