can i change to H rated tyres from W rated ones

vijaychauhan46

Country flag
HI
I am in a bit of dilemma, if anyone can help me out, that would be great, so my 2015 KTM RC 390 came stock with Metzeler M5 sportec Interact 110/70-17 54W fron and 150/70-17 66w Rear, now the bike has done above 10K and tyre needs to be replaced also a track day is approaching and i doubt i'd be allowed with these tyres on the track, so i was looking for some tyres and i have zeroed in on three tyres
1. Metzeler M5 which came stock on my bike
2. Metzeler M5 stock size but speed rating as 54H and 66 H front and rear
3. Pirelli Diablo Ross II stock size with H speed rating.

Now as you are aware H rating corresponds to 210Kmph and W to 270 KMPH, our bikes are fast but not 270kmph fast, so is there any other effect if i switch speed ratings, i mostly use my bikes on highway rides and occasional track days, would it be wise to switch to a tyre with H speed rating or should i stick with stock speed rating, which one will last longer.

Thanks in advance:)

Diploman

As long as you don't exceed 210 kph (~130 mph) H-rated tires should be safe to use on your 390. W-rated tires seem a major overkill for a bike whose top speed is around 175 kph. For normal street usage H-rated tires are what you would use for a lightweight, moderately-powered bike like the 390,