Ktm frr & rc

apriliaS2K

Country flag
Hello everyone !

Anyone ever wanted to compare the KTM FRR 125/250 GP and the RC 390 dimensions ? I have been questioning for a long time when I saw this picture a while ago.
How close are they in terms of wheel base, rake angle, offset, seat height, height, width etc... I know these bikes are completely different and can't be really compared but I was just wondering for the dimensions.

Here is the pic :
3272caea5f6341e53d9698d40fc40b81.jpg

Tom

Judging by the picture, the GP bike is slightly larger than a race seat for the rc390

=P

Tom

That being said, I foresee the small displacement bikes becoming the new 600cc battle ground by manufacturers. The low cost of entry along with insurance premiums is making this category of bikes incredibly appealing to even seasoned riders.

apriliaS2K

Country flag
Yes it is ... I don't understand why KTM didn't decided to produce a street legal version of the FRR with the same engine as the RC 390 instead of creating a new model.
I hope you are right Tom I am still waiting to add a new companion for my RS 250 for something more actual. aprilia understood at the time please mister KTM listen to our needs. :p

John390

yep, I'd never get another bike if they went with a twin, a triple or a V4(ideally) Even just a really badass twin of 399cc.

A bit more fit and finish, a bit more brakes, and fully adjustable suspension, relocate the battery to below the seat.

Keep it about $7-8k.

That with some tuning and I'd be perfectly happy.

Tom

yep, I'd never get another bike if they went with a twin, a triple or a V4(ideally) Even just a really badass twin of 399cc.

A bit more fit and finish, a bit more brakes, and fully adjustable suspension, relocate the battery to below the seat.

Keep it about $7-8k.

That with some tuning and I'd be perfectly happy.

LOL minus the suspension, I'm pretty sure you just described the Ninja 400.

apriliaS2K

Country flag
Mono cylinder or a V4 like in the old 90's VFR 400 and RFV 400 would have been great. Not sure about the Ninja though. I would go clearly for RC with a few mods rather than a ninja. Weight diminution and maniability is much better on the RC. When I look at the R3 or the Ninja frame I am just so sad.

John390

the Ninja 400 is a serious and very real threat to the RC 390. However, it has a few problems.

firstly the suspension and brakes are sub par. yes, even compared to our suspension and brakes, and we all bitch about them. However, every real review I read and looked at stated that the RC390 won in those categories quite handily.

Also, the Ninja has lower rearsets and higher bars. Also a win for us.

These are not the end of the world and at the end of the day the engine is a MUCH bigger deal.

But, apparently, the engine is giving the Ninja owners fits because its a brand new engine. Once it matures for a few years it will be better.

If Yamaha continues to go in the direction they are with the R3, and maybe if they make it the R4, they will also have a legitimate contender.

I can only hope that KTM does what needs to be done to stay ahead of these others. If not, well, I might have to jump ship in a year or two.

Andy

Country flag
the Ninja 400 is a serious and very real threat to the RC 390. However, it has a few problems.

It’s pig ugly and massive!

I quite like the R3 looks although it’s basically the old R3 underneath.

Still the 390 for me, I’m intrested in what Ducati might have to offer but I’m thinking of going larger capacity. My vice is small singles, large singles or large twins but that’s because I loved SOS and BOTT raving.

Ideally I want to create something like this, this bike inspires me so much the magazine it is in has fallen apart, I try to incorporate elements into my 390 ...

2c8fc46167eadb069813ab5ed12a8d2d.jpg
b62c5ecd0b3677e8bd9033495d22fed4.jpg
969388f4513626dca59413002df8f6c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John390

well, looks are subjective. its not my cup of tea, but its ok (The Ninja 400)

However, weight wize its within a couple of pounds of the RC390. Either one will loose the same weight with cat/resonator deletes, CF mufflers, Li batteries, etc.

Tom

The thing that is important to remember is that the ninja 400 was built from the ground up to be faster that the RC390. Then they realized they forgot about the Euro restrictions, and de-tuned it via ECU and it passed their laws. This paves the way for other manufacturers to do the same. Of course advanced suspension or use of magnesium would likely not make it into a production bike due to cost restrictions, you could easily start slapping more capable motors into a bike while detuning them via the ECU for Euro specs.

I have a feeling the 2020 bikes are gonna suck, but the next gen bikes will be the beginning of the small displacement wars.

Last edited:

John390

I hope they start an under 400cc war. I really do.

I'd spend $8k for one too.

I want preload, compression and rebound damping on both ends, bigger brakes, very light weight (current bike is close) and 60-70 hp in a twin, triple or V4

I'd appreciate lean sensitive abs and a quick shifter, but they are not mandatory.

Yamaha, KTM and Kawasaki are almost there.

Honda, Triumph and Aprilia have the chassis and the engine tech for it

Just no one has put it together yet on one bike.

Tom

I wouldn't count on Honda to build anything remotely competitive. They're perfectly happy selling minivans and civics. They've always been the derpy step child of the super sport world. They were still selling carbureted sportbikes when everyone had long moved on to fuel injection. Their answer to the RC390 is a heavy 500cc that is the pinnacle of mediocre.