Engine crank drive gear

There is a gear on the RHS end of the crank that drives the clutch (primary gear) as well as the cam chain. According to one of the RC Cup racers this gear needs to be tightened regularly if the bike is being raced. Apparently, it comes from the factory with insufficient torque on the nut. If it backs off, the engine starts making a ticking sound before anything expensive happens. Drain the oil, pull off the RHS cover and the nut on the gear is right there ready for your socket and torque wrench. parillaguy

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
There is a gear on the RHS end of the crank that drives the clutch (primary gear) as well as the cam chain. According to one of the RC Cup racers this gear needs to be tightened regularly if the bike is being raced. Apparently, it comes from the factory with insufficient torque on the nut.

Hrmmmmmm. That sounds like a good candidate for an application of either Loctite Red 271 (NOT Red 262! Remember kiddies, not all "red" loctite is the same stuff!) or Blue 243.

Anybody got a manual handy (Mine STILL hasn't arrived) with the torque spec on it? That would be a better indicator as to which loctite to use... but if it's backing off even when torqued to spec, then that's gotta get some thread lock on it.

Ryanthegreat1

The manual for the Duke 390 calls for Loctite 243 and 120 Nm or 88.5 ft/lbs.

crank-nut.PNG

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The manual for the Duke 390 calls for Loctite 243 and 120 Nm or 88.5 ft/lbs.

crank-nut.PNG

And the flywheel bolt also calls for Loctite 243 and 75 Nm or 55.3 ft/lbs.

flywheel-bolt.PNG
OK, I figured Blue 243 would have likely been the better option anyway, given it's much better at oil resistance! :) Sounds like said racer either isn't using 243 or the spec on the 243 isn't sufficient. It should be pretty easy to tell if loctite was (or wasn't) used when initially assembled... if there's no residue there, it wasn't used!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
It would not shock me if the Loctite was forgotten at the factory given the level of quality control we are seeing. :rolleyes:

Yeah. The rumor I've heard is that the initial batch of bikes were delayed the two months because when the bikes arrived in Long Beach initial inspection showed SOOOOO many issues that the boys in Austria ordered them loaded right back into the containers and sent back to India for rework. Not that anyone in Mattighofen would EVER confirm that, but it WOULD explain a lot as to why the bikes status went from On Ship, In Port, Offloaded, In Port, On Ship... then completely disappeared for two months, with no word or explanation for the delay.

reenmachine

Country flag
Yeah. The rumor I've heard is that the initial batch of bikes were delayed the two months because when the bikes arrived in Long Beach initial inspection showed SOOOOO many issues that the boys in Austria ordered them loaded right back into the containers and sent back to India for rework. Not that anyone in Mattighofen would EVER confirm that, but it WOULD explain a lot as to why the bikes status went from On Ship, In Port, Offloaded, In Port, On Ship... then completely disappeared for two months, with no word or explanation for the delay.

Actually, I'm not saying this is the reason, but there was a massive strike at the port in Long Beach that stopped the flow of a lot of goods for months. There were things stuck there that I needed for work and they were just sitting in the container or wherever for ages.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Actually, I'm not saying this is the reason, but there was a massive strike at the port in Long Beach that stopped the flow of a lot of goods for months. There were things stuck there that I needed for work and they were just sitting in the container or wherever for ages.

I know about the strike. That wasn't it. I've brought two different big machines from China in through Long Beach in the last 5 months alone. A Laser Cutter in November and a Power Hammer in May. Both were LTL freight and had to even go through sorting even. Both did get slightly delayed. The laser about a week, the hammer only an extra day, but by and large the port is completely caught up from the strike as near as I can tell.

Ryanthegreat1

Well I took the time to check on this nut.

There might have been trace amounts of tread locker in there, it was not blue like Loctite 243. It was red/pink. My nut was on tight it probably would not have gone anywhere.

Here is before touching the nut. No traces of thread locker to be found on the outside.
IMG_20150701_143435.jpg

And here is the nut after spraying with some brake clean. Still no signs of thread locker.
IMG_20150701_143710.jpg

Here is the nut after spraying with brake clean and letting it air dry. You can just make out some pink stuff on the thread. The nut looks like hell, VERY rough machining probably low quality. Might be the reason for backing off.
IMG_20150701_144544.jpg

Here are the threads on the crank after getting a spray down. Again zero traces of thread locker.
IMG_20150701_144748.jpg

I will let you all make up your own minds. I like the piece of mind that the thread locker is installed and the nut is torqued properly. Might save me from cutting a track day short or leaving me stranded waiting for a tow.