Installing the Brembo RCS-15 Front Master Cylinder

Treachery

Country flag
I thought about some alternate titles, along the lines of "now I can stop" or "can you stop this?", but decided to play it straight. Well, except for a semi-funny OG story:

BMW introduced the first motorcycle with anti-lock brakes (ABS) in 1988. Long time BMW owners opined that "shoot, BMWs have had anti-lock brakes forever. Meaning-you couldn't lock BMW brakes up if you tried...

Anyway, before I bought the RC, I had read the complaints of some of the reviewers that the KTM brakes were less than stellar. Then early owners reported much the same. So, hoping to improve things from the get-go, I had my dealer get the wave rotor, and I ordered the first pair of Galfer pads (AFAIK) for the RC in the country. Those parts were installed before purchase. I also beta-ordered SpeedBleeders, so that I could address that possibility as soon as possible.

When I got the bike, the brakes were...fair. Got the Speedbleeders and bled them out, using better DOT4 fluid, and they were better. Oddly enough, they required a second bleed pretty quickly. Then they were decent. Not impressive, but decent. The bike didn't get ridden for part of the fall. When I went out for a ride in October, I suddenly channelled early BMW no-lock brakes: I got to the highway near where we live and was happy to get stopped! The brakes would "pump up," but had completely inadequate stopping power. So, now I was on a mission.

Reluctantly, I decided that I was going to bypass the ABS. I've had a number of bikes with ABS, and while I've never needed it, I've been glad it was there. OTOH, I've had sportbikes, and never missed those not having ABS. So, I ordered up a set of the Spiegler bypass lines from KTM Performance. At the same time, I determined that I was going to go all-in for good brakes, and based on my reading here and elsewhere, I ordered up the Brembo RCS-15 radial master cylinder, from Hard Racing. I'll talk about the lines in another thread.

HardRacing sells the RCS-15 as a kit. In addition to the master cylinder with folding lever, they will provide a brake light switch, and the reservoir kit (with hose, fasteners, and bracket), as well as a new banjo bolt of the proper size and sealing washers. IMO, you're probably better off getting the kit and saving yourself some steps. If you do the lines, the Speigler banjo bolts that are supplied are of the proper size. I didn't know that when I ordered, but the Brembo bolt is a nicer piece (although invisible when installed) than the KTM bolt.

As an aside, big ups to these two companies for supporting the forum and our bikes. They were creative enough to jump in and support a brand new bike, and I appreciated their help in this project.

So, I got the bits back in the late fall, and had to wait until I got a spring day to have the garage open to work. When I finally did...

Removing the stock MC isn't tough. Apologies that I didn't take pictures of this part of the process. Remove the right side bar-end weight. There are two screws that hold the clamshell around the throttle cable attachment. Remove those, and open the housing. There's just one cable; rotate the grip forward, and it'll come right out. Inside the lower half of the housing is a spacer with a pin that locates the housing on the bar. It will fall out, just don't lose it. You'll need to disconnect the brake light switch wires from the switch. On mine, I couldn't tell the polarity, because the wires are shrink-wrapped at the terminal. I don't know if it matters, but it's easy to tell. (PM me if you need help on that). You need to drain the reservoir, and (If you're doing the lines), get as much fluid as you can out of the line so it can't back up and get on your paint. If not, undo the banjo bolt and pull the hose as far vertical as you can; you can wrap it with a paper towel and rubber band it to avoid spillage. Now, IIRC there's either one or two clamping bolts. You don't need to remove them, just loosen them and slide the lever-MC assembly off. Seal the outlet off and put it aside.

The brake light switch snaps to the bottom of the RCS housing. As far as I can tell, it won't come back off... Attach that, and loosely slide the RCS onto the bar. The leads from the switch are longer than you need. IIRC, the terminals on the bike side are female flat spade lugs. But, they're a good bit narrower than standard 20GA (red insulator) terminals. I ground and thinned them down with a Dremel tool and grinding wheel. If you can find the proper size, good on ya. I eyeballed how much extra wire I wanted to leave, cut the leads to length and attached the terminals. I did not connect them at this point.

It was about this time that I discovered a problem: No matter how I angled the lever, I had contact with the windscreen before full left lock.

Brembo_RaceScreenA.jpg

As it turns out, when the right lever is aligned with the clutch lever at the original angle, the point of contact is directly into the notch inboard of the upper mounting screw. More on that later. Understand: This is not a defect. The RCS-15 is not a model-specific part. As such, it's not unusual to have to "adjust" a few things to fit. Now: I have the KTM "race bubble" screen. But looking at the dimensions of the OE screen at the point of contact, you're going to have the same issue. I don't know about the Cup screen. The Puig screen is narrower, as are some others, and you probably won't have to modify anything with those. YMMV.

