Impressions after three days

Fasteddy

Country flag
Been watching this forum just thought I'd put in my two bits...

Brought mine home on Saturday.
Oregon no sales tax.
OTD with a MCO = $5949.00. (MSRP + Shipping)
All DMV title etc. includes tags for FOUR YEARS = $260.00.
State Farm full coverage insurance for one year $260.41.
Warranty 12000 miles / 12 months covers engine, frame, swing arm.
Has 37 miles on it so far(Oregon).
Has all the issues I would expect, rattles, loping idle / low end and especially the blah blah blah.
(Use just the outer 1/4 of mirrors)

Everyone stares at it like its a spaceship BTW.

I am 50 plus years old, have some pretty hi performance bikes parked right next to it spanning a few years, have owned / bought /sold /worked on.... hundreds of motorcycles. stumbled on the RC 390 unintentionally quite by accident and not even looking for another bike (had to work /clean garage to make room for it!) and I have not smiled as much nor had as much enjoyment from a bike in probably the last twenty seven years! (1984 GPz 750 New in crate c1988).

My face hurts from smiling so much, it takes me back to riding an AMF Harley SX175 to high school, or one of several CB400F's and RD350 / 400's over the years I wish I still owned.

Yes, it has pros and cons like everything else but the bottom line is the level of fun I am having with it is priceless!

guzz46

Interesting about the warranty, down here we get a full 24 month warranty regardless of km's.

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Thanks for the insight Fasteddy! We appreciate your hands-on, unbiased review. I am hoping to take delivery late this week. Maybe catch ya at cars/coffee sometime?
Joe

Louatlvc

I mirror Fasteddy's comments. I have about 5 hours of saddle time on the RC and really like everything about it. Regarding the "running hot" concerns, I'm not sure it really is running hot. Although the fan kicks on fairly often, I have other bikes that behave the same. The temperature gauge is a series of led bars that go from 1 to about 10 bars. Then, there is a gap (no bars) then two or three more bars. I never saw the "post-gap" bars light up and according the manual. anything up to 10 bars is normal operating temperature. It's hard to monitor a single's engine temperature with a led bar-type instrument so until I test it with a more accurate measure, I'm going to hold off on referring to it as running hot. Maybe I just got lucky but I've had no issues with rough idle. I have two other singles and the RC seems similar. So far, no stalling.
Like Fasteddy, I'm over 50 and have had a lot of bikes. The last bike I had that made me smile this much was the Yamaha FZR400. I also own a Honda CBR250 and I was expecting some similarities between the two. But, they are so very different. The RC has the same lightweight flickability as the CBR but with way more power and torque. Unlike the CBR, I don't find myself wishing I had more power to truly enjoy a spirited ride. I am hoping to get more time on it this week so I will pass on any new issues that come up. My dealership told me it has a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty. Funny how this info seems so inconsistent for the US models!

Treachery

Country flag
Thanks for the insights, Fasteddy and Louatlvc! Sounds like we're contemporaries, both by the calendar and experience. Can't wait to chime in.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Thanks for the responses, I had a somewhat long response all typed in but it did not post :(

I almost bought a FZR400, now I wish I had.

Guzz46, thanks for all your input on the forum! I think in some countries especially the UK / Former UK? (sorry not sure what the term is) Warranties are much more liberal, here for instance my last two Fords have had 36K miles or three years, What is a new car warranty there? My dealer actually said it it had a six month warrnty even though they gave me the KTM paper that says a year. I will do more research online...

I have not had the fan come on once yet nor any over heating, but, the highest it has been here is about 60 F, I have a YZF600R, I am used to hot running water cooled and a 1986 FZ600 so used to overheating air cooled too.

Rode two up with my daughter yesterday, she would much rather be on the YZF as she likes the riding position better, but I was impressed at how it ran with another average size person on it!

I would like to get a shop manual and a wiring diagram, I found the pin out for the alarm connector, handy power and a pin to light an indicator in the cluster. I am very interested in the diagnostic interface also. ( yes I am an Engineer and must play)

I have the better seat on order, a must have Item!

Joe, PM me with your contact info and what area of the Couve you live in, BTW what dealer are you going through?

