dismantling an RC

isaac_

Has anyone taken their bike apart down to the frame? This is a foolish idea and there's no reasonable excuse to do so... other than the orange clashes with my team's race colors (yellow/black). Just wondering how much of a pain it is.

isaac_

Whoa. Dunno if you'll do it; pretty sure I wouldn't but I'd be all in for pix.
I'm very tempted! That said, my race season starts 4/23, and I can only work on the bike on the weekends. So I'd have to strip it down in 1/2 a day, get the frame to my painter, get it back the following weekend, assemble, get bike to the dyno, assemble other misc. pieces.... i'm not 100% certain it can be done in time. Especially since I know I'm bound to screw something up!

Andy

Country flag
It's a KTM, how dare you dislike the orange frame!

Having said that i do like the look of lump yellow on the Husky RC250R, the gun metal of Leopard KTMs (last season) and there a KTM in Helstar that's got a green frame.

isaac_

https://www.facebook.com/cleanrided...pcb.1850201068528874/1850196608529320/?type=3

One of the members here did it because the frame colour clashed with his vision.
I'm digging the red. That's a great color. Reminds me of a triumph I saw.
It's a KTM, how dare you dislike the orange frame!

Having said that i do like the look of lump yellow on the Husky RC250R, the gun metal of Leopard KTMs (last season) and there a KTM in Helstar that's got a green frame.

Oh the leopard gun metal is nice.

Initially I was thinking yellow but after seeing it photoshopped I am partial to red (as above), white (but would be get too dirtyquickly on a race bike) or black. There are other great accent colors but none I can see going with black and yellow.

I found this on the webs.

RC390 Recolours - Album on Imgur

Muckabucka

Country flag
It's not too bad, and a great opportunity to evaluate if you really need something on the bike. Search my threads for teardown pics.

Andy

Country flag
The only thing i do notice on the stock colours is perhaps too much orange, black wheels would look better although stock black wheels only come on 125s (Duke/RC) and not sure on compatibility.

isaac_

The only thing i do notice on the stock colours is perhaps too much orange, black wheels would look better although stock black wheels only come on 125s (Duke/RC) and not sure on compatibility.

Blasting + Powder coating is not a difficult task. Buddy is able to do that job for me.

EdL

It's not too bad. I'm almost down to the frame. One weekend will do it (just the tear down).
Although, I must agree with above ... I really like the orange.

20170313_195230.jpg

isaac_

So I spent a couple of hours with the bike. And in that time:

1) I dremeled out the three screws holding the rear wheel speed spensor
2) I dremeled out the bolt holding the chain guide/cover
3) Oh yea, had the bike fall on the forks... FROM the front stand. Thing just slid out. It was a bit slow motion..
4) removed the tank... how do they expect you to work in 1 cubic inch space? I swear these austrians are worse than the japenese
5) got so fed up i went inside.

So, given my experience with this. the frame will *not* be painted. at least not this season when i'm in a rush.