Akra map

Rodolfo

My dealer is new, and is just reciving The computer to change The map

What is The name of The akra map?

The one for The akra pipe, air filter?

Dont know if it is The same for The cup bike or street bike? Mine is The street model

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Only one other map available (the akra/cup) they are the same. Ktm nomenclature mapping wise is strange. We just call it the "akra map" tell your dealer it ends in _______9031. If I was at shop Id give you whole number, but like I say it's the only other option besides stock one. It's only for the pipe, no air filter since the cup uses stock air filter/lid/snorkel. If doing the exhaust, high flow filter and lid mod, it needs a Pcv.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Thanks chad

Does The bike fill with more power with The map?

It's pretty marginal gains with just the map, it really wakes up with a PCV filter and lid mod! Properly tuned... The map raises rev limit 250 rpm as well.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
It's pretty marginal gains with just the map, it really wakes up with a PCV filter and lid mod! Properly tuned... The map raises rev limit 250 rpm as well.

I gained 3HP with torque and HP gains across the full range, with JUST the map. This is the difference between runs with no changes on a street bike, other than just the Akrapovic map applied:
vt2e-92r0G1shknCChnmw974s6TYa72-WOpavesODDM=w1280-h503-no

Run_003: Bone stock baseline
Run_016: Bone stock with only change being application of the Akrapovic mapping to the ECU

For the point of discussion of the rest, you can ignore run_025. That involved a lot of other changes. But, with the application of the Akra map, even with the stock exhaust still on, it did away with the changes on the stock street ECU for EPA/Emissions. I agree with Chad that a PCv is really needed for proper tuning, but it is an easy performance increase.

RoninJames

damn Matt!!! 3hp from just the map??? i take my bike in for first service thursday... should i ask them to load the akra map on my stock bike???

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
damn Matt!!! 3hp from just the map??? i take my bike in for first service thursday... should i ask them to load the akra map on my stock bike???

I was pretty surprised myself, but that's what happened on the dyno. I think a lot missed that on the post from when I reported my exhaust development work findings. The Akra map, even with stock exhaust, and ZERO other changes, did that. I'm noticing it's running cooler around town as well... likely because it's not running so lean for the EPA / Emissions standards. I would say yeah, do it. I would leave your airbox alone, and your stock alone, until you get the PCv, however. If you can get a dyno run, or have a ODB2 connector, you should be able to see what your AFR is looking like as well, with the Akra map and no other changes.

I just emailed asking if I can get sent a graph showing just the runs 3 vs 16 which also includes AFR... as that's the missing piece of the puzzle from those particular runs showing bone stock vs bone stock + Akra map. Of course, in a few weeks time, that may all be moot, when Chad gets his latest test mule street 390 and can show bone stock, Akra Map, and then the lid mod, K&N, + PCv (plus possible stock exhaust with gutted CAT).

Ryanthegreat1

I wonder if the map fixes the light throttle lean surge around town. I find that REALLY annoying! Might be worth the 0.5 hour of labor or whatever to make it happen.

At least until I can save up enough bones to buy a PCv.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The akra map is still Euro 3 compliant (meaning closed loop, O2 senor active etc) why its still lean at part throttle. Matt might have gained 3 hp on WOT pulls where he tested but notice no AFR graphs, and where did it loose on smaller throttle applications??? There's a right way and wrong way to do things.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The akra map is still Euro 3 compliant (meaning closed loop, O2 senor active etc) why its still lean at part throttle. Matt might have gained 3 hp on WOT pulls where he tested but notice no AFR graphs, and where did it loose on smaller throttle applications??? There's a right way and wrong way to do things.

Hey... I'm workin' on getting AFR! :) Gimmie a BIT of time Bubba! :) Yes, the pulls from the dyno graph are 4th gear WOT. The data is available, I just don't have raw files (or software) so I have to ask the dyno owner to put the graph together for me and send it. I'll have no data for partial throttle anything. Not tryin' to start a fire, just mentioned I have some dyno data showing what the question asked was from my tests. I'm in 100% full agreement that any and ALL claims of power need to be backed up with "Show me your Dyno results!" In fact, I'm all for that being a forum rule!

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hey... I'm workin' on getting AFR! :) Gimmie a BIT of time Bubba! :) Yes, the pulls from the dyno graph are 4th gear WOT. The data is available, I just don't have raw files (or software) so I have to ask the dyno owner to put the graph together for me and send it. I'll have no data for partial throttle anything. Not tryin' to start a fire, just mentioned I have some dyno data showing what the question asked was from my tests. I'm in 100% full agreement that any and ALL claims of power need to be backed up with "Show me your Dyno results!" In fact, I'm all for that being a forum rule!
I didn't throw you under the bus :). Just want people to know why/what factory maps do and don't do, and to think that just putting in the akra map is the proper thing to do for a stock bike. I'm not here just to sell products but to provide owners with proper information and get the best performance/bang for buck/etc. I'm a dealer and know something things most people don't or won't share. Not trying to bust your balls!

ArkansasDave

I don't care about power just want proper afr and a happy long lasting motor. Leave the stock map or do Akra? The bike will likely stay stock engine mods for awhile.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I don't care about power just want proper afr and a happy long lasting motor. Leave the stock map or do Akra? The bike will likely stay stock engine mods for awhile.