Fasteddy

Treachery

Country flag
^^^^^
You've got the ergo seat on order? REALLY eager to hear your impressions. It's a tiny little thing, but the price is very reasonable as saddles go.

guzz46

I almost bought a FZR400, now I wish I had.
Guzz46, thanks for all your input on the forum! I think in some countries especially the UK / Former UK? (sorry not sure what the term is) Warranties are much more liberal, here for instance my last two Fords have had 36K miles or three years, What is a new car warranty there? My dealer actually said it it had a six month warrnty even though they gave me the KTM paper that says a year. I will do more research online...

I'm in NZ, and I just checked Ford's website and their warranty is 36 months or 100,000 kms, whichever comes first.

My brother used to have a FZR400, and I used to have a couple of ZXR400's a 1990, and a 1993, I also used to have an RVF400, they were good bikes, but they're getting a bit long in the tooth now days, personally I prefer the RC 390, which is saying a lot because I used to really love my RVF400, maybe if the Japanese started making them again, but about 20kg lighter, then I might change my mind.

Last edited:

Fasteddy

Country flag
And the rear small bag and the KTM LICENSE PLATE HOLDER SHORT, and I am looking at jackets and I can't stop buying..... on the bright side, the tax refund is gone....

Treachery

Country flag
On the license plate holder, I'd look at the R&G tidy. Very clean and tight. Available from the UK for around $100 + postage, or from Twisted Throttle at about $130; they may freeship at that cost, but I haven't confirmed it.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Interesting, thats a lot more miles / kms, Is KTM popular there in moto cross etc.? Currently reading about the history of New Zealand to further myself a bit, what area are you in?

guzz46

I'm in Christchurch, I believe KTM is pretty popular over here in motocross, probably at least on par with the Japanese bikes, but I'm not really in the loop on motocross, so I could be wrong.

Fasteddy

Country flag
On the license plate holder, I'd look at the R&G tidy. Very clean and tight. Available from the UK for around $100 + postage, or from Twisted Throttle at about $130; they may freeship at that cost, but I haven't confirmed it.

I looked at that, the KTM one wasn't bad price and ordered it before I saw the others, I could fab one up in a few minutes, I'll start with the KTM and see where it goes...

For not even looking to buy a bike to seeing an add on craigslist I seem to be all in now, and still smiling!

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Ironically it was in high school my buddy let me ride hid dads FZR400, forever ruining me. Yes I favor small displacement, light, nimble bikes.(last new bike was a 2K R6) Hence the reason for the ordering the rc. I am buying my bike from Gresham KTM/Husky. They've had my deposit since January and I am starting to get jealous, seeing others with bike in hand already. lol

emeglasson

Hey Fast Eddy, Joe, do you guys plan to bring yours out to the track this summer? My buddy bought one last night, I rode it for 20 minutes, and I bought mine this morning. Picking it up this evening. We'll be at ORP every chance we can. We have one more friend down here likely to grab one, too. It would be great to have a heard of these little beasts ripping around in the B group!

I think I'll be working on a bit of a front brake upgrade; I'll be curious to hear/see what other folks do in that area. We'll be generally be doing the other track prep stuff. So, will also be curious to see some feedback on tires from these actual bikes. I'm also anxious to hear from someone that gets a race tail. I'm curious if it's any roomier than the stock bi-posto unit. I have a long-ish torso & my butt bumps against the back seat at full tuck.

The bike is an absolute blast to ride!! Cant wait to hit the track.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Hi, I am not much into the track, I carry plenty of reminders with me from my more race oriented days, but it would be cool to meet up there and check em out when your there, I plan on more commuter use for mine so not thinking of much performance mods, more comfort. I did ride it to work today and enjoyed it immensely ! I did push the envelope a bit ;^) and must say I was impressed, My 600 will need to get some excrise but I am enjoying what I thought would be the workhorse commuter more then the weekend go fast machine...

Just curious, where did you get yours?

emeglasson

We got ours in Bend, at Cascade Motorsports. Mike was great to deal with; quick & painless. I got mine home last night & promptly put 50 miles on it. I rode it to work this morning, too. Very Very fun bike. We are going to totally dork out on ours and get them fairly well track prepped. First day at ORP will be June 6th with PSSR. I cant wait!