Got lucky in PA

warlok9

I suppose I just got lucky. I was browsing cycle trader and stumbled upon a new rc390 on a dealer listing saying "in stock and ready to go". At the time I was not.even aware the rc390 existed. I did some quick research, fell in love with the look of it, and called the dealer. They said they got many people looking at it and calling about it. I asked them to hold it for me for 5 days and they took a $500 deposit over the phone. I got a call from them a day later double checking my interest in the bike because since I called they had 7 more people place a deposit on it but that I was still #1 on the list.

Now, after reading this topic, you guys have me nervous about extra dealer charges! Of course I assumed the standard destination fee of about $200-300+ tax and title, but I am definitely going to do some thinking if when I get out there when they throw in import and prep fees setting the out the door price closer to $7k us. That's just way to high for a lightweight entry level.

There are many options that open up when you get into the $7k range when sport bike shopping. Brand new CBR500r with abs can be had for well under $7k for example. In addition many 2 or 3 year old 600cc super sports are on the market at that $6999 sweet spot.

I head out there on Tuesday, I'll keep you all posted on what I find out.

Matt

The location where you're buying from plays a big role. These are salesmen we're talking about and there is numerous ways to manipulate the numbers. One being location- if you live in an area with 20 people who want the bike then you should expect to pay a premium that is if you want one within the first or so batches. Hence why they're gathering as many prepaid deposits as they can get. Once the bike is finally available I see it going to the highest bidders.

warlok9

The bike is there, ready to go home with me! They sent me a picture. That was the point of my thread... Keep checking cycle trader for new listings. Never know when you will get lucky.

warlok9

The dealer is closed Mondays, but I'm going to call ahead tomorrow before I make the drive out to confirm the otd price.

warlok9

OTD price was $6586 USD. Destination fee was $499 plus Tax, title and plates. I passed on it. The bike is absolutely beautiful looking, but the price is high for what you are getting. They had Yamaha R3's on the floor with a sticker price of $4799. Add tax and title (they usually dump the destination fee on Japanese big brands)/and you come in about $1000 less. Add in the unproven reliability factor, it makes it a tough choice. I'm still kicking myself for passing on it half the time, but the other half I feel relieved.
I'm also 6'1" tall, 185lbs and someone with me said the bike looked a bit small under me, which bummed me out. Maybe its time to look at that 2007 Kawasaki ZZR600 at the shop down the road.

Treachery

Country flag
warlok9- I suspect that the RC is going to be 7-8 HP up on the R3, more than a few pounds lighter, and at least even on suspension. Those, among other reasons are why I didn't consider the Yamaha.

warlok9

Yeah treachery, I am aware of the rc is quicker, etc. But I am also aware the early US reviews from owners are coming in and almost every one I've read mention overheating issues, fan noise, random stalling on clutch in, rattles and squeaks that won't go away, and other various annoyances. I don't blame someone for deciding to spend near $7k on the gorgeous rc390, but don't begrudge me for passing. Each person has to decide for themselves.

R3 aside, you could even walk away with a new CBR500r for a few hundred less than the rc390. Clearly an equal on the street and far more refined and reliable than the rc390. But again, the rc390 has them all beat in looks and wow factor. So I get it. Trust me, I still have some regrets from letting it go. If I could have had it otd for under $6k, I would have taken the chance.

I will be keeping an eye on this forum to see how owners react to ownership and how the bike holds up.

Matt

@warlok9 where is your location? Also, I don't think it would be possible to get it under $6k as of now being that MSRP is $5499 and tax alone brings it around the $6k mark, then of course there's DMV, Doc fee, etc. I'm from southern CA and in the market for a new bike I keep in the back of my mind that there's an additional $700-1200 on top of MSRP, otd for most bn bikes.

warlok9

@warlok9 where is your location? Also, I don't think it would be possible to get it under $6k as of now being that MSRP is $5499 and tax alone brings it around the $6k mark, then of course there's DMV, Doc fee, etc. I'm from southern CA and in the market for a new bike I keep in the back of my mind that there's an additional $700-1200 on top of MSRP, otd for most bn bikes.

Yes, I see that now. It's just every time I've bought a new bike I never paid full destination fee and never paid a set up fee. This is the first time I've gotten into the arena of trying to acquire a high demand bike through.
For instance, I just got a quote on a new r3 for $5385 OTD ( includes tax, DMV, and dest fee) they knocked the retail down to $4479. That's an R3 for $1200 less than the KTM. I'm not saying that the R3 is the better bike, I'm just saying the rc390's destination charge is pretty steep and dealers are not going to budge on that right now due to demand.

I know I'm knit picking. The rc is an awesome looking bike.

warlok9

I'm in PA, tax for me on the bike is $329. DMV $120. That's under $6000. But they not only hit you with that $500 destination charge, they tax you on it too.

KxK

Yeah treachery, I am aware of the rc is quicker, etc. But I am also aware the early US reviews from owners are coming in and almost every one I've read mention overheating issues, fan noise, random stalling on clutch in, rattles and squeaks that won't go away, and other various annoyances. I don't blame someone for deciding to spend near $7k on the gorgeous rc390, but don't begrudge me for passing. Each person has to decide for themselves.

R3 aside, you could even walk away with a new CBR500r for a few hundred less than the rc390. Clearly an equal on the street and far more refined and reliable than the rc390. But again, the rc390 has them all beat in looks and wow factor. So I get it. Trust me, I still have some regrets from letting it go. If I could have had it otd for under $6k, I would have taken the chance.

