"Brand New Engine" they said. But the serial # never changed??

harpo

So my engine gave out a while back and my dealership said KTM would give me a brand new engine and cover all repairs even though I was a month out of warranty.

I realized the serial sticker on the right side was peeled off recently. It was odd so I checked my delivery certificate and the engine number matches the one that's etched into the metal on the left side. I called the dealership and they say that's how it is.

"They send the cases blank, and then we gotta punch the numbers in."

I can't help but to smell something fishy here.

If someone knows how this works please enlighten me. I have a bad feeling that my engine was never actually replaced.

Last edited:

rompus

I guess my thought is what does it matter? As long as you have a good running engine fixed out of warranty I would be thankful for that. From what I have seen on the forums some of these dealers can be tough to work with, sounds like you have a good one.

isaac_

As long as the cases are intact, you can just replace all the internals. Yes it's a cost saving method. Ask for an itemized list of all they replaced. I get wanting a brand new motor, but what exactly does the warranty cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rompus

Boy now I am confused. So the engine failure and your fishtail are two different incidents? How is one related to the other? Sorry about your crash by the way. I would certainly say that with that kind of damage rebuilding the engine would not be cost effective. That being said why wouldn't KTMf just put the numbers on at the factory? The dealer could just give them the old serial numbers.

rompus

Gotcha good luck and enjoy the new (or rebuilt) engine. These engine problems concern me, engine seizure is a disaster if it happens at the wrong time.

harpo

Gotcha good luck and enjoy the new (or rebuilt) engine. These engine problems concern me, engine seizure is a disaster if it happens at the wrong time.

Too bad it's shot again. New or rebuilt, it ain't working anymore. I highly suspect it's rebuilt because the same thing happened, and w/ injury the this time. I was taking pictures of the damage when I saw the serial number sticker peeled off and that's when I first became sus.