wont start

hvlmike

Country flag
My2017 rc390 ran fine when I parked it. Went to start it after a few weeks and it turned over...coughed...then died. After that it just turns over and the starter keeps running until I hit the kill switch??? I thought I fouled the plug but after replacing that and charging the battery (even though it turned over fine)... still have same symptoms. At one point it flashed a "MES CAN FAILURE" alarm...whatever the hell THAT is...but hasn't shown it since. I recently did a leak down and compression test...alll good. Like I said...it was running fine when I parked it. I'm thinking electrical but not sure where to start???

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I think you mean "CAN EMS FAILURE"

Test your battery. First with a voltage tester. If it passes that, then test it with a load tester. Auto parts stores have load testers. Just because it has been charged and turns the engine does NOT mean it is good enough to operate the electronics.

If the batterey test good, then check your ground connections as well as both battery terminal connections to be sure they are clean and shiny bright and tight.

hvlmike

Country flag
I think you mean "CAN EMS FAILURE"

Test your battery. First with a voltage tester. If it passes that, then test it with a load tester. Auto parts stores have load testers. Just because it has been charged and turns the engine does NOT mean it is good enough to operate the electronics.

If the batterey test good, then check your ground connections as well as both battery terminal connections to be sure they are clean and shiny bright and tight.

Yah...I only saw the message for a couple seconds and my memory isn't that good lol. I replaced the battery last month...maybe it's a bad one. I'll look in to it...thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

hvlmike

Country flag
Still no luck. I even replaced the battery with one off my DRZ400. I checked all the connections as well. What would cause the starter to continue to spin after letting off the button? I'm wondering if the short is in the starter switch.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Traditionally, a starter that won't stop running indicates a starter relay whose contacts have welded themselves together. Your situation differs in that apparently it resets itself after you hit the kill switch? The CAN Bus error suggests maybe the problem is in the computer or the wiring, rather than the switch or relay. Plus you still have the no-start.

If it were mine, I'd be scanning the computer for codes.

Sorry not to be much help on this. Do keep us informed. Good luck.

hvlmike

Country flag
thanks...I hate bringing my bike to a shop but I'll have to take it in to get it scanned. Hopefully they can pin point the problem and I can fix it myself.