JRi shock install (I hid the reservoir)

OldVet

I chose the JRi based mainly on feedback from this forum and I'm really pleased with the shock. The JRi shock is an awesome shock and totally transformed the way my bike rides and handles.

I didn’t like the looks of the reservoir hanging off the sub-frame and came up with an alternative mounting location.

So I used the bracket that was used for the smog canister (since it fell off somehow :rolleyes:) and it turned out to be the perfect place to hide the reservoir IMO.

Capture.JPG

006.JPG

Much cleaner look, I think...

004.JPG

If you are looking for a great shock give Matt a call. Matt is awesome to work with he’s very knowledgeable and he's always quick to get back to you if you have a question.

Matt @ Formula390
Owner, Fabricator, and Biscuit Czar
http://Formula390.com
Formula390

Specializing in performance parts for the RC390
[email protected] (512)88-RC390

psych0hans

Country flag
Hi, did you do the installation yourself? I tried taking off the stock shock but, for the life of me, I couldn't get the top mounting bolt to come loose. Any tips or tricks for the same? In the hardracing video, they recommend loosening the bolts before taking pressure off the shock, so that's what I was trying to do. Any tips/tricks on that front please? Thank you!

Take all load of the swing arm first. Jack stands under the foot rests is what I do. Much easier to remove the bolts. Release pressure off the shock?

Last edited:

OldVet

Take all load of the swing arm first. Jack stands under the foot rests is what I do. Much easier to remove the bolts. Release pressure off the shock?

That won't work if you have the stock foot rests on the bike, you will have to put a jack under it like they did here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogwUVWFu5C8

OldVet

That's exactly what I was trying to do, but I thought I had to loosed the bolts before lifting it. When I couldn't do that, I just gave up on it altogether.

I lifted mine prior to loosening the bolts and had no problem removing them. After you loosen the bolts move the wheel up a hair to take some weight off of it, that will make it easier to pull the bolts out. Be careful not to jar it off of the jack though.

That won't work if you have the stock foot rests on the bike, you will have to put a jack under it like they did here.

Actually it does work. I used two adjustable craftsman jack stands and positioned them under the mounts for the folding rider pegs. It was very solid and kept the bike fully stable for the entire shock replacement. Sorry I don't have photos - it was done back in April before I installed Tyga rearsets.

- Great looking shock install BTW

Last edited:

Bagwell

Country flag
OldVet: is that the street or track version RC390 you put the JRI shock on? I see some passenger peg mount hole plugs or something. I was wondering about those plugs.

OldVet

Actually it does work. I used two adjustable craftsman jack stands and positioned them under the mounts for the folding rider pegs. It was very solid and kept the bike fully stable for the entire shock replacement. Sorry I don't have photos - it was done back in April before I installed Tyga rearsets.

- Great looking shock install BTW

Cool, I looked at doing it tat way and didn't think I would have enough room, so I went with the jack.

OldVet

OldVet: is that the street or track version RC390 you put the JRI shock on? I see some passenger peg mount hole plugs or something. I was wondering about those plugs.

Street version. I removed the passenger pegs and plugged the holes with auto door trim type plugs I got at Ace Hardware.

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

Agreed with OldVet.

Easy to do with just a floor jack.

We did it this way in the video, to show that pretty much anyone can do it.

Obviously, different brand shock........ But same install.

[video=youtube;ogwUVWFu5C8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogwUVWFu5C8[/video]

Using a Baxely up front instead of the side stand with a hydraulic jack is a different story. Actually that's a pretty dang good idea.