Where do I put this overflow tube? Not sure what it is. It is just hanging

ccoaston

Country flag
I was washing my bike and I saw this tube just hanging. Not sure if this is a over flow tube but where does it securely go? Is it suppose to just hang like this?

IMG_1486.jpg

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
It goes where it is. It is secured by a clip on the inside of the fairing. You should periodically remove the plug to drain the tube, and then reinstall the plug. Read your owners manual.

KBear

Country flag
It goes where it is. It is secured by a clip on the inside of the fairing. You should periodically remove the plug to drain the tube, and then reinstall the plug. Read your owners manual.
I did look at my Owner's Manual regarding this overflow tube and could not find anything about it. What is this overflow tube for? I did drain it today and just a couple drops came out of somewhat brownish liquid.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
It drains oil and water that have condensed from vapor in the bottom of the air box. The plug prevents unfiltered air from bypassing the filter.

I had assumed that the manual covered that, but maybe not. Sorry.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I just checked the manual. Section 10.3 Recommended work. Two drainage hose items listed for every 4650 miles and annually.

Mine has been pretty dry, like yours, but I've had other bikes drain 6 ounces or so. I imagine it depends on ambient humidity and temperature as well as on how much the crankcase vents, condition of piston rings, oil level, ....

Fasteddy

Country flag
FWIW
It is condensed fuel vapor accumulator for charcoal canister as part of the fuel vapor emission recovery system. The retainer clip, held in place with double sided tape lasted about 6 months on mine. Most owners remove the canister and associated plumbing...

KBear

Country flag
I just checked the manual. Section 10.3 Recommended work. Two drainage hose items listed for every 4650 miles and annually.
Thank you! But if one didn't know where this drain plug was how would you know where to look for that particular plug. I'm not certain.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Thank you! But if one didn't know where this drain plug was how would you know where to look for that particular plug. I'm not certain.
and

So true. KTM manuals are weak.
And Fasteddy is right; the air box drain is a different hose. The one you asked about connects to the charcoal canister and the fuel cap drain.

ccoaston

Country flag
and

So true. KTM manuals are weak.
And Fasteddy is right; the air box drain is a different hose. The one you asked about connects to the charcoal canister and the fuel cap drain.

Thanks! I just checked the updates on this post. Just did my first service at my house and not the dealer. They wanted to charged me $189.

Fasteddy

Country flag
No, the vapor recovery system uses a separate hose that routes to the fuel tank cap, raised boss toward the rear of cap, which has a diaphragm pressure valve in it, The filler well has another hose which is lower and on the left side that is the overflow drain, this hose runs to the 'Y' that also connects to the coolant overflow tank.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Early on in forum there were reports of the coolant / steam coming out from around the fuel filler cap, at that point I decided to separate the two overflow lines....