Dragging side exhausts?

tecknojoe

Country flag
After modifying your suspension, are you guys still dragging your exhausts?

I have an akra coming, as well as a JRI shock and fork overhaul. I'd like to know before I drag the new exhaust, so I can have someone create a custom midpipe if needed.

Are the cup guys having this problem with the akra + full WP?

Last edited:

micahpearlman

I have the rear height maxed out with a Penske. The only thing I hit now is the race PP belly pan. I would like to lower the rear because now I have issues with the rear coming up on heavy braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArkansasDave

I have the rear height maxed out with a Penske. The only thing I hit now is the race PP belly pan. I would like to lower the rear because now I have issues with the rear coming up on heavy braking.

Have you tried raising the front or adding more preload to the front?

micahpearlman

Have you tried raising the front or adding more preload to the front?

Yeah, I'm still messing about with setup. Adding preload and playing with oil levels up front helped a little with the braking but then front doesn't "dig" or "settle" in early and mid-corner the way I want -- adding rebound helps that a bit -- but all too a point. My style has always been to brake a bit early and carry a ton of corner speed, so its not an issue if I'm just going for a fast lap and not racing with anyone. The issue of the rear coming up really only appears when I'm passing someone on the brakes and then things get a bit sketchy. Last race weekend there were a couple of instances when late braking passing where it was a split second from flipping over the front and had to let off the brakes to bring it back down.

micahpearlman

Yeah, I'm still messing about with setup. Adding preload and playing with oil levels up front helped a little with the braking but then front doesn't "dig" or "settle" in early and mid-corner the way I want -- adding rebound helps that a bit -- but all too a point. My style has always been to brake a bit early and carry a ton of corner speed, so its not an issue if I'm just going for a fast lap and not racing with anyone. The issue of the rear coming up really only appears when I'm passing someone on the brakes and then things get a bit sketchy. Last race weekend there were a couple of instances when late braking passing where it was a split second from flipping over the front and had to let off the brakes to bring it back down.

So to bring this back around to on topic. My preference would be to lower the whole center of gravity of the bike for better stability under braking but that is limited by the ground clearance of the Akra exhaust.

Last edited:

tecknojoe

Country flag
Bummer. I'm undecided as to whether or not I want to build a custom midpipe for a high mount....

the dealer just called and said the akra is in. No rush anyway, I'm gonna wait 'till I get to 600 miles and get the stock setup on the dyno

micahpearlman

Bummer. I'm undecided as to whether or not I want to build a custom midpipe for a high mount....

the dealer just called and said the akra is in. No rush anyway, I'm gonna wait 'till I get to 600 miles and get the stock setup on the dyno

I wouldn't trip too hard. It is what it is. I haven't heard anyone else complaining so it may just be me. Though if I was to do it again knowing what I know I would consider the under seat Yoshimura pipe.

KTMGene390

After modifying your suspension, are you guys still dragging your exhausts?

I have an akra coming, as well as a JRI shock and fork overhaul. I'd like to know before I drag the new exhaust, so I can have someone create a custom midpipe if needed.

Are the cup guys having this problem with the akra + full WP?

One way to gain a little ground clearance is to mount the Akrapovic slip-on exhaust as shown though the instructions will tell you otherwise. The expansion chamber will be close to touching the backside of the swing arm with the suspension fully extended so be careful not to mount it too far back and you must account for heat expansion. The midpipe will also come close to touching the bottom of the swing arm when the rear shock is fully extended. The pipe will look normal when mounted this way so don't worry about any funny looks.

Last edited:

tecknojoe

Country flag
One way to gain a little ground clearance is to mount the Akrapovic slip-on exhaust as shown though the instructions will tell you otherwise. The expansion chamber will be close to touching the backside of the swing arm with the suspension fully extended so be careful not to mount it too far back and you must account for heat expansion. The midpipe will also come close to touching the bottom of the swing arm when the rear shock is fully extended. The pipe will look normal when mounted this way so don't worry about any funny looks.

I haven't looked at the instructions yet, but it's kinda hard to tell what your pics are doing differently. Is it just turned a different direction to allow the pipe to raise a little higher?

KTMGene390

I haven't looked at the instructions yet, but it's kinda hard to tell what your pics are doing differently. Is it just turned a different direction to allow the pipe to raise a little higher?

It's mounted on the outside of the frame tab as opposed to the inside of the frame tab per instructions. Also if you look the collector pipe is pulled out a little leaving a gap where it mounts to the stock header pipe. This in effect pulls the whole system rearward much like rear sets. It also moves the exhaust canister and mid pipe a little bit higher.

Worth pointing out is that you want to set this up (if you have a shock adjustable for ride height) with it set at its highest ride height so you don't run into clearance issues later when you make adjustments.

Last edited:

Fasteddy

Country flag
I would think so the shop installed it and there are no leaks, I checked.

I was just PM'ing KTMGene390 to clarify something but here is our conversation.

KTMGene390 said:
Fasteddy said:
KTMGene390 said:
Fasteddy said:
KTMGene390 said:
Fasteddy said:
Just FWIW...So I just got done changing the graphite sleeve on my 990 SuperDuke last night, Same type of joint and similar clamp and it had the same black and burn marks at the relief points under the clamp. It may not 'seem' like it is leaking but your picture tells another story. Now I wish I would have taken pics of the SD pipe before I polished it, looked just like yours but worse cuz it was ran for awhile before I got it with leak. On the SD it is a common issue even with the Akra pipe and made worse when running lean.Ed
Interesting! I will check the clamp bolts as I have not done so since it was installed and it was running lean, very lean until about 500 miles ago when I mapped it using the Bazzaz Z-AFM.
I like the solution as far as getting some more clearance, but if you would have seen what I had and just got done repairing you would be wanting to have the step ring seen at the bottom of photo 1 all the way in as that is what the clamp should be tight against to seal the sleeve completely with out crushing it.I ended up replacing the clamp also because it had been over tightened with very little of the ring left to take up the space, also had to expand the female end of pipe, top of photo. If it gives you the benefit of ground clearance it would be worth doing a mod to one of the pipes to add the 3/4 or so of an inch more pipe welded in, it would be worth it in the long run.Later Ed
Adding 3/4 of an inch of pipe is a great idea! Thanks and you should post this info in the thread so everyone is aware. Or I can quote you and copy and paste if you like?