Bellypan showdown

SneakyOwl

When I bought my RC390, I specifically asked for a brand new 2015 model, not a 2016 (even when I could get gone).
The reason for this was that I much preferred the 2015 underbody exhaust. Now I knew I would swap out the stock exhaust at some point anyways, and so I have been set on the Werkes exhaust for a while.

I have started getting second thoughts tho, as the Werkes exhaust albeit really nice looking might be a bit too loud compared to a sidemounted Arrow exhaust or the likes.

So here's the deal:

Does anyone know if the 2016 bellypan can be retrofitted to a 2015 model? The 2016 bellypan seems to be a separate fairing piece, even though it might not look like that in some pictures.
Or should I just go for the cup bellypan? I think I dig the sharper lines of the 2016 one more.

This is probably super-minor, but the 2016 bellypan also have ventilation holes in front like the stock 2015 bellypan, which I would assume helps cool the engine, compared to the cup bellypan which does not have these holes.
aFZQFCn.png

Comparison pictures:
RC390 2015:
062415middle.jpg

RC390 2016:
KTM-RC-390-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

RC390 Cup Bellypan:
RC-390-Cup.jpg

Feel free to chime in with personal opinion on looks as well.

Last edited:

stevieboy

Country flag
I thought the 2016's ended up identical to the 2015's except for the mirrors? They did at my dealer anyway.

SneakyOwl

I thought the 2016's ended up identical to the 2015's except for the mirrors? They did at my dealer anyway.

I think the differences in exhaust only applies for the European models due to emission laws etc. Just look at what Ducati had to do with their delicious Paniagale 899 with the new 2016 model Panigale 959. Ugly as hell sidemounted exhaust...

SBK-899-Panigale_2014_Studio_W_C01-Bip_1920x1080.mediagallery_output_image_%5B1920x1080%5D%20(1).png

2016-Ducati-959-Panigale-29.jpg

stevieboy

Country flag
I think the differences in exhaust only applies for the European models due to emission laws etc. Just look at what Ducati had to do with their delicious Paniagale 899 with the new 2016 model Panigale 959. Ugly as hell sidemounted exhaust...

SBK-899-Panigale_2014_Studio_W_C01-Bip_1920x1080.mediagallery_output_image_%5B1920x1080%5D%20(1).png

2016-Ducati-959-Panigale-29.jpg

YIPES! Not nice!

jjtard

I bought a 2016...it has 2015 exhaust still with same belly pan,,,,but does come with the slipper clutch!!!

Euro version gets the side exit exhaust, slipper clutch, and 320mm rotor.

jjtard

"The most significant update on the 2016 RC390 is the slipper clutch, which will no doubt enhance the track-focussed capabilities of the RC390. It is to be noted that a slipper clutch was introduced on the KTM Duke 390 in India for the 2015 model year."

Plus my dealer has told me more than twice that is does have a slipper. I haven't taken case cover off to look, but I will say it works like a slipper clutch...unless it's the best clutch I've ever felt!!!! Thing will slide rear wheel just like a slipper...

tecknojoe

Country flag
In what way does a slipper make the rear wheel slide? and how does the clutch "feel"?

Last edited:

jjtard

...man, you small cc bike forums are tuff on peeps :p.....Ok so I've had many a slipper and they all feel the same. If you have never riden with a slipper it's hard to describe. Rear wheel will slide instead of chattering on heavy downshifts.

stevieboy

Country flag
The rear wheel doesn't really slide. The back torque is limited by the ramps and ball bearings allowing the tire to spin up to the RPM load without sliding. Your dealer is full of it. I had a Yoyodyne on my 2007 Yamaha R6's' so I understand how they work/feel. The U.S. bikes do not come with a slipper clutch as stock equipment.

simpletty

Country flag
i lost my slipper at the stroke of midnight at the charity ball. Still hoping my prince will find me.....well princess actually

cornerslider

I used to ride Supermoto with a slipper clutch. I REALLY wish my RC had one, but I know that my 2016 RC390 (USA version) does not have a slipper clutch..... I do however, believe that the European version comes with a slipper, but here in the USA, we get the leftovers. I also heard rumors of "ride-by-wire" for 2016 (which USA didn't get)....... I think that KTM needs to do a much better job of getting information out CORRECTLY, or not at all? I ordered my bike last September. I had no idea what I was actually getting until I physically picked my bike up from the dealer (in mid-May 2016). I think I'm okay not having the "ride-by-wire". I like having a throttle cable that's directly connected to the throttle body. Given all the "Gremlins" this bike seems to have (for some owners), I think- K.I.S.S.- (keep-it-simple-stupid)..... That being said- I love my RC, and could not be happier with any other bike in it's class- :cool:

I have been on this Forum since January 2015 and to be totally honest to Simpletty and Stevieboy both of you guys are the most negative posters - So maybe jjtard is incorrect with the information he was given regarding the slipper clutch !!! But you take this as an opportunity
to hammer the guy - I think jjtards statement is very correct, Quote "Man you small cc bike forums are tuff on peps" come on it is a Forum regarding a bike we have a passion for - so maybe lets be helpful and keep the ol ego out of it - my 2 cents worth and I am sure there are others on here who cringe at both your guys posts - think about it

jjtard

No worries...I'm sorta old and don't "do" forums that much anyway:p
I've raced alot of shit, even mini (RS50), and forget how forgiving little bikes can be!!! She sure felt like a slipper, handles slides really well for a bike of this caliber.

Sorry, speaking of proper forum tech....is this all somehow related to "Belly Pan" post??? :rolleyes:

tecknojoe

Country flag
...first bike with ABS also. Could that be what I thought felt like a slipper clutch?

That's possible. I was just being skeptical about the new ones having a slipper. You'd really only notice it if you suddenly drop a few gears and dump the clutch, if it doesn't step out on you too much it might have a slipper. Otherwise, you'll feel it lock up and you'll be looking for a clean pair of shorts when you're done riding.

jjtard

That's possible. I was just being skeptical about the new ones having a slipper. You'd really only notice it if you suddenly drop a few gears and dump the clutch, if it doesn't step out on you too much it might have a slipper. Otherwise, you'll feel it lock up and you'll be looking for a clean pair of shorts when you're done riding.

Ha...right about new shorts!!! I've ridden so long I had to become good with 'the brake-blip' tech,,,,I feel all this modern tech is taking away from the, once required riding skills:rolleyes: