KTM Orange Demo Days

ToraTora

Country flag
From time to time KTM brings out the big orange truck full of their latest toys to give folks a chance to take a test ride. They do this because most dealers will not let you test ride a bike. If you live in the SF Bay Area this month of June on the 20th Motion Pro is going to be hosting one of these events. My sources tell me that the 390 will be available for test riding. :)

I've attend these events in the past--both the dirt bike, and the street bike versions. They are a whole lot of fun. You get to ride the bikes, meet fellow enthusiasts, make new friends, and generally have a great day.

KTM is bringing the Ride Orange demo truck back to the Bay Area on Saturday, June 20th from 10AM to 4PM!

Motion Pro has been gracious enough to host the demo event at their company headquarters in San Carlos! For this round of demos KTM will have all street models from 390’s to 1290’s available for demo rides. Each guided ride will be about 20 minutes long and open to riders at least 21 years old for the 390's and 25 years old or older for the 690's and larger bikes. Riders must have a valid motorcycle license, DOT approved helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and boots. No passengers allowed

Sign-ups will take place on the day of the event only at the KTM truck on a first come basis. When a rider gets done with their ride they may then sign up again for another bike. Motion Pro will let people waiting to ride tour their museum, which is an impressive display of motorcycles.

Motion Pro
867 American Street
San Carlos, CA 94070

This event could also be a great opportunity for local 390 enthusiasts to meet up. ;)

ToraTora

Country flag
Don't feel so bad. LIke I was saying in another thread, there are a lot of nice things about living in California, but we have to pay for it. :p

ToraTora

Country flag
We actually had the KTM demo truck here too... :cool:

There use to be a page on the KTM website that listed the demo days. I couldn't find it this time, but I figured there would be other days that people would like to list, so I titled the thread something a bit more generic. :D

ASM

There use to be a page on the KTM website that listed the demo days. I couldn't find it this time, but I figured there would be other days that people would like to list, so I titled the thread something a bit more generic. :D

No worries....I was just teasing Treachery... ;)

ToraTora

Country flag
Yeah it was there very recently. I had planned to go to the Hollister dirt bike demo again this year (went last), but I had life happen. :p I did make it to the one at Scuderia. That was cool. The orange trucks drive all over the country. They pretty much have to do so since most dealers wont let you test ride bikes anymore.

ToraTora

Country flag
Well the first KTM demo day to feature the 390s in the SF Bay Area is today! ;)

Hope to meet some of you cats out there. :cool:

ToraTora

Country flag
Sadly life happened and I was unable to make it today. I hope some of you were abel to, and had a great time. :cool:

ToraTora

Country flag
I missed the previous demo, but I found out at the last moment that there was one in Redwood City today. So I went down to MotoCafe to meet folks. It was quite fun. ;)

I did learn something unsettling. KTM is actually considering halting all RC bikes. I have known for a while that the RC8 is done. I thought that was because they were bringing out a V4 to race in WSBK--kind of like when Aprilia EOLed the RSV to bring out the RSV4. Guess I was really wrong on that one. But this means the RC390 is at risk of going the way of the Dodo. They didn't even have any for demo, because no 2016 RC390's have been brought into the States. Considering how well the RC390 has sold I'm really surprised by this news. As for its validity this is the scuttle butt that was going around today. :(

tecknojoe

Country flag
Who told you that?

The RC8 was killed when the CEO came out and said that litrebikes are getting too insane for the street, and they're not going to make a new RC8 (except for the motogp prototype and customer bikes). There hasn't been any announcement of killing off the RC390, and it's used as a feeder for racing in national pro series all over the world. They have also already announced the 2016 model. Just because the US still hasn't gotten any doesn't mean the bike is dead.

psych0hans

Country flag
Who told you that?

The RC8 was killed when the CEO came out and said that litrebikes are getting too insane for the street, and they're not going to make a new RC8 (except for the motogp prototype and customer bikes). There hasn't been any announcement of killing off the RC390, and it's used as a feeder for racing in national pro series all over the world. They have also already announced the 2016 model. Just because the US still hasn't gotten any doesn't mean the bike is dead.

^ What he said... I don't believe the RC is going away anytime soon...

Treachery

Country flag
Have an inquiry out to see about '16 availability. FWIW, I hadn't gotten notice that mine was on the way yet this time last year, and it was another couple weeks before the first 390s hit the dealer.

ToraTora

Country flag
読むできない

Joe,

Has nothing to do with the inventory levels in the States, and that's not what I said either. I said they didn't have any RC390's to demo because they weren't in the States. I know on forums reading comprehension isn't usually employed before posting, but it actually does help if you use it. And maybe my California education is lacking in the writing department, and I'm not so clear. But that's what qualifying questions are all about. ;)

The rumor had to do with the company's direction--which as you have pointed out the RC8 is already being chopped due to the direction. This was the info bantered around at the KTM day on Sunday. And to point out again the error in the reading comprehension--I didn't lay claim that RC390 was dead, I clearly stated that they were "considering halting all RC bikes." Seriously dooder if you are going to get into some handle flying off action take some care in the reading, okay?

But I agree with the CEO. Most folks riding liter bikes are totally clueless, and such awesome machines in their hands is crazy. The fact that I (and I'm not a great rider by any stretch of the imagination) can out ride (many) liter riders with my goofy little fifties is some hearty empirical proof.

As for racing. As wonderful of a bike that the RC390/200/125 is/are they are street bikes. They are not race bikes, and if you think they are then you really should do some research. KTM does produce an actual feeder race bike that is based on the Moto3 bike. That's a real race bike, and a real feeder class. So even if they did discontinue the RC line it wouldn't have a dramatic effect on their feeder program.

And I'm going to push this a little bit harder just to make a point. If you are racing on an RC390 you are probably too old to be thinking of a professional racing career. It's just not a proper path to MotoGP, and probably not even good enough for WSBK. Is it good enough to have fun club racing? Sure, but lets not pretend that it's going to feed you to anything more than some good times.

P, maybe read what I actually posted. :p

T, again all I said was that's what they are considering. My response to these rumors was "really, even with all the sales they would discontinue it?" But direction is direction, and if the RC390/200/125 (which is pretty much the same bike) is all they have in the line it's not really worth the effort for them. Changing their focus to the Dukes, Adventure, etc makes a lot of marketing sense. It's totally sad because ALL of the other moto companies (even Aprilia to a large extent, but at least they have the RS4) don't seem to have nearly as much clue with regards to building a great smaller street bike.

redbullrookiescup_23021398644.middle.jpg

tecknojoe

Country flag
I was referring to the rc390 cup, which is raced all over the world, and is a feeder for younger riders getting offers to move up in motoAmerica. It also has the finale in silverstone where a handful of riders from every country are given a trip to compete for top spot.

KTM RC Cup

they race as part of motoamerica. They are more racers than any of us club people

unicorn_violence

I'm not sure if i agree KTM is considering removing all RC bikes. although they got rid of the RC8 and are working on a new adventure bike, the fact that they are entering MotoGP next year, and have the RC Cup series to me says otherwise. i feel that most companies that enter MotoGP eventually create a road bike inspired by their MotoGP bikes, especially if they win races. that is a similar thing KTM did when they decided to develop the RC390 after their success in Moto3. given the success of the bike worldwide and especially in India, i think they are going keep the RC390 for some time. the real question is are they going to fill that massive gap of their RC range. given what the CEO said about the RC8 its tough to say. however, the RC8 was a very intense bike void of any rider aids that can make a liter bike manageable. also, he has no plans of removing the Superduke which has even more power than the RC8.

my guess/hope is that if they have success in MotoGP they might develop a more refined and more tech savy RC bike; one thats filled with things like abs, traction control, launch control, etc. to compete with the other advanced liter bikes like the R1 or the Penigale.
who knows, maybe they will even develop a 600cc super sport?

probably not....but one can dream:rolleyes:

KTM RC4 690R  2.jpg

reenmachine

Country flag
Joe,

Has nothing to do with the inventory levels in the States, and that's not what I said either. I said they didn't have any RC390's to demo because they weren't in the States. I know on forums reading comprehension isn't usually employed before posting, but it actually does help if you use it. And maybe my California education is lacking in the writing department, and I'm not so clear. But that's what qualifying questions are all about. ;)

The rumor had to do with the company's direction--which as you have pointed out the RC8 is already being chopped due to the direction. This was the info bantered around at the KTM day on Sunday. And to point out again the error in the reading comprehension--I didn't lay claim that RC390 was dead, I clearly stated that they were "considering halting all RC bikes." Seriously dooder if you are going to get into some handle flying off action take some care in the reading, okay?

But I agree with the CEO. Most folks riding liter bikes are totally clueless, and such awesome machines in their hands is crazy. The fact that I (and I'm not a great rider by any stretch of the imagination) can out ride (many) liter riders with my goofy little fifties is some hearty empirical proof.

As for racing. As wonderful of a bike that the RC390/200/125 is/are they are street bikes. They are not race bikes, and if you think they are then you really should do some research. KTM does produce an actual feeder race bike that is based on the Moto3 bike. That's a real race bike, and a real feeder class. So even if they did discontinue the RC line it wouldn't have a dramatic effect on their feeder program.

And I'm going to push this a little bit harder just to make a point. If you are racing on an RC390 you are probably too old to be thinking of a professional racing career. It's just not a proper path to MotoGP, and probably not even good enough for WSBK. Is it good enough to have fun club racing? Sure, but lets not pretend that it's going to feed you to anything more than some good times.

P, maybe read what I actually posted. :p

T, again all I said was that's what they are considering. My response to these rumors was "really, even with all the sales they would discontinue it?" But direction is direction, and if the RC390/200/125 (which is pretty much the same bike) is all they have in the line it's not really worth the effort for them. Changing their focus to the Dukes, Adventure, etc makes a lot of marketing sense. It's totally sad because ALL of the other moto companies (even Aprilia to a large extent, but at least they have the RS4) don't seem to have nearly as much clue with regards to building a great smaller street bike.

I went back and read the comments again and nowhere did I see anyone remotely flying off the handle. I know in this era of keyboard cowboys it's easy to assume that's their tone when someone disagrees, but there is still a such thing as friendly disagreement, and I don't see anything but that in Joe's comments.