Did i stick it in the wrong hole?

guyrichi247

As the title says! Lol, this is to do with oil.

I filled the oil up after draining it but funnelling it into the hole on the same side as the oil drain plugs.

I then went to put the right hand fairing on and noticed the oil fill hole was actually on the other side.

Will this be ok?

I need to leave for work soon so hopefully one of you guys can help me soon :)

stevieboy

Country flag
Usually someone will let you know right away if you are putting it in the wrong hole. The oil fill is on the same side as the sight glass and the oil filter. Sitting on the bike this would be the right hand side.

Old3

Country flag
I guess you used the chrome allen head cap? Check the sight glass, it should show oil and be fine.

guyrichi247

Yea i did use that cap lol. On my old bike that was where the oil fill was, I now see on this bike its on the right hand side. Thanks for your advice, im gonna see if i can drain it off and refill on the correct side.

I just spoke to my local KTM mechanic and he said oil does go in there but it is meant to start in the right hand side and be pumped there.

The oil outlet on the left hand side (wrong side) is very small so oil wont get to the rest of the engine quickly enough to keep it lubricated - I would have to wait for that trickle of oil to start making its way back to the beginning in the right hand side (correct side) before it gets to the other parts of the engine.

Hopefully my silly mistake will help someone else save themselves a lot of time and potentially damage to their engine!