Track Day at Circuit of the Americas

Flippn

Country flag
Here's one lap from my track day at COTA this past Saturday. The video was taken on board the riding coach, I'm on my RC390 wearing a blue T-shirt over my leathers. The video picks up in the back straight of the track.

First time riding the bike with the Yoyodyne slipper. I've never ridden a bike with one so it felt a little weird to me.

I was allowed to ride in group 2 Advanced despite the closing speed, I just had to make sure to stay to the right in the straights. Next level up was 3 which is expert. No inside passing in my group unless the lead rider hasn't started his lean yet. Got a few good tips/critique from the coach. Feel free to provide feedback as well, take it easy though...I have no aspiration of being a pro. Just having fun on two wheels while I still can.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/m-nf_ZoDz9g[/video]

Sorry, I don't know how to embed the video. Not sure if this link works.

Last edited:

motoputz

Country flag
you were doing better in the corners than the than those guys riding around you. And it looks like you closed the gap on them through the the twisty bit so you were carrying more corner speed. Your turn in to the corner looked good with pretty good body position. Work on leading with your head. You are shifting your body into the corner well but you are keeping your head closer to the center line of the bike. Let your head lead your shoulders into the turn. It will quicken your turn in and is more comfortable, less strain on your neck and shoulder muscles. Think Colin Edwards. Try to stay tucked in when picking the bike back up out of the corner. lastly, worry less about the guys riding around you, especially in the advanced groups. Pick a line and stay with it. Do not adjust your line because you think there is a faster guy behind you trying to get around. be smooth and predictable. the guy passing has to find a safe way around. With more track time I am sure all of those guys that go rocketing by you on the straights will be looking at you back side at the end of the next sections of corners. It looks like you had a blast.

Flippn

Country flag
You're spot on with the riding coach's feedback. I'll continue to work on the items you mentioned, thanks! Here's a few shots from the photographer at the track.
SAT_IMG_14349.jpg
SAT_IMG_15946.jpg
SAT_IMG_14378 r1.jpg

Seth

Country flag
How cool is this! In just a couple weeks the MOTOGP is going to be riding on the same track. Pure gold!