I believe the bike will run equally as bad on either map, for didfenrent reasons on a stock bike (stock exh, air filter, and engine). If you want it happy put a Pcv on it, or if that's not an option leave it be as is.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
As previously promised, here is my Dyno results for my test mule street RC pulls for Bone Stock (RunFile_001) vs with the Akrapovic map installed (RunFile_004) with ZERO other changes: Pulls were performed immediately following my performing the initial 620 mile service (at 624 miles) with the MotoMan (warm up the motor and then Seat Those Rings in HARD) style "rough" break-in method:
KGFaaMnstISwHU2xh7ftvuNN3eK_fNGVTJ0YL2ccZrE=w1667-h653-no

This is a 4th gear, WFO roll on test. Partial throttle openings won't directly apply (Open Loop? Closed Loop? Whazzat???!)

So, AFR is better from 6k to 8k. I picked up HP and Torque across the range. The bike isn't kicking on the fan riding at around town speeds with lower RPMs and lower speeds -=AS-MUCH=- (but still is) so much of the lean conditions at lower RPMs and partial throttle openings would APPEAR to have been improved (but I can't back that up as I have no ACTUAL AFR readings/recordings to back that up), but, from my test, with my dyno results, with my bike, it appears to have been a very good improvement with no negative impacts and all positive. I would say this is a no brainer "upgrade" to have the dealer do next time you're there and having anything else done, or have them do it alone. As Chad points out, going with a PCv with a REAL tune is obviously the better way to go here, but, given ALL his maps will be build upon the Akrapovic mapping already being applied (at least all his prior ones were, Chad?) it's a prerequisite to the PCv anyway, so if you are considering doing the PCv eventually, I would say there is no reason to wait. This isn't REAL tuning, tho it does appear to improve the stock state of tune enough to pick up some power, improve AFR, and anecdotal observation has indicated a reduced the incidence of the fan being on CONSTANTLY around town. I don't know what this will do to YOUR mileage. 99.9% of all my testing and riding are done at either 0 or 100% throttle, with nearly all of my partial throttle openings being that momentary point between. I don't commute on my RC. I don't fetch my biscuits with it. This is one datapoint, but it's actual dyno data not just butt dyno or placebo. (that enough modifiers Chad? LOL)

YMMV. No PCv. SMYD (Show Me Your Dyno). TLDR. OMGWTFBBQ.

Ryanthegreat1

Thanks Matt!

Looks like that sudden jump in power at 7k is smoothed out by the added power lower in the rev range. Probably takes some of the character out of the engine but makes for a better faster ride I bet. Sort of like VTEC, that 20-30HP jump at switch over is fun to drive but you can make more power having a smooth transition by changing the VTEC switch over point.

Chad is the Akro map what your PCv tunes are built on top of?

Guyhowdy

As previously promised, here is my Dyno results for my test mule street RC pulls for Bone Stock (RunFile_001) vs with the Akrapovic map installed (RunFile_004) with ZERO other changes: Pulls were performed immediately following my performing the initial 620 mile service (at 624 miles) with the MotoMan (warm up the motor and then Seat Those Rings in HARD) style "rough" break-in method:
KGFaaMnstISwHU2xh7ftvuNN3eK_fNGVTJ0YL2ccZrE=w1667-h653-no

This is a 4th gear, WFO roll on test. Partial throttle openings won't directly apply (Open Loop? Closed Loop? Whazzat???!)

So, AFR is better from 6k to 8k. I picked up HP and Torque across the range. The bike isn't kicking on the fan riding at around town speeds with lower RPMs and lower speeds -=AS-MUCH=- (but still is) so much of the lean conditions at lower RPMs and partial throttle openings would APPEAR to have been improved (but I can't back that up as I have no ACTUAL AFR readings/recordings to back that up), but, from my test, with my dyno results, with my bike, it appears to have been a very good improvement with no negative impacts and all positive. I would say this is a no brainer "upgrade" to have the dealer do next time you're there and having anything else done, or have them do it alone. As Chad points out, going with a PCv with a REAL tune is obviously the better way to go here, but, given ALL his maps will be build upon the Akrapovic mapping already being applied (at least all his prior ones were, Chad?) it's a prerequisite to the PCv anyway, so if you are considering doing the PCv eventually, I would say there is no reason to wait. This isn't REAL tuning, tho it does appear to improve the stock state of tune enough to pick up some power, improve AFR, and anecdotal observation has indicated a reduced the incidence of the fan being on CONSTANTLY around town. I don't know what this will do to YOUR mileage. 99.9% of all my testing and riding are done at either 0 or 100% throttle, with nearly all of my partial throttle openings being that momentary point between. I don't commute on my RC. I don't fetch my biscuits with it. This is one datapoint, but it's actual dyno data not just butt dyno or placebo. (that enough modifiers Chad? LOL)

YMMV. No PCv. SMYD (Show Me Your Dyno). TLDR. OMGWTFBBQ.

Just to clear up any confusion...you are referring to a bone stock street bike with street exhaust and not a bone stock cup bike with the akra can correct?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just to clear up any confusion...you are referring to a bone stock street bike with street exhaust and not a bone stock cup bike with the akra can correct?

Yes. Street. As stated in the Exhaust Development thread. Cup bikes come with the Akrapovic map already.

Guyhowdy

Yes. Street. As stated in the Exhaust Development thread. Cup bikes come with the Akrapovic map already.

Ahh ok thanks, that makes sense. I'm going to ask my local dealer here in Beverly Hills to upload the Akra map for me next time I'm in since I eventually plan on getting a PCV too...I'm preparing myself for the look they're going to give me when I ask for it on my stock exhaust bike :)