Anyone else racing their KTM's?

Doctor Chocolate

I started racing my KTM at the beginning of 2016 and the bike has progressed along with the season. I started out basically stock and the most beneficial mod I've made since the beginning has been the the suspension. Recently I installed the Cometic head gasket to prevent blowing a gasket (which seems to be pretty common) I also had a special valve job done and the bike felt a bit improved on the power end. The video I cut from my latest race is below, but I'm curious to hear what else you racing guys have found that help with performance. All in all I'm running the galfer front disc, yosh exhaust, driven triple, tyga rear sets, andreani front front internals, ohlins rear, power commander, cometic head gasket, and pirelli super corsas.

[video=youtube;xtv15J0IW_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtv15J0IW_0[/video]

Thetonious

Yo Doctor Chocolate! It's your boy Tony (888)! I had the R6 rear shock swap done, had my front forks re-valved and re-sprung. I got case covers and lever protectors and other cosmetic race add ons. So far i've done a few track days and two CVMA race rounds. I've ordered a PCV and wideband tuner, a Galfer front brake set-up, quick turn throttle, and a smaller rear sprocket to instal for the next round. I'm hoping to make the top 20 this time! I qualified dead last but finished 5 spots up last outing. I hope you can make it out for round 3.

Doctor Chocolate

Thanks for the compliments! EnergyHou, I'd be very curious to hear how the bike holds up in an endurance race. Are you guys planning on keeping the bike stock?

EnergyHOU

Thanks for the compliments! EnergyHou, I'd be very curious to hear how the bike holds up in an endurance race. Are you guys planning on keeping the bike stock?

Ha trust me we are all on the same page, going into the unknown a bit here. What is known is that from a fuel capacity standpoint we're at a disadvantage but that's about it on the knowns.

Bike will have suspension front and rear, exhaust, filter, and a tune. That's the gist of it.

tt2013

I started racing my KTM at the beginning of 2016 and the bike has progressed along with the season. I started out basically stock and the most beneficial mod I've made since the beginning has been the the suspension. Recently I installed the Cometic head gasket to prevent blowing a gasket (which seems to be pretty common) I also had a special valve job done and the bike felt a bit improved on the power end. The video I cut from my latest race is below, but I'm curious to hear what else you racing guys have found that help with performance. All in all I'm running the galfer front disc, yosh exhaust, driven triple, tyga rear sets, andreani front front internals, ohlins rear, power commander, cometic head gasket, and pirelli super corsas.

[video=youtube;xtv15J0IW_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtv15J0IW_0[/video]

Hello Doctor Chocolate,

I have the same suspension setup as your RC390. Can you tell me the suspension settings on your bike and what tires are you running? Have you played around with the geometry of the bike?

My bike steers kind of heavy for a small bike, but holds its line pretty well. I have the dunlop alpha 13 and I raised the rear to 309 mm (max allowed by the shock. The front fork geometry is stock.

Any ideas how to get my bike to steer a little easier. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

mattonrc390

Been following you on YouTube for awhile- great vids keep it up!

Picked up a CUP bike late this past season and hopefully joining a few AFM rounds and maybe WERA @ BW next season. Do you ride anything north of BW?

green_bread

Country flag
I am racing my RC with MCRA in the midwest. You can check out my videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/gr33nbr3adracing and my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gr33nbr3adracing/

14692124_1522530367774168_8645890827854536883_o.jpg

14712767_1523420511018487_993815640173748034_o.jpg

14692114_1523420444351827_1349002397656079075_o.jpg

Doctor Chocolate

Hello Doctor Chocolate,

I have the same suspension setup as your RC390. Can you tell me the suspension settings on your bike and what tires are you running? Have you played around with the geometry of the bike?

My bike steers kind of heavy for a small bike, but holds its line pretty well. I have the dunlop alpha 13 and I raised the rear to 309 mm (max allowed by the shock. The front fork geometry is stock.

Any ideas how to get my bike to steer a little easier. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

So far I haven't touched my front suspension settings but I know a lot of the KTM guys down here are adamant about raising the rear and dropping the front to help with turn in. On the rear shock I set my sag and had a friend of mine who's really good with suspension help me dial in the rear. My first issue prior to my friends help was that I couldn't get the bike to hold the line and to finish off corners. I haven't raised the height of the rear though. So far I have continued to drop my lap times by at least a second at every round so I'm waiting till I level out before I start playing with the setup again. How much do you weigh?

Doctor Chocolate

Been following you on YouTube for awhile- great vids keep it up!

Picked up a CUP bike late this past season and hopefully joining a few AFM rounds and maybe WERA @ BW next season. Do you ride anything north of BW?

Thanks Matt! I've never ridden north of BW but I've been dying to come up and make one of the AFM rounds at Infineon. Hopefully one of these days you can make it out to Chuckwalla. It's a long drive but the track is awesome, the grids are huge, and the level of competition is insane.

unicorn_violence

I am racing my RC with MCRA in the midwest. You can check out my videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/gr33nbr3adracing and my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gr33nbr3adracing/

14692124_1522530367774168_8645890827854536883_o.jpg

there goes green_bread showing off his bow drag again..:p making me jealous!

i race in the MRA out in Colorado. pretty competitive class, but i managed to get as a far as 6th place during the season. you need to take a road trip out here next summer, as the CVMA license will work at our races. i think the same goes with you Green_bread!

lT9NqEp.jpg

F3TtXPl.jpg

I160Gbh.jpg

green_bread

Country flag
I'll give it some thought, for sure. Just depends on if I can afford a long trip as well as a race weekend. Haha. MCRA is running less events next year and that frees up some time, but I'm already planning to try and run some CMRA and TrackAddix races next year, too. :)

EnergyHOU

I'll give it some thought, for sure. Just depends on if I can afford a long trip as well as a race weekend. Haha. MCRA is running less events next year and that frees up some time, but I'm already planning to try and run some CMRA and TrackAddix races next year, too. :)

Green if you end up wanting to run a CMRA or two PM me, we're starting up a team for 2017 ULW endurance and sprints. Definitely putting you on sprints! Ha

green_bread

Country flag
Green if you end up wanting to run a CMRA or two PM me, we're starting up a team for 2017 ULW endurance and sprints. Definitely putting you on sprints! Ha

Definitely interested. I was trying to get on a team with Drew Jankord to run endurance on a Ninja 300 last year but that fell through. Shoot me some details about it but I'm most likely down to race with you :)