Has anyone managed to flash the ECU on a 2017?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
To flash the ECU, the KTM computer interrogates the ECU and does a handshake with Mattighofen with a decryption key. You can bypass this encryption, but to do so, you have to have direct access to the chip that stores the map. That means you have to open up the ECU to be able to expose the internal circuit board and get access to the chips pins. I know of one person (presuming I'm remembering the right person and don't want to say his name until I verify it's who it is who I'm thinking of), who's said he was able to do this. He basically is programming the chip directly, and bypasses the service port as well as all the KTM handshake / encryption.

Taking the ECU apart to gain access to the chip is fraught with danger and can very likely cause irreparable damage just on accident through the disassembly process. When I asked him about doing it as a service, he laughed and said "No ******* way!" because of it being so likely to damage the ECU. He was fine doing it on HIS bike, but didn't want to expose himself to accidentally damaging someone elses ECU. Still, it means it's TECHNICALLY possible... but not to the likes of the common man who wouldn't have the specialty equipment necessary to do the job, assuming you were able to gain access to the chip without destroying the ECU in the process. Otherwise, we are left to the fates for whichever map KTM releases for us to get at the dealership and/or going with a piggyback module like the PCv, or wholesale ECU replacement with an aftermarket ECU.

Am I correct that you can't do much with the PCV?
I only have an extremely basic understanding of this stuff, but from the things I've read the PCV can only effect things at full throttle?
Also for example if I purchased the engine upgrade kit from you guys ( is it available for a 2017 ), would I be able to tune for it with a PCV, would I need to send the bike to Dynojet for Tuning, would a Wideband module do anything?
When Dynojet built the PCV for the 2017 I talked to the guy who did the tuning, he gave me the impression there wasn't much tuning to be done, he wasn't opposed to adding a wideband, but indicated it wouldn't really do much.
I know I pop up with this question frequently and we've discussed it on the phone.
Not trying to beat a dead horse, just checking to see if there's anything new on it.
I also think it probably runs lean from the factory, having it run richer when not at full throttle should help it run cooler, yes we've had that discussion too :).

To flash the ECU, the KTM computer interrogates the ECU and does a handshake with Mattighofen with a decryption key. You can bypass this encryption, but to do so, you have to have direct access to the chip that stores the map. That means you have to open up the ECU to be able to expose the internal circuit board and get access to the chips pins. I know of one person (presuming I'm remembering the right person and don't want to say his name until I verify it's who it is who I'm thinking of), who's said he was able to do this. He basically is programming the chip directly, and bypasses the service port as well as all the KTM handshake / encryption.

Taking the ECU apart to gain access to the chip is fraught with danger and can very likely cause irreparable damage just on accident through the disassembly process. When I asked him about doing it as a service, he laughed and said "No ******* way!" because of it being so likely to damage the ECU. He was fine doing it on HIS bike, but didn't want to expose himself to accidentally damaging someone elses ECU. Still, it means it's TECHNICALLY possible... but not to the likes of the common man who wouldn't have the specialty equipment necessary to do the job, assuming you were able to gain access to the chip without destroying the ECU in the process. Otherwise, we are left to the fates for whichever map KTM releases for us to get at the dealership and/or going with a piggyback module like the PCv, or wholesale ECU replacement with an aftermarket ECU.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Am I correct that you can't do much with the PCV?

You are not correct. You can do quite a lot in fact. Talk to Chad about capabilities. He's the one that put the thing together for Power Commander after all. Go to the source directly.

mattv

Country flag
Seems like 2017 PCV questions are pretty common. Just an idea, but if Chad made a sticky post here that detailed the 2017 PCV capabilities, it might help get the info out better.