checking the chain tightness

micah360

In the manual, it says that to check the tension of the chain, the upper chain section must be taut when you check the play on the lower section. So does that mean that you push up on the upper chain section until it's tight, hold it tight, and then check the play on the bottom section? When I do that, then I have around .25" play, which is in spec per the manual. But when I check the play in the lower chain section without touching the upper chain section, then there is a 1" play in the chain.

Does this sound right?

I've always checked the play in chains by just pressing up on the lower chain section and not touching the upper chain section when I'm doing it.

By the way, I measured this with the bike on a rear stand with the rear tire off the ground. I don't know if that matters that much, but the manual says to check it with the bike on the side stand. I will check it on the side stand and compare tomorrow (but I think it will be the same).

qxt0mu.jpg

Bagwell

Country flag
what they mean is that the slack be pulled out between the front and rear sprocket on that section of chain. They want you to measure the slack of both parts of chain collected together on the same section. Lets say you have the bike on the side stand, if you were to put the bike in gear while the bike is turned off and then you roll the bike slightly backwards to tighten the top section of chain between sprockets this would leave all the slack in the chain on the bottom section of chain to check the total slack in one place.

micah360

So I think I got this figured out... as I study this page more (and looking at diagram A) it looks like you're supposed to measure the distance between the top of the chain and the bottom of the swing arm and look for the 5-7mm as the space between. That would make way more sense than having only 5-7mm of play in the chain. That is way to tight.

Ryanthegreat1

So I think I got this figured out... as I study this page more (and looking at diagram A) it looks like you're supposed to measure the distance between the top of the chain and the bottom of the swing arm and look for the 5-7mm as the space between. That would make way more sense than having only 5-7mm of play in the chain. That is way to tight.

I think you are correct. 5-7mm of deflection would be way too little!

rick

Ah, that may explain it.
I did the break-in service this weekend and couldn't believe that 5-7mm so, I ended up setting it for a more common 20-30mm of chain deflection. I'll have to recheck that tonight. Measuring by the gap between the chain and the swingarm instead sounds kind of easy - I like it.

treckin

I set it exactly as described in the manual and it was way too tight - I experienced surging until backing it out a bit.