Front Caliper Rebuild...can it be done?

=maz=

Country flag
I have had a look at the parts list and tried searching the forums but I can not find any information on rebuilding the Front Caliper with O-rings and Pistons...this seems pretty strange to me and the Caliper is not cheap enough to be a throw-away item.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue please?

=maz=

Country flag
Ok...so I'm guessing that's a no. :(

Pretty sad that it can't be rebuilt...don't really see how that is a good thing.

Diploman

I seriously doubt that the ByBre calipers are not rebuildable. It would make no sense to discard a caliper for want of a seal (something like the old joke about the Saudi discarding his new Mercedes when the ash tray became full.) I think it is a matter of locating the replacement parts, which surely exist somewhere - most likely in India, where they are made. I suggest contacting some Indian KTM dealers with an inquiry. Maybe contact Bajaj. Perhaps there is an Indian member of this forum who would know this or who could find the answer.

Anyone ask Chad Wells?

Diploman

The KTM Spare Parts Finder does not list pistons or seals for the front caliper. However, every Brembo caliper I have seen or used has been easily rebuildable, and parts are readily available. Given that the ByBre caliper was designed by Brembo, it would make sense that they would design around internal components that already exist. Why re-invent something that already exists and works? I would be surprised if there is not a set of pistons and seals among Brembo's extensive repertoire of spares that fit the ByBre. I believe the pistons are 24mm.

=maz=

Country flag
Thank you for the reply Diploman...all leads I will try to follow up.

You reasoning, like mine, makes sense...not listing spare parts in the manual does not. :(

=maz=

Country flag
I have a extra front caliper if you need one.

Thanks mate...much appreciated.
What I want is the ability to rebuild the caliper when required...I still can not get my head around the idea that the manual does not provide part numbers and the caliper is a throw-away item(based on the unavailability of a rebuild kit/parts).

Edwardp33

Country flag
See photos working through this now. Each piston requires 2 seals. Some of the kits on eBay are single seals. A guy in India ordered a rebuild kit from Brembo.

https://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorc...0225-ktm-rc-390-ownership-experience-498.html

The KTM dealer said replace the caliper. If I find a good solution I will post it. Checking with Commonwealth. Chads wife is awesome. New Caliper from my local dealer is ~ $200

imagejpeg
imagejpeg
imagejpeg

Attachments

• 35447143-AF37-460E-A752-7AF0A861CDD8.jpg
    35447143-AF37-460E-A752-7AF0A861CDD8.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 50
  • C21D25E6-6AEC-4E8D-9DE6-C4655DA82529.jpg
    C21D25E6-6AEC-4E8D-9DE6-C4655DA82529.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 452

My bike has 22K miles on it with brake fluid flushed every 6 months due to mods/maintenance and works flawlessly.e How many miles are other people's calipers lasting?