How long do you warm up you bike before riding?

Seth

Country flag
Hi All,

I don't have my owner's manual yet and was wondering how long i should idle my bike before I take off.

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Being fuel injected, it's not quite as necessary as it used to be with carb'd bikes. With that being said, I always let my bikes warm up for at least one minute. I usually roll it out of the garage, start it, then put my gear on while it's warming up.

guzz46

Usually about 2 minutes for me, by that stage about 2-3 bars of the temp gauge have lit up.

Rodolfo

Take ir out of The Garage

And turn it on while going down hill, a few houses away from home

To not wake up my wife and neighbors on sunday morning

And ride it easy for like 2 minutes

Ryanthegreat1

Hit the starter and go WFO bouncing the rev limiter until the fan comes on. Oh wait that the the service procedure for a cummins not an RC390.

Start it up and let it idle while I put my gear on and then take it easy until it is fully warmed up. Once it is warmed up give er the beans!

Seth

Country flag
Thanks for the quick replies all! lol hit the rev limiter... Awesome, because I don't want to wake the neighbors tomorrow morning =)

Ryanthegreat1

I plan to wake the neighbors in the morning! Right after I install the oil filter I just got after waiting all week. Oh and filling it with oil and putting all the plastics back on. Then.... Then there will be beautiful music of a 373cc single warming up for some qualifying laps around the neighborhood. :p

Treachery

Country flag
For as long as it takes the garage door to close and for me to put on my gloves.

Stall it the first time, restart, and go.

Manbeard

For as long as it takes the garage door to close and for me to put on my gloves.

Stall it the first time, restart, and go.

Same for me, except for the stalling?
Riding too easy and especially idling are not great idea's in my humble opinion. Idling a bike doesn't warm the oil fast enough, making lubrication less efficient.
I don't bang the rev limiter when it's cold, but I'll just ride it slightly easy untill I guess it's quite warm (we don't have oil temp gauge anyway), and then I give it the beans!
I don't think the engine will have a long life anyway, judging the rest of the quality of the bike... Being single cylinder, 10000rpm Indian built, I think this will be the first bike that locks up the rear wheel at high speed as the valves take out a piston or something.
That's a strange statement, it being the first new bike I've ever owned...

Fasteddy

Country flag
Same for me, except for the stalling?
Riding too easy and especially idling are not great idea's in my humble opinion. Idling a bike doesn't warm the oil fast enough, making lubrication less efficient.
I don't bang the rev limiter when it's cold, but I'll just ride it slightly easy untill I guess it's quite warm (we don't have oil temp gauge anyway), and then I give it the beans!
I don't think the engine will have a long life anyway, judging the rest of the quality of the bike... Being single cylinder, 10000rpm Indian built, I think this will be the first bike that locks up the rear wheel at high speed as the valves take out a piston or something.

After my first oil change 'awakening' and now seeing that an entire replacement engine is available P/N 081275O for $3399.99 I am wondering if I should go ahead and get one now or wait to see if it lasts through the warranty period...

A1VW2NV

Country flag
After my first oil change 'awakening' and now seeing that an entire replacement engine is available P/N 081275O for $3399.99 I am wondering if I should go ahead and get one now or wait to see if it lasts through the warranty period...

Don't waste your money. Go straight for a crate LC4! B-)

Fasteddy

Country flag
I spent plenty of time looking at what else would fit... BTW, the thought of taking the side fairings off never even occurred to me for the oil change, just popped and dropped the lower....

Ryanthegreat1

This statement exactly.

Bought a Honda Grom last year, it oozes with quality. FI is dialed, no lean surging, brakes are VERY good, everything was tight from the factory and no rounded off bolts. No rattles. The controls are crisp and smooth, the switches on the bars are positive and tight. India =/= Japan well technically I think Thailand is where the Grom was put together. Build quality on the Honda is far superior in every way to the KTM.

Manbeard

I already tightened several bolts on my bike at a few hundred miles. Locktite? What is that sir? Also kind of sad to see the paint on my wheels is already gone at the edge of the rim while the bike hasn't even seen rain or abuse. Also looking closely, there's even small spots where the paint did'nt even cover. Never checked those things picking the bike up, as I've never had a "budget" bike before. Was in doubt between getting a used r6 or this and went for the rc because I wanted something that would put the fun back in to riding without doing ridiculous speeds all the time. Coming from litre bikes, it is a fun adjustment, but I'm used to japanese quality and that's far to be found on this bike.