Akrapovič Exhaust - Catalytic Converter

Bags

Does anyone know if the Akrapovic exhaust that KTM offers on the Cup Bike has a catalytic converter or not? There is a large canister behind the engine. This is a track bike only. So there is no need to catalytic converter. Unfortunately there is no information on Akrapovic's website. Akropovic also directs you to the KTM dealer for KTM exhausts. So they aren't much help.

ryandalling

I was told that the giant canister is not a catalytic converter. I bought the akra and its the same one as is on the cup bikes. I was told its something like a boom canister for singles.

Bags

OK thanks guys. I was getting ready to have some one cut and weld some straight pipping in place.

rctrackguy

There is a cat in there. Try pushing a wire though, it will hit the cat. Use a small mechanics mirror you will see it.

Bags

Correct. I found that out reading a blog about the bikes actually:
The standard underfloor exhaust is replaced by an Akrapovic exhaust system (titanium silencer and central tube including cat).

http://blog.ktm.com/adac-junior-cup-powered-by-ktm-technique-of-the-ktm-rc-390-cup/

rctrackguy

I thought about trying to break it up with something flexible....tent pole.....fish tape...something....But I decided its not worth it. Acra is still tones lighter than stock. I suppose you could core it out, and remove the baffle....but meh.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I thought about trying to break it up with something flexible....tent pole.....fish tape...something....But I decided its not worth it. Acra is still tones lighter than stock. I suppose you could core it out, and remove the baffle....but meh.

I was thinking more along the lines of laparoscopic surgery, a well placed hole saw opening or two opening the middle section above the cat itself to allow a bypass around it, then a patch over the outside skin...
A1VW2NV has a thread with some pretty good pics for locating placement.

Bags

The biggest concern with the current aftermarket offerings is ground clearance. If you don't take it to the track it likely won't matter but on the track it really matters. My Ninja 250 we had to raise the pegs to the maximum and modify the exhaust to get some ground clearance. The Akrapovic system does provide additional ground clearance.