First Service/Valve Check Price Please

OldVet

What did you pay for your first service/valve check :confused:

I got an astronomical quote from my dealer and would like to know what everyone else is charging please :confused:

Thanks...

stevieboy

Country flag
I am kind of dreading this too. My dealer has been very vague about it but not about his unhappiness with KTM service and warranty support.

motoputz

Country flag
Just over $600 for first service at the shop I bought the bike from. It will be the last time they touch the bike for non warranty work. They are a good shop but their hourly rate is more than $100 an hour.

OldVet

Thanks but I'm just not inclined to do the work myself, I'd rather ride it than work on it.

I'm still looking for a few that have had it done at a show and how much they were charged please.

OldVet

Just over $600 for first service at the shop I bought the bike from. It will be the last time they touch the bike for non warranty work. They are a good shop but their hourly rate is more than $100 an hour.

Thank's, even at that that is three to four hundred less than I was quoted...

Starxz

Country flag
I haven't done this yet (1100 miles on the bike now) for this specific reason. I was quoted $600-700 to get the whole first service done.

So I did all the oil and filters, coolant swap, and maintenance myself and forewent the valve check till I gain enough confidence to do it myself.

micah360

I just got my receipt out to check and I was $304.61 out the door. That was for the 600 mile service, including oil change and valve inspection.

Seth

Country flag
Right?! I would not have the patience to do the valve check AND keep taking pictures. I kinda felt bad that he had the click-it-e-clack after putting everything back together. THAT is why I would take it to the dealer. They would probably tear it down again and re-shim before handing it back to the customer.

Fasteddy

Country flag
FWIW,
Yes, it's a nice write up, but, I would take a more minimalist approach. there is no need to have the cams clear out.

I took pics as I went more for reference which still comes in handy. I did not drain the coolant and you can check the clearance of the exhaust from the middle toward the front so the radiator is not really an issue.

Measure everything 3 times, draw a chart out and write clearance before pulling cams loose, only take one shim out at a time, do not take cams all the way out, just move them out of the way and use a zip tie around each gear and chain so that they stay in time. re check clearances again before putting valve cover back on. Search back through threads for more hints and tips....

Here is the formula for calculating the shim adjustment.
SHIM CALC EXAMPLE:
Current Shim – (Clearance Spec – Actual Clearance) = Size of new shim
Here’s how our bike calculated: 2.10 – (.15 – .00) = 1.95mm

Here is my chart copied into my notes from my first re shim

VALVE CLR. AT 1ST SVC.
Spec. INT.=.10MM EXH.=.15MM +/-.002

front
L.E .11 R.E .13
L.I .09 R.I .095

NEW SHIMS ARE:
front
L.E 2.45 R.E 2.40
L.I 2.48 R.I 2.48

Seth

Country flag
Eddy your way sounds fantastic. Did you do a write up? I guess I could of searched but it is Friday and I feel like being lazy!

Sacape2

My local shop wanted $1100 parts and labor. I said eat dirt and did the oil myself and waiting for a moment that I have the spare time to do the valve clearances.