I will be keeping an eye on this forum to see how owners react to ownership and how the bike holds up.

ive yet to see any reviews complaining about any of those things. I have however heard people like you talking about such reviews existing. I'm not trying to pick a bone, but if you have links I'd love to see them before I go drop 7k on this vs an MV F3. Yes I know different leagues - but it's what I've narrowed down on what I want,

guzz46

I think those complaints are mainly from India, particularly this thread

[Ownership Thread]: KTM RC 390 Ownership Experience - Page 141

But I have heard reports of KTM using cheaper parts on the Indian models, so I would take it with a grain of salt, I've had my RC 390 for a little over 3 months now and have done about 3500 kms on it, and I've never had any over heating issues, the fan does come on when stopped at a set of traffic lights for about 30 seconds, but some fan noise when stationary doesn't bother me, the bikes never stalled on me, the battery cover did vibrate a little at a certain RPM, but a little piece of rubber stuck to the top tab of the battery cover stopped that from happening.

I don't have any complaints, all in all it's a great bike, out of all the bikes I've owned, it's my new favorite, it's a blast to ride, it's light, it goes well, it handles like it's on rails, it looks cool, it's cheap to run, and there's just something really satisfying about riding the wheels off a smaller bike.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I agree totally with you guzz46, it took a while before my fan ever came on. I am at day 6 and a little over a 100 miles it's come on and ran briefly then shut off a few times. The more I ride the more I like it! I am wondering if I'll get back to riding the other bikes sitting idle in the garage ? Interesting decision matrix between the RC and the MV, Kind of a huge delta in every respect there.

guzz46

Yea, they're two quite different bikes, I doubt I'll ever go back to a big bike again, they just seem like overkill to me on the road, on most 600cc and above sports bikes you can't even nail it in first gear without breaking the open road speed limit, and most people on big bikes don't expect a LAMS approved bike to be right behind them, or over taking them on the brakes/around the outside.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Yea, they're two quite different bikes, I doubt I'll ever go back to a big bike again, they just seem like overkill to me on the road, on most 600cc and above sports bikes you can't even nail it in first gear without breaking the open road speed limit, and most people on big bikes don't expect a LAMS approved bike to be right behind them, or over taking them on the brakes/around the outside.

Not to get off topic, but LAMS, now I understand why Harley Davidson came out with a 500cc V twin....

KxK

I think those complaints are mainly from India, particularly this thread

[Ownership Thread]: KTM RC 390 Ownership Experience - Page 141

But I have heard reports of KTM using cheaper parts on the Indian models, so I would take it with a grain of salt, I've had my RC 390 for a little over 3 months now and have done about 3500 kms on it, and I've never had any over heating issues, the fan does come on when stopped at a set of traffic lights for about 30 seconds, but some fan noise when stationary doesn't bother me, the bikes never stalled on me, the battery cover did vibrate a little at a certain RPM, but a little piece of rubber stuck to the top tab of the battery cover stopped that from happening.

I don't have any complaints, all in all it's a great bike, out of all the bikes I've owned, it's my new favorite, it's a blast to ride, it's light, it goes well, it handles like it's on rails, it looks cool, it's cheap to run, and there's just something really satisfying about riding the wheels off a smaller bike.

Thanks for the insight. Two things additionally I'd like to point out. It's not as hell in India. There's no way around that. The traffic is also horrendous in many of the larger cities. also - the road conditions are brutal.

Granted I am moving back to Texas soon. I don't think I'll really deal with India level heat and traffic. None of us will ever really have to deal with road conditions you'd find there either,

I agree totally with you guzz46, it took a while before my fan ever came on. I am at day 6 and a little over a 100 miles it's come on and ran briefly then shut off a few times. The more I ride the more I like it! I am wondering if I'll get back to riding the other bikes sitting idle in the garage ? Interesting decision matrix between the RC and the MV, Kind of a huge delta in every respect there.

I agree - haha. How I landed on the choice is fairly convoluted too. Basically I was set to get the MV F3 675 or the RC8. This initial decision is based on looks and reviews. However I really don't need a liter bike. Aside from on the track - who does? Then someone told me about the 390, it holds many similar styling cues to the RC8 - so I was sold. However ~7k OTD vs ~13k OTD my value for dollar alarm starts going off. In respect to a new mostly unproven model, it is a little small and most of my local shops seem to have deposits on almost all thier stock. I've started slipping back to the MV. Don't get me wrong - every motorcycle publication that has reviewed the RC390 has loved it and I still love the appeal of a smaller less expensive bike. It's just really hot in terms of selling - I'll never get a discount if I'm able to find one vs an MV I've been seeing around 3k being knocked off sticker. So ya pretty convoluted - but makes sense in my head.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Interesting, I was looking at RC8R's also when I stumbled on the 390, I was mostly looking at getting a more updated bike from my then current commuter YZF600, the YZF would run pretty hot on August days here in traffic and I remember plenty of hot days in The Republic of Texas while riding to and fro, I picked up my first GPz south of Dallas in the middle of summer.

Just curious, if your moving back to Texas are you a student or military?

KxK

Interesting, I was looking at RC8R's also when I stumbled on the 390, I was mostly looking at getting a more updated bike from my then current commuter YZF600, the YZF would run pretty hot on August days here in traffic and I remember plenty of hot days in The Republic of Texas while riding to and fro, I picked up my first GPz south of Dallas in the middle of summer.

Just curious, if your moving back to Texas are you a student or military?

Nope - originally from Dallas area. Went to school at UT, got a job at Amazon here in Seattle, now work remotely for TMobile. Sick of the weather and the cost of living. As a network engineer I make a fairly health wage and the struggle is real on the westcoast. ;) Time to move home with my kids and enjoy life.