Transmission Gear - Catching / Engaging while in Neutral!

fed007

Hi Guys, I have a weird situation developing on my 2015 RC 390.

Essentially with the bike cold and in neutral I can roll it forward and back no problem until I lean it over to the right, As soon as I lean it over to the right it will engage the gear somehow and an the rear will skid.

This is not a false neutral - it is the real neutral position. When I shift to first ... it seems to also be irrelevant of the clutch since with the clutch pulled in (disengaged) the behavior stays.

To make matters more confusing , if I shift it into second while the bike is off from neutral I can push the bike fine with the clutch pulled in.

It seems to me that something in the shifting mechanisms are really screwed up and or first gear.

The bike is under warranty and I'll have to bring it in because I am not sure if it is safe to ride in case the gear box locks up.

Fed007

Bagwell

Country flag
I have only heard of a problem with the clutch or something on the RC390 Cup bikes. I cant remember specifics but I will get all the specifics next time I talk to the guy I heard it from. Had to do with a Cup bike at a race and them fixing it there somehow. Im not sure this will be the same as your problem or solve your problem but its the only thing I know of having to do with shifting and clutch etc.

fed007

Hmmm, I just dumped the oil , cleaned the screens etc all looked pretty normal.

I am hoping it is a clutch issue and not anything requiring splitting the cases on a brand new engine.

The part that bugs me is that the driveline is engaging while in neutral and leaned over. It is as if one of the gears are loose to slide over. maybe something with the shift cams around the first gear mark.

That is all open case stuff :(

Fed