help first service finally

keepcalmsin

Finally have 700k miles on my rc 390, I don't want to take her to the dealership because I've been seeing post of the prices which seem really $$$$.
First bike so i just know the basics, but i really want to do all the service it needs. Where can i buy everything i need? I checked with oreilys and they only have one type of oil for motorcycles. any suggestions on oil, and where can i buy the oil filter. I need help lol.

:confused::confused::confused:

Hi keepcalmsin, I did my own first service to my RC when I heard of the prices dealers wanted to get it done. Saving that money for other mods for the bike. I put Motul 300V 15W-50 oil ($16/qt) in that I got from the local Cycle Gear store (they should have them in San Fran) and also ordered a Hiflo Filter - HF155 oil filter ($6) from them as well. Having a thin long neck funnel helps refilling oil after you clean screens and change filter and tighten back up to specs. There are a few Youtube videos on oil change for the RC390 so you could check them out. Just make sure to NOT overtighten the bolts for the oil filter cover. There are a couple of threads here on the forum about oil changes so do a quick search. Procedure is pretty straight forward and easy to do.Most of the tools you need are in your tool kit with the exception of a 18mm socket (I believe) to loosen the bottom drain bolt. There are 2 oil screens you need to remove and clean as well as oil filter to change. There is a thread on the forum about the gunk you can find trapped in the screens, like here: http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/engine-and-technical-discussion/273-change-oil.html Other than the oil change, if you feel confident enough to check valve clearances yourself, you're set. Factory service manual will be very helpful if your a first timer. Otherwise you may want to have your local dealer do it. But since you want to learn to do it yourself, it helps to have a friend who has done valve checks to help you out. Otherwise if you're all by yourself, there is a Youtube video for that as well. Hope it all goes well for you. The oil change should be quick but checking valve clearances takes longer because of everything you need to remove or get out of the way. The actual checking of valve clearances with a feeler gauge is quick unless you need to change shims because the tolerance is too tight or too loose. Mine were just fine. Have fun with your bike! :)

MotoKam

The reason you want the dealer to do the first service is so your warranty will remain valid. They might give you crap if they don't have a record of the first service and then you come in a few months later with a complaint they would have caught at that service.

I had Scuderia West on Dubose in San Francisco do my first service minus the oil change. That I have always done myself. I can't find the record of the cost, but I don't recall it being more than $100 or so. Make sure they put Loctite on the kick stand threads. Mine fell off after a few thousand miles.

Do not look to an auto parts store for your motorcycle parts. They just don't have what you need. Cycle Gear at 1500 Harrison St will hook you up (no, I don't work for them).

I agree with Hunterbear. Motul 15W-50 is the way to go, and you can get it in the 4 Liter bottle there. They also stock the correct K&N oil filter, KN-155. Cleaning, or replacing, the two screens is critical. There will be a lot of metal shavings at the first oil change. That is normal. Don't be bothered by it, just don't let those shavings get back into the motor. I use a turkey baster or syringe to spray fresh oil into their cavities to make sure all the contaminants are out.

I would plan on replacing the fairing fasteners soon if you make servicing your own RC a regular part of your life. The shallow pockets strip fairly easy, even using the gentle force they require. They are M6 x 1.0 in 10mm, 16mm, and 20mm lengths (or something close to that). The RC forum has several vendors. Shop around and find what you like.

Cheers on your first service. And don't forget the orange Go-Jo!!!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The reason you want the dealer to do the first service is so your warranty will remain valid. They might give you crap if they don't have a record of the first service and then you come in a few months later with a complaint they would have caught at that service.

I had Scuderia West on Dubose in San Francisco do my first service minus the oil change. That I have always done myself. I can't find the record of the cost, but I don't recall it being more than $100 or so. Make sure they put Loctite on the kick stand threads. Mine fell off after a few thousand miles.

Doing your own service is COMPLETELY covered by warranty as long as you have record of having performed the service. Take some cell phone pics and receipts of your consumables. It's illegal for a warranty repair to be denied because an owner did their own maintenance rather than a dealership.

If you only paid $100 for your initial servicing, then you didn't have your valves checked. That's imperative to be done. It seems about 50/50 for folks to either have the initial service have the valves be in spec, or be tight. If they are tight, they HAVE to be adjusted or you risk premature wear and being down on power. There are many threads and discussions on the valve adjustment on the first service... but end result is, it's easy enough to check yourself, just takes a little bit of time. If they need to be adjusted, and don't feel confident in yourself doing it, then you can always haul the bike into the dealership and have them do it, after you do the rest of the initial maintenance. I know plenty of us would gladly provide all the guidance necessary to do the job, but it does require some exacting steps and tools which if all one has is their bike toolkit and a $69.95 craftsman 101 piece toolkit their dad bought them when they moved into their first apartment, then it's probably better that you find a local mentor who's done valve adjustments a few times and doesn't mind teaching someone how to do it for themselves.