Bike suddenly got louder

Fasteddy

Country flag
..... With all the metal that's been shed into that motor so far, there's no reason to pretend it's gonna have anything near the expected lifespan at this point either. Sigh.

You are correct,:( I would take the Vegas odds on the big end connecting rod bearing / main bearings, both 'plane' style as being the loss of oil pressure on warm up, They should have been over nighting a crate motor....

At this point I would agree with the replacement route.

ratlab

A replacement that didn't have issues would be fine. Plus, the 2016's appear to have a 2-year/24,000 mile warranty based on other posts on this forum. There's nothing else new in it's price range that interest me nearly as much ...maybe the R3 in a pinch but, didn't just get a recall for snapping triples?

The was supposed to be my primary bike but, this particular one can't seem to do the job and there's no reason to assume that's gonna change in the next few weeks. With all the metal that's been shed into that motor so far, there's no reason to pretend it's gonna have anything near the expected lifespan at this point either. Sigh.

triples,clutch pressure plate and oil pump-
i have 2 R3's and the recalls were handled very fast and i don't see any problems down the road.ran fine before the recall and they will be fine after.R3 needs a little work to be fun,needs the rear raised with a adjustable shock,front forks are decent stock,but i upgraded anyway.every bit as fun as the Rc390,but i don't worry about getting stuck somewhere and i don't ride it with one eye glued to the temp gauge.easier to ride on the track also.

ToraTora

Country flag
Personally I don't see recalls as a bad thing. The manufacturer found out about something, fixed it, and then made sure everyone got the fix. That's a very good thing. We are humans and we fuck up all the time. It's what you do about the fuck ups that matter, and in the case of a recall that's what you want. So good show Yamaha!

Rick--your bike has been in the shop for over 30 days. That triggers the lemon. Get a new one. It really is that simple. You'll probably have to fight for it, but dood you are a Californian. We don't have to put up with this sort of crap. Get a new bike.

rick

Yeah, I think that's probably the best course of action at this point. :(
Thanks everyone!

I'll keep updating this thread to document it and for those that are curious.

rick

I called KTM North America and after about 5 minutes on hold it redirected me into voicemail.

I said that the bike has been broken down for 122 days since I bought it, we were up to 30 days and twice to the dealer on the most recent issue, and that it was time to start figuring out a path forward in terms of a buy back or replacement. :(

In the past they've returned my call pretty quickly (less than 30 minutes) but, I can imagine that it could take longer this time.

rick

Emailed Debbie at the California Lemon Law Group this morning. She said that I should give KTM 30 days to respond for my request of a buy back before they get involved so, that's August 19th. In the meantime I should continue pestering them via telephone. So, I called KTM North America and got voice mail again. I reiterated that I would like a buy back and commented that they seem to have stopped returning my phone calls.

stevieboy

Country flag
Awww c'mon. The bike isn't that bad or so they say. After all its just a cheap (?) beginner bike that you shouldn't expect much from.

ToraTora

Country flag
Have you gone to the dealer where you bought it? I would get them on your side as they will have some pull too.

ToraTora

Country flag
Awww c'mon. The bike isn't that bad or so they say. After all its just a cheap (?) beginner bike that you shouldn't expect much from.

In Rick's case it's different. The bike has spent nearly a 1/2 year in the shop. Beginner bike or not (which I would debate that it's not) that's unacceptable. And thankfully for Rick California law agrees with that position. :p

rick

Right? Some people have had no trouble with theirs so, it's just a quality control issue in theory.
I've been trying to decide what I'd do if I get a buy back and purchasing a 2016 RC390 with it's 2-year warranty is not off the table. :)

ToraTora

Country flag
Yeah you probably got one of those Monday bikes that was built by a team with a serious hangover syndrome going on. lolz

Really if you like the bike just get another one. If that one goes bonkers well then I'd consider getting something else, but it's likely to be sorted. That's the main reason for getting a 2016--more likely to have been sorted. This stuff is all designed and built by humans and we are far from perfect, so there will be times when things are wonky. As long as KTM takes care of you then it will be okay. I think what Yamaha is doing is the right way to go. I give them major props for finding and fixing the issues they've had. That's much preferred to the way some of the Auto makers have treated inexpensive issues like a weak spring in an ignition.

