Backup camera

Ryanthegreat1

At first read I thought this was a silly idea but after thinking more about it I think it is cool.

No ugly mirrors that are worthless. Less areo drag. Possibly lighter over all.

Would be the business if you could add a front camera as well and have it record video with a date and time stamp. Maybe add in GPS for speed and direction. Would be great for personal protection.

RC390 Fan

Now we're getting somewhere. I've been thinking about it too and it would be tough on the rc390 with the lack of space for a monitor (maybe integrated into or in place of the mirrors?) but, looking fwd to the future, the speedo display could be dual function; press a button on the bar to toggle between speed/rpm data and rear view. Pretty simple. But as mentioned, you'd need a bright screen for daytime riding.

b0Xcrash

A small magnetic tank bag or screen bag/cover would have done the trick if the tank was not a plastic cover. Or maybe using the screws for the filler cap to create some kind of bracket you could slide in a mount with the screen attached to? Slide it in, or snap it in, and then slide it off or unlatch it so you can fill up?

Should be able to keep it low profile enough to still tuck nicely.

b0Xcrash

Or maybe create or fabricate or use an existing GPS or phone car mount to make something that mounts on the top triple in the middle over the head stem/yolk.
Or tray that it mounts to strapped down like this...........

ktm_thing0.jpg

I realize that is not a flat surface, but if fabricated and mounted correctly it could work

Last edited:

grenade

What do you care? Somebody recently posted a comment over in another thread about how whenever someone throws an unconventional idea out there some people jump on them about wanting to do something weird. If you want to contribute or encourage someone to have some fun, please do so, but there's no need to ridicule something you think isn't credible or worthwhile.

Relax. Your squeezing the bars too tight.

green_bread

Country flag
Would the racing bubble windscreen give enough room above the cluster to mount the screen?

Im not sure, but I honestly kind of doubt it. Ill take a look at DCMoney's bike this weekend and see how much room the racing screen frees up above the cluster.

Or maybe create or fabricate or use an existing GPS or phone car mount to make something that mounts on the top triple in the middle over the head stem/yolk.
Or tray that it mounts to strapped down like this...........

Really, I think the best idea for visibility would just be to Velcro the screen to the fairing stay/cluster surround next to the gauge cluster.

Arahant

Country flag
I think its not a bad idea if you were going to do this to also hardwire in a front camera... have both feeds save the video to a HDD... as someone else said it would be good for protection on the roads... all sorts of stuff going on and you never know when you'll need some video proof that someone cut you off or road raged on you or whatever.

I think the people who think this is a silly idea must have different mirrors then me, cause I can't see anything unless I'm in a tuck on those mirrors, if I want to see through my mirrors I have to lift my arms and look under them or cock my head to the side which is very unnatural and distracting.

I think the bar end mirrors don't look very good, no offence to those who have them just my personal taste. I also like to keep my width as small as possible to fit between stuff.

The only problem I see with the backup camera and screen is where do you put the screen, there is a definately not enough room in between gauges and screen, I'v thought about putting a tachometer there and there is like 1" of room. I just got the race bubble in the mail have yet to install it but I'll take some pictures of the space tomorrow if I can get it installed. I know you can get GPS mounts specifically for the RC390, I ordered one from KTM performance, I think its a KTM part. I havn't installed that either, but its possible if you didn't need GPS you could mount it on there, or I wonder if there could be a way you could have a screen where a button cycles through functions like GPS, backup camera... phone stuff... if the "screen" was more of a tablet, that could also serve as the HDD for the video storage... or something along those lines.

Definately some interesting possibilities...

aj@x

You could use a ram mount for your phone and use the phone for both GPS and also for the viewer of the camera. I have a camera called the SJ4000 (very similar to a gopro) that supports liveview wireless streaming to your phone. Obviously you can have one camera mounted on the front of the bike and one on the rear with the rear wireless live viewing to the smartphone. The camera continues to record to micro sd whilst in live view mode and also has a car dashcam mode so it initialises with ignition and can record in different length time loops of your choice. You can then flick between live view, gps and what ever else on your phone using your phones multitask function providing you will all this functionality with only the one smartphone screen to find a location for on the bike, you also have the added security of being able to take the phone with you easily when your bike is parked.

Last edited:

mrgene13

Just installed a wireless backup camera off Amazon that casts onto my phone. Haven't had a chance to ride with it yet, but if anyone is interested I'll do a follow-up post.
2492cc45593be4932fcc058d9e505beb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mrgene13

I did a quick test video. Sorry if the orientation is off, I couldn't figure out how to change the video format so I used a screen recording app.

https://youtu.be/kYJC9bBiR50

It's pretty cool, super wide angle view. Awesome picture quality, but I think the frames per second is limited so it's a little choppy.

John390

HA------LELEUJA!!!!

I made a post about this a few weeks back and it went no where. Glad to see people working on it

For those who don't get it, its really simple. In your car you have side view mirrors AND a rear view mirror. You'd get pulled over and ticketed if you don't have a rear view mirror, or if you block it with cargo(unless its a cube van etc). Cars are mandated to have it. If you think you can see everything with just your side view ones, go tape over them and drive for a week or more in traffic.

Bikes don't have a rear view mirror, they only have side view mirrors. And on our bikes, as great as they are, the mirrors are partially blocked by the riders arms. I'd love to just be able to glance at a rear view mirror instead of swivel my head around, remove an arm from a bar to see clearly or any other of the contortions one needs to do in order to safely see whats happening in busy traffic. Not to mention if you are riding in a group and don't want to loose touch with those behind you. Also, the time you take away from looking forward can be downright deadly. If you can limit that time and mental concentration lost to less than a second at a time, your chances of having an accident go down drastically.

As for the cameras themselves, I haven't decided yet.

There is the Mobius one, and its reasonably priced, has some accessories like longer camera cables, different lenses etc. My only concern with that one is that you have to run power to the camera itself, AND run signal to a monitor or smart phone up front. more complicated than I'd like. I also don't like that when you switch to the remote cable for the lense you have an open hole in the case. The positives are that its fully moddable on purpose, and that the lense when on the remote cable is very small. I was thinking of drilling a hole in my rear seat foam and having it poke out the back, nearly invisibly. mount the little electronics under the rear seat. Power it from the tail lights. Only runs when the key is on.

There is another setup from a company called ELP who have TONS of different options all the way up to 5mp 60fps HD cameras with all sorts of lense options and physical mounting. These ones are fully powered by USB, so all you'd have to do is run the usb chord up from to your smart phone and plug it in. And mount the camera thing in the rear. My only concern on these ones is that they don't come with a remote camera(on a cable) but are firmly connected to the circuit board, or in an enclosure. not big by any means, but definitely not able to hide it like I would do with the Mobius one.

I am intruged by the one mrgen13 has shown us. If that was a bit smoother video, I'd be all over it. The camera size isn't ideal, but its is pretty small.

I'd be willing to spend up to $150 for the perfect setup. In fact I'd rather it was NOT using its own monitor, as I'd like to use my old phone that still works great. That way if something happened to it, no big deal. And I could use my current one if need be.

mrgene13

If John390 or anyone else is interested here is the model for the camera.:

Fumei HD 720p WiFi Camera Wireless Backup Camera

It's currently out of stock, but I see other similar cameras with the same specs badged with a different name.

I specifically choose this one because it's wireless up to 20m. I spliced it into the rear brake light so it only turns on when the ignition is on. I didn't really see a need for a remote since my phone is mounted on a Ram mount on the stem nut position. I'm also going keep it on recording mode when I'm riding just in case.