Well, I woke up this morning at it was gone.

regular_guy

Well, I woke up this morning and it was gone.

So it looks like my bike was stolen last night. Had just over 200 miles on it. Got it about a month ago and it's been freezing. Terrible day. Let's see how Geico handles the claim.

Last edited:

Hekimpd

Omg, man I'm so sorry. Any leads at all? Has it snowed so you can try to trace where it went? Also, they can add the vin# to what's called NCIC/LEADS so if it's found you'll get. Please keep us posted. :(

Keep an eye on Craig's list. There's been a lot of stolen bikes found on there.

regular_guy

I got a box in the bedroom with the t-rex sliders and engine covers, a factory exhaust, a factory fender, a set of yoshimura spools, the mnnthbx ball mount, phone mount and gopro mount, and some driven d3 grips just sitting there looking all sad like they don't have a home anymore. It's been super cold here for the last month, and isn't warming up for another month really, and so I was going to get all that put on and get my 1st oil change and be good to go for the summer. What a shitty day.

regular_guy

I made the police report this morning, so they've got the VIN and all that. The bike is pretty distinctive, as you guys all know. There were hardly any for sale in Alabama. Only 2 that I could find and this one had to be shipped from Mobile to Birmingham for me to even get it. But, unfortunately, to most people all sport bikes look the same. The yoshimura pipes are loud at least, and the bike is pretty distinctive, so I'm crossing my fingers that it gets located, but the odds of that happening are usually not very good. I do have comprehensive coverage so theft is covered. So that's good. Had to make the claim this morning. It would be nice to just get it back like find it down the street or something but who knows. It just really sucks. I had another bike stolen in 2005 and it was never recovered, and I didn't have comprehensive and so I had to pay it off out of pocket which sucked bad. At least this time it's insured for this.

tecknojoe

Country flag
Good thing you have theft insurance, it's very common for sportbikes to get stolen.

You'll probably never see the bike again, and if you do it's likely to be crashed. Also the police won't care.

If it were me, I'd get the check as quick as I could and hope to not see the bike again. Just go buy a new one

regular_guy

I've got 3 policies with the insurance company, and they're all paid in full. Never had a claim on any of them. Doing what I'm supposed to with the police reports and all that so hopefully it'll get settled quickly.

Topaz

Country flag
Sorry to hear, man. Was it outside? Sometimes condo parking lots are the best spots for thieves.

Let us know how Geico treats you with the claim.

regular_guy

It was outside for 2 nights. It's been staying in a shed with motion sensors that are attached to a home alarm system otherwise. So 2 nights it was outside at an apartment and that's all it took. Should be pretty cut and dried with the claim. I lost another bike in 2005, and so this time around I made sure to have every coverage that was available. That way they can't say I didn't have something or another covered because I literally took all the coverage that I could get. I filed the claim this afternoon. I'll keep you guys posted about the experience.

BikeGuyRob

Very sorry this happened to you. Had my BMW S1000rr stolen out of my garage a few years back, McGraw Powersports Insurance had a check in my hand in 2 weeks. They never found the bike, as expected. I hope everyone has comprehensive as sport bikes are the target of low lifes in every state. My Rc has 4 locks on it even in the garage!

OldVet

Man sorry to hear this, that really sucks I hate thieves. I would assume you will get a full payout less your deductible.

regular_guy

Spoke with insurance adjuster this morning. She said she had all the information and confirmed that I had dotted my i's and crossed my t's so to speak. She said I have to wait 14 days to see if the police recover it, then if they hadn't that she could deem it a total loss and get started on the claim.

regular_guy

Well, I'll go ahead and give Geico 5 stars. I've gotta send them the keys and some paperwork in lieu of the title, (because the title hadn't been issued yet since the bike was so new), and they've got the check ready to mail. Would have been last week except I was confused about the paperwork. Since I don't have a title, (the state put issuing it on hold when the bike for listed as stolen), I have to give Geico a power of attorney so that if it's recovered they can get a title for it since it'll be theirs once they send me the check. My deductible was 500, I paid 5600 out the door for the bike, and they're paying a little 5100 and some change give or take. So I didn't make anything on the deal, and it's like I had to pay my deductible, (which I think is fair), and my rates aren't going up, so that's good.

I said I'd post my experience here so there it is. Keep those bikes locked up tight ladies and gentlemen. Even if you're just visiting a friend for the night. Hopefully no one else ends up having to go through this, but if you do and you have Geico, then maybe your experience will be smooth and easy like mine was.

My buddy has an old cbr f4i that he's been babying for years. I might pick that up for a fraction of the insurance check and throw the rest into my ameritrade account. Then I'll be back on 2 wheels and maybe making a little money off the rest.

Hekimpd

Well, when everything is all said and done, doesn't seem it bad. Hate to see you lost the bike, but that's why we have insurance. I wish you luck on whatever you decide to get. :)

regular_guy

No doubt about the insurance. I lost in in 2005 the same way, and I only had liability because I was younger and the insurance rates were prohibitively expensive. Had to make payments on it after it was stolen. That was one of the worst things ever. What's messed up is that I had a shed at my mom's place across town where the RC was going to stay and I left it out at a friend's apartment a few nights and I came outside one morning at it was gone.

cornerslider

I hope I'm not "hijacking" this thread.... I just wanted to give five stars to Progressive Insurance based on my experience with them about 10 months ago. They earned a customer for life! My wife dropped her bike. I figured I could fix it myself for maybe $600? The adjuster came out, and found a bunch of "cosmetic" stuff I didn't even see? They ended up writing it off as a "total". They wrote us a check for what we paid for the bike + 100% replacement cost of all the aftermarket parts, and ALL protective riding gear..... I couldn't believe it? I was gearing up for a fight, and they hand delivered a check within 72 hours of filing a claim. I had NEVER had customer service like this-