Full A.B.S removal

GOJO

Hello rc forum users , im no stranger to bikes i have a few and ive raced sport bikes previously.
Ive recently bought a rc390 new i think there a smart looking bike and after watching them at bsb a couple of years back thought it might make a fun little bike.
its done 35 mile and in bits in the garage im lightening and modifying the bike currently im wanting to fully remove the abs including pump and ecu and wheel reluctor's. But keep the speedo
Regarding the speedo driving from the front wheel my thoughts are to use a speed sensor and disc bolts from a non abs 125 model with same dash ?? my question is does anyone know where the non abs speed sensor plugs in does it go in the loom or in the red spare on the dash? Or is the clock different? And has anyone done this with success ? I can split the pump and just leave the ecu side in place but id like to simplfy the set up too.
Mods so far
Brembo master cyl
Galfer 320mm disc
Wavey rear disc
Pro bolt pre drilled titainium caliper bolts machined down to fit
Sbs pads
venhill custom brake lines
Activ q/a throttle (ment for a yam 300) needs a custom bracket off the throttle body
Loom mod to remove ignition key
Lithium battery
Titainium sprocket nuts
Superspox 44 t rear sprocket
Mods coming soon (week or two)
Titainium swing arm spindle
Titainium wheel spindles
Titainium Spindle pull caps
Titainium captive wheel spacers
New chain
Tyga rear sets
Mods for winter
Enquiried about a larger core custom rad
Samco hoses
Bmc filter
Arrow gp2 ti exhaust
Ohlins shock
Ohlins or adreani fork cartridge kit
Top yoke
51mm clip ons
Tyga carbon bodywork race trim
Pc3 or bazzaz
Quick shifter
Bridgestone rs 10
Hoping they bring out a stroker/bore kit and ive seen a turbo kit but its not ready to market yet thats why im holding out on exhaust.

GOJO

Yes pc5 type error sorry!
AKQT-72-B Activ quick action throttle ment for a yamaha fit was good other than cable inner is longer so either a custom bracket is needed to move the adjuster further back to take up the slack or original bracket fitted with longer bolts with washers underneath to take up the slack . It cost £65 delivered from calspsort

D2M

Country flag
I deleted my ABS by splitting the pump and just using the circuit board to drive the speedo. I lengthened the bike side wire harness for the front ABS sensor plug to plug to the rear ABS sensor and am running the speedo from the rear wheel ( bike still thinks its front ) I have no sensor or ring on the front at all. Works perfectly.

GOJO

That was one plan i had but the rear abs pick up is smaller will this not effect speedo accuracy , probably going to go down the route of rc200 non abs speed sensor and magnetise the front disc bolts this will save me the most weight as well.

D2M

Country flag
Yes the rear ABS rotor is smaller but the tire diameter is larger. As long as you use the OEM size tire the accuracy will not be affected. If you go with a 160 rear tire it will be off by about %10.

Motorcycleguyr1

Hello rc forum users , im no stranger to bikes i have a few and ive raced sport bikes previously.
Ive recently bought a rc390 new i think there a smart looking bike and after watching them at bsb a couple of years back thought it might make a fun little bike.
its done 35 mile and in bits in the garage im lightening and modifying the bike currently im wanting to fully remove the abs including pump and ecu and wheel reluctor's. But keep the speedo
Regarding the speedo driving from the front wheel my thoughts are to use a speed sensor and disc bolts from a non abs 125 model with same dash ?? my question is does anyone know where the non abs speed sensor plugs in does it go in the loom or in the red spare on the dash? Or is the clock different? And has anyone done this with success ? I can split the pump and just leave the ecu side in place but id like to simplfy the set up too.

Hello, wondering if you figured anything out..? I have my abs pump removed and tried to get my speedo to work. I reinstalled the front sensor and ring on the rotor. But the speedo is not working.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag

Hello, wondering if you figured anything out..? I have my abs pump removed and tried to get my speedo to work. I reinstalled the front sensor and ring on the rotor. But the speedo is not working.

If you want to retain speedo function the ABS module has to stay in bike and connected electronically. You can split the unit but I wouldn't bother. All ABS factory bikes the speedo always goes to ABS unit, then relayed out from there.

GOJO

No i bought a non abs front speed sensor and magnetised the disc bolts and wire it up with the out put connected to the dash at the correct location after studying diagrams for both bikes , with no luck the dash firm ware must be different this can be altered by loading the firmware via the red plug near the clocks , but the local dealer has no idea on doing this , my mate has a bike shop as soon as he gets a non abs model in for sale i'll pin it out and swap the dash to see if it is firmware issue.
for now i have split the pump and i just have the back plastic case and the circuit board then i hot glued the board into the cover to seal it, i also wired the front speed sensor wires to the rear speed sensor (same amount of teeth on reluctor ring) just a little neater and the front un sprung/gyro (if you could notice) ever so lighter, there is also a jumper in the dash to fine tune speedo calibration but ive not bothered touching that. The abs comms wire to the dash is grounded via 100ohm resistor to extinguish the abs warning light.image.jpg

Last edited:

Fasteddy

Country flag
FWIW,

It's not a firmware issue, the ABS unit outputs a TTL level pulse train that goes to both the ECU and the Combo Insturment on the Blue / White wire, pin 8 of ABS unit. I have viewed this signal with a scope and compared it to the output of the hall effect sensor on my SD990 and they are identical. If you research the bolts for the disc they are the same part number for both 390 and non ABS versions. You will need a 5 volt source to drive the speed sensor, this can be found on the yellow / black wire that supplies 5 volts to the sensors from the ECU.

GOJO

As discussed in our emails it doesnt work ( i wish it did ) i had the non abs speed sensor wired up to the blue/white abs output to the dash and used a 5v power source which didnt work , yes the bolts share the same part number but i was just trying to rule out all possibilities i also tried a 12v power source on your advise which again didnt work , when thining out the loom the abs speed data output wire has a node joint where it splits to 3 one output to the engine ecu and one out put to a blue plug on the left hand side of the frame . Which you could use for testing purposes if you get a non abs sensor . If anyone can verify anything relating to non abs speed data set up im happy to try but for now im bored with the job .

Fasteddy

Country flag
I didn't realize until after I wrote the response that we had already discussed this, I will be pulling the fairings off of the 390 soon and will try to do some more testing and was thinking of simulating the signal into the blue/ white wire. The blue plug sounds interesting, that does not match the wiring diagrams. On one of the Indian forums I found info on a speed limiter that is used on the non ABS version.
It is not the blue plug that runs into the red LSU module that has two connectors on it is it?

GOJO

I'll check when next in the garage as , ive removed it now and cant honestly remeber if its a unused plug or not ,

GOJO

image.jpgThat is the plug that would be on the left side of the frame the blue white is the same one that feeds the dash and egine ecu