So, now I needed to make my "adjustments:"

Line the brake lever up with the clutch lever. This isn't critical; you just want to ID the point(s) of potential contact that you're going to need to relieve. Mark those areas with a Sharpie:

Markings_A.jpg

Then, mask off the area around your markings with painter's tape:

Masked_1A.jpg

I relieved, or recontoured the screen with a Dremel tool, using a sanding drum at relatively low speed. The coarseness of the drum probably isn’t important. The screen is pretty soft, and progress was pretty fast. Here's my initial progress:

Clearance_1A.jpg

At this point, it was looking pretty good. I then hand-sanded the edge with progressively finer sandpaper (200, 320, 400, 800, 1200, 1500 grit), then an even finer grit emery paper. Finally, I used a buffing/polishing cylinder with white polishing compound on the Dremel tool to get a smooth, polished edge:

Polished_1A.jpg

Installed, this is what I believed my final clearance looked like:

Final_Clearance_A.jpg

Well, No

At this point, I attached the brake line, bled the brake, and adjusted the lever to my desired reach. BE SURE to bleed the master cylinder itself. There's a bleed fitting on the top for that. I started bleeding the line, got that part way done, then did the master cylinder, then finished the caliper. Next, I plugged the brake light switch into the bike's wiring, tested for operation, wrapped up the connections and zip tied the wires out of the way. Then I discovered that once the system is functional, the lever is farther out, which meant that I again had contact. (Insert foul language here). So, I eyeballed the contact, got the sanding drum out, and gradually re-contoured the edge to get the clearance that I actually needed. I’d done it once by now, so it was just a matter of repeating the steps to get to the final version:

Brembo-26A.jpg Brembo-28A.jpg

It's almost invisible from the saddle. From the front, if you’re real observant and look real close, you’ll see the modification. I'm out of pics in this thread. PM me if you want any of the others.

Mostly, now it clears the windscreen and looks tidy.

RC390_RCS-15_1A.jpg

And the reservoir:

RCS-15Reservoir_A.jpg

So, there ya go. None of the installation is difficult. You just have to have a Dremel tool, some sandpaper, polish and patience.

Again thanks to HardRacing and KTM Performance for the sweet parts and their support during the project. Please feel free to ask if I can help you with the project.

OH- Do they work? Oh, yeah. Baby got some serious stoppers now...uh HUH!

Last edited:
Nice write up Treachery!

I've got the same part for my bike. Ordered it from Hard Racing (supporting our site sponsors!) Just waiting for a few other parts to get so I can spend the day installing all the goodies at once. I also have the matching Brembo clutch lever 'perch'. Looks like I'll have to mod the left side of the windscreen for that as well.

Had to order that part from the UK. Bought it here in case anyone is interested: Brembo Master Cylinders (It's down the page titled 'NEW Brembo Style Clutch Lever to Match RCS Brake' Master Cylinder; not to be confused with the hydraulic master cylinders; it's cable actuated. Mark Pateman at Harris Performance was very helpful and responds to emails so no fear in ordering from them (just a little $$$), very respected.

Ride safe!

ej22tgc8

Country flag
I'm out in the garage installing my rcs15 right this moment and I have a question about the stock brake line. I had to remove the line from the little corkscrew bracket to get it to reach. I'm not sure if I'm putting too much strain on the line. I took a few pictures. Is that bend and the separation of the sheath within an acceptable range? Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Treachery

Country flag
I'd be able to make a better guess if I was looking at it in person, but it looks like the fitting is upside down. If you flipped it over, it looks like there'd be less of a hump in the line before it turns down. Hopefully someone who has retained the stock plumbing can tell you.

Treachery

Country flag
I probably should have discussed mounting the reservoir. Get everything else "dry fit," and determine your clearances in a general sense first. Then mount the reservoir. You can choose to mount the hose first, then mount to the bracket, or mount to the bracket and then the hose. I did the latter, because I wanted to be sure it would miss the upper part of the windshield. Slide the spring clamps onto the hose (be sure to consider the angle of access to the clamps with a needle nose or narrow vise-grip), then mount the hoses to the bottom of the reservoir and the nipple on the master cylinder. Don't be too heavy-handed; those nipples are plastic after all. You don't want to find yourself needing new pieces. Once you've got the plumbing set, snug the pieces down, making sure nothing hits the windshield or binds or rubs. Try to get the reservoir as close to level as you can; it'll make checking levels and filling easier. Fill with good DOT4 fluid, and commence to bleeding the system.

ej22tgc8

Country flag
Treachery, since you bypassed the ABS I suspect that you removed the OEM lines. Do you know the lengths of the lines?

Treachery

Country flag
I don't know the length of the OE lines, and they're in a bag in a box in the basement at this point. I think the proper length for bypass lines is discussed on here somewhere; if you can't find it, hit me up and I'll look.

ej22tgc8

Country flag
Oh boy, I'm into it now. I've removed everything I can to get at the ABS module but I'm stuck on the battery box. It seems like all the wiring for the whole bike is wrapped up in the box. What connectors do I disconnect to get the box out of the way?IMG_20160405_190301.jpg

Treachery

Country flag
Oh boy, I'm into it now. I've removed everything I can to get at the ABS module but I'm stuck on the battery box. It seems like all the wiring for the whole bike is wrapped up in the box. What connectors do I disconnect to get the box out of the way?

IIRC, there are two connectors in the back of the box that also hold down the front of the tank. Remove those. There's one small, black screw in the front that you have to remove. Without looking, I think that's it. I also removed the tank; instructions on how to do that are here on the board. You might be able to remove the lines without pulling the tank, but It's probably much easier without it up there. Once it was out of the way, I think I pulled the battery box rearward to gain access down to the top of the pump. Poke around. There are links in the Bypass ABS thread, removing ABS thread, and you can find out how to remove the tank too. Sorry if I only gave you enough help to cause you to do more work...

ej22tgc8

Country flag
No worries. I really just need to find a repair manual, but I don't want to wait a week to get a cd with my bike hogging up a parking spot.