Fuel Tank Removal

SWdragon

Country flag
I'm currently installing the air box mod and PCV module. I'm at a point where four bolts are removed from gas tank mounts and battery removed. Do I need to loosen or remove the battery box? Do I need to drain the tank? Can I just move the tank up and back a little to access wire connections I need for the PCV? Any help much appreciated! I don't have a service manual.

tecknojoe

Country flag
For the PCV, you can just lift the tank up and back without having to disconnect all the hoses. I don't know about the airbox but from what I remember I would think it's the same story.

rick

I dunno how much play there is but, you have to unscrew the two bolts under the battery to remove the fuel tank. Number 9 in this pic:

...Assuming that those aren't included in the 4 bolts you mentioned :)

green_bread

Country flag
Weird... I dont have bolts there on mine. Instead, there are two studs that stick up and you thread the nuts on to them. Holds both the battery box and fuel tank down.

SWdragon

Country flag
Yes mine are nuts you take off the studs. Problem is battery box still seems fasten down? There are three Allen head bolts in the front bottom of battery box, I'll try loosening them next to help remove tank. Probably Friday night is earliest I'll have time to do it.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Under the battery, beneath the rubber pad there are two M8 bolts, also a Allen head in the middle toward the front IIRC...

green_bread

Country flag
That sounds correct. There are two bolts in the side of the battery box that kind of attach the tank to it, as well, I believe. Cant remember if it fastens the tank to the battery box or if it holds the "internal" part of the battery box together.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
You shouldn't need to REMOVE either, but loosening enough to be pushed about is all that's needed. Chad says he can do it without doing either... but I think he's just using child labor with small tiny hands to do it. When we did the testing of Edwards PCv on the test mule here, we had to pull my PCv off, put his on, and then mine back on. Not a fun time... but we never removed the tank or battery box. We did loosen them all enough to stuff man sized hands in there to get at the connectors tho. If you remove too many bolts, you just gotta put 'em back on tho. If something's preventing you from getting access, pull it, and put it back later. This ain't rocket science... you just gotta swap a bunch of cables about. :)

SWdragon

Country flag
Yes, Fasteddy I missed that small Allen head in the front of the bottom of battery box, thanks. Tank is now pulled up and back (not removed), had to remove one of the drain tubes, a few zip ties, but then was able to lift tank up and back. It's held up currently by a couple of pieces of wood, should be able to get to all connections. I reviewed PCV instructions, found connections, will do tomorrow night when I have more time. Thanks Formula 390 for the info. Geez, my old 2009 Interceptor only had one connection for the power commander install as I remember. I will say it's good to see the fuel filter outside the tank than inside. My Aprilia Tuono had a dirty fuel filter which is inside the tank and took a good 3-4 hours of work to clean and replace. It's especially bad working with/in small spaces when your an old guy trying to look over your glasses and cussing!

SWdragon

Country flag
I got it installed today without removing the tank, just slid it back a inch or so and raised/tilted the front of tank up about 8 inches with a piece of wood.