How often are you lubing the chain?

corners

Not sure what the manual recommends and just a street rider myself but try to lube every 200-500 miles (using chain wax atm...) don't like to put too much on because the rear rim get's full and it builds up under the front cover.

OldVet

Most of my rides are 250+ miles so I lube right after I get in with Honda Pro Lube with Moly...

MrGrody

Me personally every 500 miles I clean/strip off all gunk & lube and then relube.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

s30series

I've gone 2000 miles without lubing. Its an Xring chain....you shouldn't have to lube often at all unless you ride in rain/dusty areas....even then sparingly

Asher

Typically every 400kms. And do it just after you finish your ride while the chain is still warm

s30series

You guys are just wasting time/money...xrings were designed for a reason :cool:

2.5k miles now with not a drop of lube and its as clean/quiet as new

OldVet

You guys are just wasting time/money...xrings were designed for a reason :cool:

2.5k miles now with not a drop of lube and its as clean/quiet as new

I respectively disagree. I believe there are many parts of the drive train that benefit by lube.

Here's an article you may or may not find interesting?

Chainmaintenance

Lubrication and Cleaning

Every joint or 'articulating point' in a chain is actually a bearing of steel to steel surfaces. It is essential that a film of lubricant is at all times present to reduce friction, protect from corrosion and extend the life of the chain. This film of lubricant not only cuts down friction but also assists in cushioning the drive, in effect hydraulically. If a chain is not too dirty, the process of lubrication is normally sufficient to clean it.

If the accumulation of dirt on the chain is excessive, the chain can be washed with a brush (not a wire or harsh type) with kerosene or paraffin and then preferably dried immediately witha jet of compressed air. Do not use steam, petrol or solvents. Be careful not to damage the rubber seals with O and X ring chains.

Sealed 'O' and 'X' ring chains - Even though these chains are sometimes thought of as being maintenance free - it is important to ensure that the outside of these chains are kept well greased. Both the rubber seals and the exposed metals need to be kept lubricated and this job should be carried out every 250 - 300 miles or so, depending on conditions. If this type of chain is left on a bike which is not going to be used for several months, it is a very good idea to attend to lubricating the chain first.

Ordinary roller chains (not sealed) - When used as a final drive chain which is exposed, this type of chain needs more care and attention.in terms of cleaning and lubrication.

Bagwell

Country flag
I agree that the chain needs some lube and cleaning on a normal basis I usually plan on about every 500 miles unless I ride in the rain or nasty weather. The Seal O and X ring chains dont need the lube for the inner rollers to plates movement but the chain lube is more for the other parts that are not sealed. From what I have read the RC's chain isnt all that great of quality and will need replacing sooner than many other bikes normally do. When I replace chains I usually buy upper end DID or RK chains with pleanty of tensil strength. On Dirtbikes that I will change the chain on more regularily I get a little cheaper chain but still decent quality because It takes more a beating in the dirt and grime.