JRI or Ohlin

StreetFighter with remote Reservoir integrated rebound/compression = $799
JRi double adjust (independant rebound and compression = $985

bkruk

Gbabyracing I just tried to pm you but your inbox is full. Could you please send the info you mentioned

reenmachine

Country flag
Everyone's been saying that the Ohlins is the emulsion type, but according to that part number (S46DR1) it isn't. The part number would have an E in it according to that key, but I'm certainly no expert.

You know - you're right. I didn't catch that, this is a single tube (not TTX) DeCarbon floating piston. This shock also offers integrated rebound - compression adjustment like JRi. I actually owned that shock once on a BMW R1200ST application. Pretty good unit as I remember. This would be the equivalent of the JRi non remote reservoir version at $699 less the ride height adjustment. Unfortunately the JRi unit will have interference issue at the top mount on the RC - why I'm using the remote reservoir.

I cannot speak to fitting a Duke shock on a RC. I will be taking a closer look at a friends Duke soon.

So suddenly the Ohlins may not be seeming like too bad a deal at $648 shipped.

bkruk

Ok so I went with Gbabyracings recommendation and went for the JRI. The difference is outstanding! Worth every penny. It's like I'm glued to the road now, a feeling I never got from the stock shock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    683.4 KB · Views: 338
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 314

F1Tod

I am glad to see this thread back. I own the Duke390 and only plan on street use or maybe local go-cart track, maybe being the key word. What would you recommend for me? Anything would be better than the stock one. The JRi and Ohlins are the only ones I am currently shopping. Does this addition mean I need to upgrade the front suspension right away or maybe not at all? I assume you do need to do both. Any packages available you know of?

Thanks all, this has been a very helpful read.
-Tod

zaster

Country flag
I'm not aware of any package deals. I got the KT303 Öhlins and the Race Tech fork springs for my weight. My local parts guy got me a better deal than I could find on the internet.
Got the shock installed but haven't found any video on how to do the springs.

Bagwell

Country flag
I did the Ohlins KT303 rear shock and Andreani front fork spring/cartridge assembly in each fork. The bike sticks like glue. Great modification. If you check out each of the vendors and compare pricing you can find the best deal on the itmes you want at any given time. You might just do a search for Ohlins or Andreani or fork springs with KTM RC390 in the search box and see who pops up for sales. All the vendors on this site seem to be very good.

reenmachine

Country flag
I am glad to see this thread back. I own the Duke390 and only plan on street use or maybe local go-cart track, maybe being the key word. What would you recommend for me? Anything would be better than the stock one. The JRi and Ohlins are the only ones I am currently shopping. Does this addition mean I need to upgrade the front suspension right away or maybe not at all? I assume you do need to do both. Any packages available you know of?

Thanks all, this has been a very helpful read.
-Tod

If that's how you'll be using it my recommendation would be the R6 shock from Formula390. It's a very big difference from stock at a fraction of the cost. I run mine on the track and it was such an improvement I can't imagine what the JRi or Ohlins must be like. I coupled it with new springs and oil up front and that's a great budget suspension upgrade overall.

Kojiiro

Country flag
Hello! Didn’t want to make a new thread. I’m new to the site but wanted to post a relative question. Here’s a copy paste from my has my question

Hello! I am currently stationed in Japan and don’t actually own an RC390, but joined to ask questions. I’m currently looking to switch bikes. I’ve owned a few 600cc+ bikes, moved to a lighter R3 in the states and liked it so much that I went to buy the same bike after getting stationed here in Japan. At thr time they on,y had an R25 so I went with that. Currently most of my riding is commuting. Most of my recreational riding is on the track, 3-4 per month all year as long as I am not on deployment. I’m looking to change to either and rc390 or possibly the N400. I don’t want to sell my R25 and part out all the go fast parts. My questions for now will be as follows ( I’m also going to ask this in the suspension thread):

Will either my ohlins YA 467 or K Tech Razor RR fit on the bike? Looks like it will, as the specs for the ohlins for the R3 and 390 are almost the same. The main difference is the stroke. The website actually lists the R3 ya 467’s eye to eye at 277 but if I recall measuring mine, it was right at 300. I’ll have to remeasure it.

https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/54981/

https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/52581/

I saw an article for an RC390R, but with a $3000 difference I’m sure you can build a better set up with that money.

I noticed a member I know from Gaijin riders. /wave Tora Tora.