The thing is though at this point in time there are no real alternatives. The Japanese bikes really don't carry the same feature set as the KTM. Really my 2000 Derbi has a better feature set than the current Japanese bikes, and it's only a 50! The 2005 Derbi came with an aluminum twin spar frame, aluminum swing arm, radial brakes, inverted forks, braided lines. The 2016 Japanese bikes don't have any of those features. They aren't bad bikes but they sure has hell don't do a good job of representing 2016.

rick

Mike Cooper from KTM North America finally called back and left me a message. He said that the dealer is gonna try replacing the entire dash now to address the Low Oil Pressure warning issue. He also said that apparently we need to talk and asked me to call him today between 8 and 5 Pacific Time. The Google says he's the Manager of Customer Service and Programs at KTM North America, Inc. FWIW.

rick

I spoke to Mike Cooper at KTM North America for about 20 minutes last night. It was weird.

I naively thought that he was going to apologize and ask what they could do for me with a simple statement of facts: it's been broken down 125/298 days (41.9%), left me stranded multiple times and I would like a buy back.

He seemed completely unimpressed with how many days it's been broken down so, I took a different approach emphasizing how unsafe it's been mainly focusing on the Head Gasket Failure that left me sitting on top of the K-Wall on the freeway until the CHP blocked traffic and I was able to run to safety. That didn't interest him either so, I tried talking about how much excessive wear it's been through and how even if it was to suddenly be trouble free it still wouldn't have a normal lifespan. Nothing.

It wasn't until I hung up that I realized he never agreed or even grunted in agreement with a single thing I said. It was like he was following some sort of corporate policy or legal roadmap that only he could see and was meticulously keeping him from saying certain things or words but, also pushing hard for me to say some specific key words.

He offered me a warranty extension twice and, strangely, a new piston once. The only emotion he expressed was when I continually asked for a buy back. He seemed to get angry and say things like, "Do you want to get legal involved?" I said that I didn't know what he meant by that but he wouldn't explain. Clearly he wanted me to keep that bike but wasn't willing to offer anything to address any of my concerns.

He concluded the call by saying that if I wouldn't stay on the bike then it would have to go to KTM's legal department and that it would be a much longer process and that I'd be hearing from them (or him?) next. Not that he was ever rude - it was just weird.

rick

Yeah, clearly a company man first. I gotta remember that in cases like this, "Customer Service Manager" is not your friend - they're purpose is to defend the company against you ...kind of like Human Resources. :p

I wonder why he seemed upset about "legal" too. His focus seemed to be on how much longer it would take, I'm guessing versus resolving everything with a warranty extension on that phone call? Maybe he wanted me to be panic about how long it will take? What's more time on a bike that spends most of it's time in the shop at this point? It's not like I get to ride it anyway - It's still in the shop. 33 days now on this issue.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Another perspective to consider would be what issues / resolution they dealt with on the Austrian made line in the past compared to what they are now having to deal with on the Bajaj built machines.

Treachery

Country flag
It sounds like you're going to have to get your "legal department" involved; that may mean the state Atty. General's consumer affairs department.

A new engine​ and extended warranty might be enough...

rick

A new engine​ and extended warranty might be enough...
It seems, I have to pick one thing that I want and commit to it. KTM had no interest in discussing a range of possibilities. So, I committed to the buy-back. I figure that it gives me the most options going forward: I can roll the dice on a 2016 RC390 with it's two year warranty or I can get something else.

In my extremely limited lawyer experience, after your initial consultation the lawyer will give you a list of things to do, sort of getting your ducks in a row thing. It's not like you kick back while they handle it - you have to work at it too. One of the things to do was to give KTM 30 days to respond to my buy-back request. So, I'm in a legal hold for that 30 days unless they say, "No." Then things will escalate. Apparently the fact that it's being reviewed by KTM's legal department means that we're making "good progress". ...or something. :)